New Cell Phone Suggestions - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > New Cell Phone Suggestions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2013, 04:33 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts

My next phone will be a jitterbug.

Old 06-19-2013, 06:53 AM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3727 Times on 2284 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

I'm surprised no one has mentioned this:

If you don't want to contracted in, you can go to Walmart and get a pay as you go smart phone. Unlimited talk, data, texting, everything, for 45-60 dollars per month, depending on which one you get. That's what my wife and I did. We were sick of paying $160/month for two smart phones with limited data. Now we pay $95/month for two smart phones with unlimited EVERYTHING.

Cons in doing this:

-There is a limited phone selection. I personally think they are fine for my purposes. Probably will be for you too. But you will get more selection in a contract with me f the major carriers.

-the phones won't come with a warranty besides the factory warranty, which is probably only like 30 days. So buy a good case for it.

Pros in doing this:

-You will never be contracted in (it is month to month, you just buy more service) which means no hidden fees, no extra fees, NONE of that bs, which AT&T did every single month to us. Verizon did the same before I got AT&T.

-Depending on what phone you get (mine does this, my wife's doesn't) it might work off of both AT&T and Verizon's towers, rather than one or the other. This ensures you a better chance of having good signal wherever you are.

-You save money every month. Instead of paying that extra in a phone bill, you can shoot more. No brainier, right?

-As I said, you get unlimited everything for a flat rate.

-You still get a smart phone. My wife's has 4G whereas mine only has 3G, which is fine by me as it is sufficiently fast. Anyway, since you're coming from a flip phone, it will be much faster anyway :P

I could prolly go on, but I think you see the point. No, I'm not trying to sell you anything right now. I just whole heartedly believe that, now that I know about Walmart doing this, there's absolutely no reason for me to ever go back to a stupid contracted big name carrier.

Always have clean socks.

DrFootball Likes This 
Old 06-19-2013, 07:15 AM   #23
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3371 Times on 2282 Posts
Likes Given: 710

Default Yes

Did the no contract thing for a long time. Worked out ok except for not being able to txt msg. to an email. Left VZ and went to sprint 6 yrs ago. Have unlimited plus free tethering to WiFi devices(tablet or laptop) We got iPhone 4S's last spring, but we are waiting for the "6" and iOs7. Already on Apple products 30+ years!

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Old 06-19-2013, 08:31 AM   #24
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3727 Times on 2284 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFootball
Did the no contract thing for a long time. Worked out ok except for not being able to txt msg. to an email. Left VZ and went to sprint 6 yrs ago. Have unlimited plus free tethering to WiFi devices(tablet or laptop) We got iPhone 4S's last spring, but we are waiting for the "6" and iOs7. Already on Apple products 30+ years!
It might've changed since you did it. Or maybe it's different for different brands. I'm pretty sure I can text to an email. It is a smart phone, after all.

I forgot to mention, with the Walmart thing, you can get an iPhone with it too. You'll pay a boat load of money up front for the phone though. My android was right around $140 I believe. Maybe a bit cheaper than that. The iPhones they had were upwards of $600.

Always have clean socks.

Old 06-19-2013, 08:56 AM   #25
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3371 Times on 2282 Posts
Likes Given: 710

Default Also

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWSchramm View Post
It might've changed since you did it. Or maybe it's different for different brands. I'm pretty sure I can text to an email. It is a smart phone, after all.

I forgot to mention, with the Walmart thing, you can get an iPhone with it too. You'll pay a boat load of money up front for the phone though. My android was right around $140 I believe. Maybe a bit cheaper than that. The iPhones they had were upwards of $600.
Also forgot to mention that I'm in a dead spot for sprint so they GAVE me a box that turns your Ethernet cable into a mini cellphone tower. It's called AIRWAVE and it wks very well!

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...