New Camera Suggestions
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > New Camera Suggestions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2013, 02:11 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 137 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Default New Camera Suggestions

My g/f will be going on a vacation to Germany in 2 months with her family and wants to buy a digital camera for under $100. I suggested this one;

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005I6DVC0/ref=oh_details_o08_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Opinions about this one or any other suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-22-2013, 01:55 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 293 Times on 185 Posts
Likes Given: 309

I'm not a photographer but I do a lot of digital photography for work for documentation purposes. I have a Nikon D80 that costs in excess of $800 when originally purchased and a Cannon Power Shot A4000IS that currently runs about $110. I've been using the Power Shot more frequently because it's much easier to handle and it has a video recording feature that works surprisingly well for such a small package. Although I don't have any experience with the model you are looking at, it seems to have similar features as mine and, I'm sure your g/f will be happy with it. Four suggestions:
1. Bring spare AA batteries.
2. Bring spare flash memory cards
3. Set the camera to the higest resolution. You won't be able to store as many photos on the flash drives but, if you get that one photo you want to blow up to poster size it will be worth it, thus: see #2.
4. Read the owners manual and take a bunch of test photos before going to Germany. There are several different modes you can shoot in and you don't want to miss a good shot out there while your trying to figure it out. Try them by shooting the same subject and see the difference. You can leave it in default (auto) which is fine for any scenic photos but I like to control the flash settings to turn it on even if the default doesn't require it.

Good luck.

"To sit back hoping that someday, someway, someone will make things right is to go on feeding the crocodile, hoping he will eat you last--but eat you he will."

Ronald Reagan

Old 04-22-2013, 02:11 AM   #3

Liked 205 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 164

Get the 16GB memory card with it, it will take more pictures that way.

Jim

Old 04-22-2013, 04:46 PM   #4

Liked 2549 Times on 1654 Posts

Get a smart phone. Both were taken with a two year old Droid.

forumrunner_20130422_114423.jpg

forumrunner_20130422_114517.jpg

Feral cat waterboarder

Old 04-22-2013, 04:56 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1069 Times on 718 Posts
Likes Given: 1626

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruger_Nut View Post
My g/f will be going on a vacation to Germany in 2 months with her family and wants to buy a digital camera for under $100. I suggested this one;

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005I6DVC0/ref=oh_details_o08_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Opinions about this one or any other suggestions are greatly appreciated.
I use this one as my Nikon back up and around the house camera. Also bought an underwater case for 20$ and shot some under water stuff in Bora Bora. Versatile and sturdy. I can also recommend this case as well.

Old 04-22-2013, 09:26 PM   #6

Liked 1133 Times on 737 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

I own sony , nikon and canon point and shoot cameras, I just prefer the canon over them all , It takes the best daytime pics but slacks in the low light picture dept ,its the fastest from on to shutter than any of them , so you wont miss that picture if your in a hurry ., My Nikon takes better night pics because it has a better flash but day pics aren't as brilliant .
Go to Best Buy even if you dont buy it there and try a few out see how fast you can turn it on and shutter the first pic, take some pics zoomed out all the way and see how they look on the review, , put it in macro and take some within inches of something and review them , Force flash it and see how those look . I always do this before I buy , I want to know whats going to work best for my use .

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens

Old 04-22-2013, 09:41 PM   #7
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2665 Times on 1297 Posts
Likes Given: 1320

Ruger,

My Wife has a great little Camera. Zoom Lens, Flash and all. It also takes fantastic picutres and you can download them on your laptop or computer to transfer to a CD or Card or print photos when you get back home.
It is a SONY Digital Cyber-Shot 14.1 Mega-Pixels it has the Carl Zeiss Glass Lens (Some of the best glass available) Also has a port for attaching a small Tri-Pod. You can find them for under $100.00 if you shop around on the Internet.
It is a fine small digital camera!

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 04-23-2013, 02:44 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 941 Times on 573 Posts
Likes Given: 206

Double the advice on highest resolution setting. Take extra flash cards, and if it all possible back up to a computer or the web.

Canon P&S do a great job!

Old 04-23-2013, 02:52 AM   #9

Liked 1195 Times on 713 Posts
Likes Given: 381

Purehavoc is right. Go to Best Buy or your local camera store and play with one. Then buy the one you like. Canon, Nikon, Sony it really is personal preference. Resolution is going to be irrelevant, don't worry about it. Worry about how comfortable you are using it.

If you are thinking about eye-fi card then Nikon has the best compatibility.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Old 04-23-2013, 02:53 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 338 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 113

I had a cell phone for two years before somebody showed me it had a camera on it. I'm pretty sure my advice on this matter would be absolutely worthless.

old farts rule....

"The government did not write the constitution to give rights to the people. The people wrote the constitution to limit the government's power."

LIFETIME NRA MEMBER SINCE 1977