New Browser in the Browser wars - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > New Browser in the Browser wars

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2008, 04:52 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Google assists the Red Chinese too.

But, hey, there's a bunch of flavors of Unix with plenty of desktop applications.

As for Chevy's, well the law in Mexico may be anti-gun, but then in Mexico, the law is, well, optional. That's a lot different than what goes on in Red China.

Old 10-14-2008, 11:38 AM   #12

Liked 36 Times on 30 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FALPhil View Post
Google assists the Red Chinese too.

But, hey, there's a bunch of flavors of Unix with plenty of desktop applications.

As for Chevy's, well the law in Mexico may be anti-gun, but then in Mexico, the law is, well, optional. That's a lot different than what goes on in Red China.
How is one oppressive government different from another?

You better go and tell your wife to give up all her diamond jewelry because it is mined in a country that is oppressive.

I see if it suites your taste to not like something because of how they look at life like google then it is ok. But watching movies and eating are not the same right? Driving a car from a company that uses almost slave labor to built their cars and trucks is ok because "well the law is optional in Mexico". To me that is called two faced.

Old 10-14-2008, 11:46 AM   #13
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Well then you better take and give your computers away now. Why because Microsoft is tailoring their OS to help the Chinese Govt block Internet sights it deems harmful to their people.
Been using Linux as a primary desktop solution since the early 1990's. (Then again, I'm a Solaris sysadmin and using Linux is second nature to me.)

Quote:
Me I could give a rats butt about what the owners like and don't like.
When possible, try not to support our enemies. Wal-Mart has low prices, yes, but the vast majority of the stuff sold there comes from China. Look at the labels on the stuff you're buying. Set it down if it says "Made in China" and look for an American-made alternative.

Quote:
I just would like to say that I did uninstall it why? well I found it was scanning my hard drive. That is a no thank you from me. no matter what company you are. I told them that I would not be using chrome because of that feature.
That was my concern exactly. And you're right that it wouldn't matter what the nature of the company is that is doing the snooping. But it is telling that Google really is very left-leaning and sees nothing wrong with examining and analyzing your information without your consent.

Old 10-14-2008, 12:51 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 54 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 12

BKT,

If you try to find an alternate for "Made in China" products, you will end up with "Made in Korea" products. I looked and looked for a "Made in USA" label at Wallyworld, and I couldn't hardly find one... not as an alternate product anyway!

Old 10-14-2008, 05:23 PM   #15
bkt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark F View Post
BKT,

If you try to find an alternate for "Made in China" products, you will end up with "Made in Korea" products. I looked and looked for a "Made in USA" label at Wallyworld, and I couldn't hardly find one... not as an alternate product anyway!
That is sadly true. But I'd rather buy from an ally like Korea than an enemy.

Check these out: http://www.madeinusa.org/ http://www.madeinusa.com/ http://www.stillmadeinusa.com/

Old 10-15-2008, 01:20 AM   #16

Liked 9 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkt View Post
That is sadly true. But I'd rather buy from an ally like Korea than an enemy.

Check these out: http://www.madeinusa.org/ http://www.madeinusa.com/ http://www.stillmadeinusa.com/
And they have hot, hot wimmin too.....

9x18=Makarov

Old 10-16-2008, 06:32 AM   #17

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark F View Post
BKT,

This is truly sad. Remember when Wallyworld used to advertise "Buy American" and claimed everything they sold was made in America?

I was considering installing Chrome, but when I heard about the drive scanning and possible data collecting, I decided Internet Exploder wasn't the only evil browser out there. Firefox has been good to me lately. I'll take a little slower performance for enhanced security and a name other than Microsoft (or Google, now).

Old 10-16-2008, 01:52 PM   #18

Hey Cpt Tango 30,

How do you find out if a search engine is scanning your hard drive? How do find out if ANYBODY is scanning your harddrive?

Does Firefox do this? Does the Google search engine do this?

Just wondering.....

Old 10-16-2008, 02:41 PM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 54 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwoods View Post
Hey Cpt Tango 30,

How do you find out if a search engine is scanning your hard drive? How do find out if ANYBODY is scanning your harddrive?

Just wondering.....
You can "HEAR" it running your harddrive. You can also see it... your HDD busy light will turn on and off frequently.

Old 10-16-2008, 05:57 PM   #20
bkt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwoods View Post
Hey Cpt Tango 30,

Just wondering.....
If you're technically inclined, you can detect unusual hard disk activity and monitor and analyze outgoing network packets.

But if, after installing Chrome and making no other updates to your PC, you see your HD thrashing every so often, it's a pretty good indicator something is going on and Chrome might be a likely reason why. Maybe it's reindexing its cookie cache, and maybe it's looking on your hard drive for information "to make your browsing experience even better". Being the paranoid sort that I am, Chrome won't be installed anytime soon on any of my PCs.