New Billy Badasses - Page 7
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > New Billy Badasses

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2013, 03:49 PM   #61
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 276 Times on 189 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter

2nd, Avenge Sevenfold is pretty good. So is Five Finger Death Punch.
This FTW!!!

Old 07-28-2013, 05:01 PM   #62
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3729 Times on 2286 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizord1

This FTW!!!
I'm 25 years old and I can't stand most of the new music coming out. Most heavy metal bands don't know how to truly play a guitar. Power cords, anyone? Give me a break.

I listen to stuff from the 50s-80s. Hendrix, Zeppelin, Joplin, Skynyrd, Elvis, ACDC, ZZ Top, Clapton, Cream, Beatles, etc. etc. etc.

That's the good stuff.
People Like This 
Old 07-28-2013, 05:33 PM   #63
Lifetime Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 9081 Times on 5276 Posts
Likes Given: 11970

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbd512 View Post
Our son told me he knew "all about driving" while I was in the car teaching him how to drive. I'd been driving for as long as he'd been alive at that point, but what the hell do I know.

Anyhow, about a minute after making that statement, he ran the car over the curb in a parking lot going about 5 mph. He wasn't backing up or turning, just moving off in one direction. I guess it sorta snuck up on him.

I yelled at him and he was visibly upset over it. Afterwards, he told me that he didn't want to drive with me because he thought I was upset that he would wreck the car. I replied "Were you concerned at all about the people in the car?... Because we were in the damn car!"

He was 16 then. He's 19 now. He's going into his second year in college at UT. His grades are excellent, which I am thankful for, but he still doesn't have a damn driver's license and has never held a job of any kind.

He and his girlfriend have stayed at our house all summer thus far. On rare occasion, they're out of bed before 4 PM. Who sleeps until 4 PM every day? They stay up all night and play video games. Neither of them have a driver's license yet. Go figure.

After he came home from college, he decided I needed a lecture about medical ethics (he wants to be a pharmacist). Perhaps a week later they were both sick in bed, but he refused to see a doctor and stated that perhaps he could go to the doctor and figure out what was wrong with him so that he could get a prescription so his girlfriend, who does not have medical insurance, could take it because he refused to do so. I wasn't even sure where to begin with his statement about that. Thankfully they both lived.

This generation of kids worries me. I just want to know what goes on in their heads.
For the life of me I cannot understand how a parent could let that happen to their kid unless the kid has some developmental disability. Even then I know some of those kids who are more productive than that by that age. My oldest son is 17 and has just finished a 6 week (unpaid) internship at a car dealership. He was told that if he applies for a job when he turns 18 he will have one. He has been working odd jobs since he was 13. Yesterday he and I were up at 02:00 for a job and tonight we are working at 18:00 again. He gets out of bed by 10:00 when he isn't working that day. His 15-year-old brother is on the same track, but he gets out of bed by 07:00 every day and doesn't have a regular job yet because of his age. They both work at the elementary school most weekday afternoons.

Like I say, I can't imagine.

Old 07-28-2013, 05:39 PM   #64
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1293 Times on 720 Posts
Likes Given: 561

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter View Post
THAT, right there is the truth. My wife is a teacher, ok, more like a babysitter, and those kids are coddled like you wouldn't believe. Also if a kid is an idiot, they're not allowed to hold them back a year...

Speaking of which......KBD512, no disrespect or anything........WHY do you let them live there (I assume rent-free since they don't have jobs), stay up all night, get up late, etc? If he has no car, no job experience, or anything, how's he supposed to cope in a few years when all of a sudden he graduates, and is expected to become a professional, and deal with all that comes with it? Are you going to give him a ride to work everyday?
Well, he's my step-son and I try to let his mother make those decisions. She's not happy about it, either, but hasn't done anything about it yet except complain to me about it incessantly.

I've asked him and his mother all those questions and more. It all comes down to personal responsibility and he doesn't have any as far as I can tell. That needs to change. Next summer his girlfriend isn't living here with us until they both get their drivers' licenses and jobs. I'm tired of his mother complaining about it and I'm tired of him expecting everything to be handed to him.

My favorite incident was when we gave him the money for college but he failed to pay the college on time because he couldn't get out of bed, waited until the last day to pay, and was then upset because he didn't get the classes he wanted. I tried to get angry about it, and his mother certainly was, but I just laughed.

Old 07-28-2013, 05:47 PM   #65
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8508 Times on 5086 Posts
Likes Given: 11141

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter View Post
Speaking of which......KBD512, no disrespect or anything........WHY do you let them live there (I assume rent-free since they don't have jobs), stay up all night, get up late, etc? If he has no car, no job experience, or anything, how's he supposed to cope in a few years when all of a sudden he graduates, and is expected to become a professional, and deal with all that comes with it? Are you going to give him a ride to work everyday?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkill0084 View Post
You are a MUCH more tolerant person than I am.
Maybe you need to drop him at a military recruiting office. That waking up at 4:00 PM will become 0400 with some guy in a "Smokey the Bear Hat" screaming at him. Kinda makes you smile thinking about it, doesn't it?
I would not tolerate that, either.

Old 07-28-2013, 05:51 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
For the life of me I cannot understand how a parent could let that happen to their kid unless the kid has some developmental disability. Even then I know some of those kids who are more productive than that by that age. My oldest son is 17 and has just finished a 6 week (unpaid) internship at a car dealership. He was told that if he applies for a job when he turns 18 he will have one. He has been working odd jobs since he was 13. Yesterday he and I were up at 02:00 for a job and tonight we are working at 18:00 again. He gets out of bed by 10:00 when he isn't working that day. His 15-year-old brother is on the same track, but he gets out of bed by 07:00 every day and doesn't have a regular job yet because of his age. They both work at the elementary school most weekday afternoons.

Like I say, I can't imagine.
I've had a formal job since I was old enough to work and get paid, but the kids today are not like the kids of yore.

Since I was about 8 or 9 until 15, I worked for my grandfather all summer around his house and garage and he taught landscaping, carpentry, plumbing, roofing, and other mechanical skills to me. Working with him was about as good a job as I could ever ask for and I learned more from him about hard work than I did from anyone else.

Working with my father and grandfather was treated as a privilege, and one that they expected you to work hard for. After I joined the Navy, I found out that my grandfather had paid my parents for the work that I did for him and they had opened an account in my name and told me I could use the money for whatever I wanted. I saved that money and the money I earned from my pay and bought my first rifle with it.

Old 07-28-2013, 05:57 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkill0084 View Post
You are a MUCH more tolerant person than I am.
Maybe you need to drop him at a military recruiting office. That waking up at 4:00 PM will become 0400 with some guy in a "Smokey the Bear Hat" screaming at him. Kinda makes you smile thinking about it, doesn't it?
They let you sleep to 0400? What service was that?

Our instructors used to get us up fairly regularly at 0330 (to make sure we had enough time to 3S and PT, or so we were told).

Old 07-28-2013, 05:58 PM   #68
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 9081 Times on 5276 Posts
Likes Given: 11970

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbd512 View Post
I've had a formal job since I was old enough to work and get paid, but the kids today are not like the kids of yore.

Since I was about 8 or 9 until 15, I worked for my grandfather all summer around his house and garage and he taught landscaping, carpentry, plumbing, roofing, and other mechanical skills to me. Working with him was about as good a job as I could ever ask for and I learned more from him about hard work than I did from anyone else.

Working with my father and grandfather was treated as a privilege, and one that they expected you to work hard for. After I joined the Navy, I found out that my grandfather had paid my parents for the work that I did for him and they had opened an account in my name and told me I could use the money for whatever I wanted. I saved that money and the money I earned from my pay and bought my first rifle with it.
My kids are currently 15 and 17. They keep the money they earn but are told that half of it must be saved.

I had a similar childhood as you. First job when I was 13, I moved out when I was 17 and moved back home a year later because going to school full time and working full time was too difficult. Mom charged me a nominal amount for rent. When I moved out again I was told that I could not move back in again. Kicked out of the nest so to speak. But she had kept the rent money I had paid and she gave it to me to use for my new place. It really helped out.

Old 07-28-2013, 05:59 PM   #69
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1932 Times on 1369 Posts
Likes Given: 2183

Default Billy bobs, etc.............

Givem time, they'll come round. How many times can you beat a red neck or a yankee to death before he hollers uncle............. Dumb coonass here.....................

Old 07-28-2013, 06:04 PM   #70
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...

Liked 3380 Times on 2286 Posts
Likes Given: 710

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbd512
Our son told me he knew "all about driving" while I was in the car teaching him how to drive. I'd been driving for as long as he'd been alive at that point, but what the hell do I know.

Anyhow, about a minute after making that statement, he ran the car over the curb in a parking lot going about 5 mph. He wasn't backing up or turning, just moving off in one direction. I guess it sorta snuck up on him.

I yelled at him and he was visibly upset over it. Afterwards, he told me that he didn't want to drive with me because he thought I was upset that he would wreck the car. I replied "Were you concerned at all about the people in the car?... Because we were in the damn car!"

He was 16 then. He's 19 now. He's going into his second year in college at UT. His grades are excellent, which I am thankful for, but he still doesn't have a damn driver's license and has never held a job of any kind.

He and his girlfriend have stayed at our house all summer thus far. On rare occasion, they're out of bed before 4 PM. Who sleeps until 4 PM every day? They stay up all night and play video games. Neither of them have a driver's license yet. Go figure.

After he came home from college, he decided I needed a lecture about medical ethics (he wants to be a pharmacist). Perhaps a week later they were both sick in bed, but he refused to see a doctor and stated that perhaps he could go to the doctor and figure out what was wrong with him so that he could get a prescription so his girlfriend, who does not have medical insurance, could take it because he refused to do so. I wasn't even sure where to begin with his statement about that. Thankfully they both lived.

This generation of kids worries me. I just want to know what goes on in their heads.
Yes,..this Gen. scares me. I have seen their test scores(even the non-Spec. ed kids). oneof the reasons i'm out of ed.
(I) got tired of the parents, and my BOSSES making excuses for them.

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...
Axxe55 Likes This