Neighborly thing to do !
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Neighborly thing to do !

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2014, 09:54 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3305 Times on 1860 Posts
Likes Given: 18891

Default Neighborly thing to do !

I have a neighbor that is really a good ole guy . He broke his ankle this week , bummer .

Well , I needed seven chords to get through the cold comfortably . Proper cloths and I'm good to go .

Ole Carl has radiant heat , a big old wood burner outside . These systems are quite comfortable unlike a gas or electric furnace . They don't suck all the moisture out because they heat fluid that runs through a special 'Flex-Hose' , usually running within the floor .

The out side burner pumps fluid via electric pump through a copper coil within the burner . This coil moderately controls this fluid through the coil which gives it enough time to heat the water . It's controlled by how hot you burn or a variable speed pump , the time the fluid spends in the furnace .

Two weeks ago my wood bin was empty . Eeeeek...!

File Type: jpg image.jpg (32.0 KB, 60 views)

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-20-2014, 10:23 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3305 Times on 1860 Posts
Likes Given: 18891

Default Two more days , huraaaaaay !

All the wood is cut to length and just needs split and it , (MY STORAGE BIN) looks like this ! I will have more than I need in two days , over eight chords .

Each row is a chord and a half + ! I am three full rows and the is three quarter full ! Finish off row four and one more full row , I got all I need and then some !

Carl , though I love the guy can be a stubborn , bone head at times . He won't ask for help . I am so far ahead of schedule , more than enough wood .

He's got the wood which he buys by the truck load , 20 ft. Long and from 8" to 14" in diameter , enough for two years of tough cold winters . $900 - $1000
Delivered . Considering heating bills in the snow belt , well , this is a bargain .

I invested in all new toys just for getting fire wood . That splitter , I love it and that new chain saw , swapped out the anti-kickback chains for a real man eater aggressive chains . I'm about three times faster than last year .

Saturday , I'm not even gonna ask ! All my new toys and my shooting muffs I'm coming . Carl's' got too much pride and can be some what unreasonable . We through the short years I've been hear have helped each other many times so hear I come ! he will pay though , my Rage Against the Machine CD . HE HATES MY TASTE IN MUSIC ,

Oh yeah , my wood bin now !

File Type: jpg image.jpg (32.1 KB, 57 views)
Old 09-21-2014, 02:33 AM   #3
McCool@email.com
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7442 Times on 4062 Posts
Likes Given: 15320

Good for you on both counts.

No offense and none taken (̿▀̿ ̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿)̄

dango Likes This 
Old 09-21-2014, 02:40 AM   #4
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2108 Times on 1156 Posts
Likes Given: 629

Tools are nice but it still is not an easy job. Been there and done that. I left a bunch of firewood when we left WA.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I am not older than dirt but the rocks were bigger and there were more of them when I was a kid.

dango Likes This 
Old 09-21-2014, 03:07 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2215 Times on 1547 Posts
Likes Given: 1148

Your heating is not really low tech! I will have to read again to understand how it works

Old 09-21-2014, 05:14 AM   #6

Liked 367 Times on 222 Posts
Likes Given: 6

dango, what state do you live in? just tryin to gauge how cold it gets in the winter & how long it lasts. mad props to you for getting all that firewood together. I was a tree cutter for a summer in high school & even at that age it wasn't an easy job but, like you said, good tools made it easier.

around here, trees don't grow as well as they do in most states. we always marvel at the pine tree growing out of a rock at 8000 feet in Montana. if you tried to plant that same tree in most peoples back yards around here, it would never grow. so coal is the cheap fuel of choice, it's close to the surface & plentiful. a friends dad still runs a coal furnace in his house, I think it costs him around $35 a ton plus delivery. to heat his house for our long North Dakota winters ends up being like $20 month

All I've had today is like 6 gummi bears & some scotch

Old 09-21-2014, 02:42 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1302 Times on 846 Posts
Likes Given: 2728

Good for you Dango!

Helping out folks when you can and getting a little help when you need it is what it's all about.