Neighborhood Speeders
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Neighborhood Speeders

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2012, 04:02 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 82 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Default Neighborhood Speeders

What's a good remedy for a neighborhood speeder? My street ends in a culdesac (spelling?). The house at the end of the street is one of those that just constantly has people coming and going and they absolutely fly down my street. Christmas Eve Day, a couple of streets down, a speeder hit a 7 yr old girl retrieving a ball out of the street and killed her instantly. There are a lot of kids on my street and this is a worry for all of my neighbors as well. We have tried talking with the idiots and they're just a bunch of smartazzes. (Doesn't exactly go well with my temper. Lol) Obviously we have spoken with police but when these people see a cop car in the middle of the street they damn sure don't speed then. I can think of endless illegal ways of getting them to rethink their decision to speed down my street. It's the legal ones that I'm having a hard time coming up with.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-11-2012, 04:09 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1142 Times on 744 Posts
Likes Given: 677

ask the town for speed bumps? or a spike strip hehe

when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Old 01-11-2012, 04:13 PM   #3

Liked 62 Times on 51 Posts

In my city, it's the volume and frequency of calls to city hall that determines what is done. Everything from stepped-up patrols, to installing 20 mph speed "humps". The way the humps are designed, you can actually hit them at 20mph, and it is like going over a smooth little hill. And unlike speed "bumps", that limit ones speed only to the extent of which one is willing to abuse their vehicle, these things will bounce your @$$ off of the headliner of the car if you hit them too fast. They have worked VERY well in my neighborhood.

Old 01-11-2012, 04:18 PM   #4
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 698 Times on 387 Posts
Likes Given: 729

Can you set up a camera? Maybe try turning the footage over to police?

I'm sorry to hear you're having issues. I had to deal with one once and he got froggy but stopped.

Not Registered? Register now! - It's free and helps the community grow.

Old 01-11-2012, 05:11 PM   #5

Thanks for the feedback. Believe me, I wanted to make my own spike strips and toss out there but thought better of it. Sounds like I need to encourage the neighbors to call the police every time these fools speed down our street. May make a call to the city this afternoon and get there take on adding a speed bump. Thanks again guys.

Old 01-11-2012, 05:13 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by notdku
Can you set up a camera? Maybe try turning the footage over to police?

I'm sorry to hear you're having issues. I had to deal with one once and he got froggy but stopped.
Good idea. May just need to set up one of my game cameras in the front yard.

Old 01-11-2012, 05:41 PM   #7

Liked 1000 Times on 598 Posts
Likes Given: 16

It may just be a temporary fix but throw a couple of 2x4s out in the street in front of your house. If these people think they have to be in a hurry all of the time then they will probably be to lazy to get out and move them. It will make them slow down thinking there may be nails in them

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

Old 01-11-2012, 05:43 PM   #8

Liked 226 Times on 141 Posts

Man I hope whoever killed that little girl went to jail,I wonder what the law would say If someone tried to shoot him for fleeing the scene...

Anyways go through your local authorities first,if that doesn't work try politely and sincerly telling them a 7 year old was killed by a speeder just a block or two away and they might wanna slow down a bit. If that fails,and your close with the other neighboors and theyre on the same page.take note of who's doing it and wait till dark and no one is looking and bust out a taillight and get outa there before they get a chance to see you.

Disclaimer: the last statement was a "joke" and I do not advise the breaking of any laws.

.........but really

Old 01-11-2012, 06:25 PM   #9

Liked 9204 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyj
Sounds like I need to encourage the neighbors to call the police every time these fools speed down our street.
I like this idea. Enough calls from enough different people will get things done, sometimes rather quickly. Request speed humps specifically, and explain what happens when a cop sits in the road and how you know the cop could be serving the community elsewhere. Tell all your neighbors to do so too.

And if they hit anyone, take care of it.

Old 01-11-2012, 06:37 PM   #10
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6563 Times on 3635 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
And if they hit anyone, take care of it.
By take care of it, do you mean shoot, shovel, and shut up?

Calling the cops every time they speed would probable get things done, so would the countless tickets from being caught on video.