Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Neighborhood Speeders (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/neighborhood-speeders-55268/)

luckyj 01-11-2012 04:02 PM

Neighborhood Speeders

What's a good remedy for a neighborhood speeder? My street ends in a culdesac (spelling?). The house at the end of the street is one of those that just constantly has people coming and going and they absolutely fly down my street. Christmas Eve Day, a couple of streets down, a speeder hit a 7 yr old girl retrieving a ball out of the street and killed her instantly. There are a lot of kids on my street and this is a worry for all of my neighbors as well. We have tried talking with the idiots and they're just a bunch of smartazzes. (Doesn't exactly go well with my temper. Lol) Obviously we have spoken with police but when these people see a cop car in the middle of the street they damn sure don't speed then. I can think of endless illegal ways of getting them to rethink their decision to speed down my street. It's the legal ones that I'm having a hard time coming up with.

jjfuller1 01-11-2012 04:09 PM

ask the town for speed bumps? or a spike strip hehe

Chandler51 01-11-2012 04:13 PM

In my city, it's the volume and frequency of calls to city hall that determines what is done. Everything from stepped-up patrols, to installing 20 mph speed "humps". The way the humps are designed, you can actually hit them at 20mph, and it is like going over a smooth little hill. And unlike speed "bumps", that limit ones speed only to the extent of which one is willing to abuse their vehicle, these things will bounce your @$$ off of the headliner of the car if you hit them too fast. They have worked VERY well in my neighborhood.

notdku 01-11-2012 04:18 PM

Can you set up a camera? Maybe try turning the footage over to police?

I'm sorry to hear you're having issues. I had to deal with one once and he got froggy but stopped.

luckyj 01-11-2012 05:11 PM

Thanks for the feedback. Believe me, I wanted to make my own spike strips and toss out there but thought better of it. Sounds like I need to encourage the neighbors to call the police every time these fools speed down our street. May make a call to the city this afternoon and get there take on adding a speed bump. Thanks again guys.

luckyj 01-11-2012 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notdku
Can you set up a camera? Maybe try turning the footage over to police?

I'm sorry to hear you're having issues. I had to deal with one once and he got froggy but stopped.

Good idea. May just need to set up one of my game cameras in the front yard.

MrWray 01-11-2012 05:41 PM

It may just be a temporary fix but throw a couple of 2x4s out in the street in front of your house. If these people think they have to be in a hurry all of the time then they will probably be to lazy to get out and move them. It will make them slow down thinking there may be nails in them

Jstrong 01-11-2012 05:43 PM

Man I hope whoever killed that little girl went to jail,I wonder what the law would say If someone tried to shoot him for fleeing the scene...

Anyways go through your local authorities first,if that doesn't work try politely and sincerly telling them a 7 year old was killed by a speeder just a block or two away and they might wanna slow down a bit. If that fails,and your close with the other neighboors and theyre on the same page.take note of who's doing it and wait till dark and no one is looking and bust out a taillight and get outa there before they get a chance to see you.

Disclaimer: the last statement was a "joke" and I do not advise the breaking of any laws.

.........but really

trip286 01-11-2012 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luckyj
Sounds like I need to encourage the neighbors to call the police every time these fools speed down our street.

I like this idea. Enough calls from enough different people will get things done, sometimes rather quickly. Request speed humps specifically, and explain what happens when a cop sits in the road and how you know the cop could be serving the community elsewhere. Tell all your neighbors to do so too.

And if they hit anyone, take care of it.

texaswoodworker 01-11-2012 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trip286 (Post 674228)
And if they hit anyone, take care of it.

By take care of it, do you mean shoot, shovel, and shut up? :D

Calling the cops every time they speed would probable get things done, so would the countless tickets from being caught on video.