Need A Thing A Ma Jig?
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Need A Thing A Ma Jig?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2014, 05:29 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1893 Times on 1216 Posts
Likes Given: 4244

Default Need A Thing A Ma Jig?

I'm building a jig for laying down marking lines on tenons for woodworking. I won't go into all the boring details but I need some sort of small metal pin that I can insert into the jig. I need something that is about an 1/8" in diameter and comes to a very sharp point in the center of the pin. A pin that is flat on the end with almost a small needle sticking out would be ideal, but a pin that comes to a very sharp point almost like a pencil would also work. The point will be used to scratch a fine line in wood so the sharper and finer the better. I've seen thousands of such pins but I have no idea where to find just a pin off the shelf like this so are there any ideas?????

It could be a pin for anything. I just need some ideas as to where to look. Thanks...
dango Likes This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-19-2014, 05:36 PM   #2
McCool@email.com
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 8767 Times on 4725 Posts
Likes Given: 18563

Use a nail

No offense and none taken
Old 07-19-2014, 06:13 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4293 Times on 2389 Posts
Likes Given: 21590

This pin , is a permanpart of the finished product or some temporary use just to locate the pieces ?

If used as a temporary locating device learther works makes a heavy, duty hand awl for seams on heavy gauge leather with a very comfortable blunt handle .
And they are quite affordable .

It all depends. On it's function ! Hope that helps !
MisterMcCool Likes This 
Old 07-19-2014, 06:25 PM   #4
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2798 Times on 1530 Posts
Likes Given: 799

Combination squares come with a needle like you described. Price range is $5-$50. You could also buy a scratch awl or an ice pick. You can also get heavy pins with ball ends at craft stores. I have also found that an Exacto knife works quite well.
dango Likes This 
Old 07-19-2014, 06:28 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by dango View Post
This pin , is a permanpart of the finished product or some temporary use just to locate the pieces ?

If used as a temporary locating device learther works makes a heavy, duty hand awl for seams on heavy gauge leather with a very comfortable blunt handle .
And they are quite affordable .

It all depends. On it's function ! Hope that helps !
It will be permanent and needs to be short (about 3/8" long) but I can cut something to length if needed. It will be inserted in a long square piece of wood with two wooded dowels on the ends. I tried finding a picture of something similar for reference but I couldn't find anything.

A nail won't work because it isn't nearly sharp enough and the point isn't precisely centered. I've seen something similar to what I have in mind I just can't remember what it was?????
dango Likes This 
Old 07-19-2014, 06:39 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1538 Times on 1047 Posts
Likes Given: 1672

Why not just snap a chalk line ?..................
Old 07-19-2014, 06:50 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
Combination squares come with a needle like you described. Price range is $5-$50. You could also buy a scratch awl or an ice pick. You can also get heavy pins with ball ends at craft stores. I have also found that an Exacto knife works quite well.
I would much rather use a blade for layout lines but I need a centered point for this. I will check my square... That may be where I saw what I've got in mind!!!!

Here is a center finding gauge that is similar to what I want to do (the first little gauge after pressing play and not the one shown):

Rather than a hole in the center for a pencil I want to put two pins in equal distance on each side of center. That would let me scribe two parallel lines and their width would always be in proportion to the thickness of the board. That way I wouldn't have to measure the thickness of the board and then calculate the width of the tenon. So I need a pin that is almost like a short dowel but with a needle sticking out.

And the gauge in that Youtube clip can be modified by putting dowels at various widths on each of the 4 sides of the gauge. That lets you use it on different width boards without all the extra space like in that one.

Last edited by TLuker; 07-19-2014 at 06:53 PM.
dango Likes This 
Old 07-19-2014, 07:07 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 10425 Times on 4495 Posts
Likes Given: 1656

Smaller than 1/8", but sharp- Map tacks. map-tack-3119875.jpg
Old 07-19-2014, 07:28 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Smaller than 1/8", but sharp- Map tacks. Attachment 147056
Now that's getting close!!! It would have to be the same diameter at both ends to keep the tip centered, and I'm not sure if I can find one with no tapper? But I will look next time I go to the store.

Old 07-20-2014, 03:42 AM   #10

Liked 358 Times on 201 Posts
Likes Given: 292

Replacement points for a pocket scriber?

http://www.amazon.com/Moody-Tools-51-1517-Reversible-Carbide/dp/B0026GJQS8/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1405827560&sr=8-10&keywords=carbide+scriber+point

Or..... how about a transfer punch?

http://www.amazon.com/Individual-Spotter-Transfer-Punch-Spellmaco/dp/B002SLHC64

Last edited by Highpower; 07-20-2014 at 03:55 AM. Reason: additional link