Need some weight gain advice..! - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Need some weight gain advice..!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2013, 05:58 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4792 Times on 2680 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

Hey Dango get one of these gals that are good with their hands.

carpenter.jpg  
Old 05-03-2013, 06:31 AM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1499 Times on 981 Posts
Likes Given: 3245

Just remember to let your body be what it needs to be, and not what you want it to be. You want bulk but that comes from lifting, which I'm guessing is not what your back needs. Forget about bulk and work on flexibility. Instead of weights check out Yoga. Instead of worrying about the big muscles work on your abs which will take stress off your back. If you want a good workout try swimming which will take stress off your joints. Forget the vanity and focus on health.

Old 05-03-2013, 07:29 AM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3455 Times on 1933 Posts
Likes Given: 19282

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLuker View Post
Just remember to let your body be what it needs to be, and not what you want it to be. You want bulk but that comes from lifting, which I'm guessing is not what your back needs. Forget about bulk and work on flexibility. Instead of weights check out Yoga. Instead of worrying about the big muscles work on your abs which will take stress off your back. If you want a good workout try swimming which will take stress off your joints. Forget the vanity and focus on health.
I've been a practicing martial arts student and moss most of my life..! I was stuck in bed for months and did all I could manage as to flexibility..!
I was way ready to get out of that bed before I even got out..,! When I was home in my portable (MASH) unit, "Home Theater , Huge TV , KICK BUTT AUDIO ,I was sleeping with my KATANA and my wife..! My limitations are pretty much from the diaphragm to the base of my skull and not the lumbar
Area so , it's no major load bearing damage..!
I just want to thank everybody here and there are no finer a group of people's I've ever had the honor and pleasure to carry on as it were...!
THANKS REALLY....!

Old 05-03-2013, 07:32 AM   #24
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitestalker View Post
Hey Dango get one of these gals that are good with their hands.
May I have two...? She's got legs...! I MEAN LEGS.!

Old 05-03-2013, 08:05 AM   #25

Liked 114 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 114

There are many many weight bearing muscle building exercises that you can do without involving your spine much. Get some books. Look a number of different ones so that you get a good representation - and not some quack or some radical's cutesy "exercise du jour".
Work both your upper body and your lower body. It's a good thing to do upper body exercises one day, and lower body exercises another day. Do both upper and lower to keep your body balanced in strength. Also for balance, do your "front" muscles and then your "back" muscles on each "part".
Work on your "core" strength - your middle - trunk - front all angles.

Again, get some books. Just be wary of "trick" books or fad stuff or some technique that some idiot is trying to make money and reputation with.

You need weight training - then proper nutrition - along with bunches of protein immediately after exercising and continuing for a couple of days after. You should alternate exercises, i.e. body parts. Two days rest between ... then three days rest between. Don't lift everyday- the same body part - and it's really good to skip a day between weight days - so do aerobics on the off-weight days. Alternate. Weights one day, aerobics the next ... then weights again - but a different set of body parts than the first day. Keep this pattern going .. with good nutrition and protein.

For aerobics - lots of things are good... bicycling - especially recumbent stationery bike for your back would be excellent. Even walking would be good for your aerobic day. Work towards a good "hard" (that is relative term but you will recognize it and work up to harder levels - if you proceed with this stuff) 30 minutes for your aerobics. If you have trouble or have other health stuff going on that you haven't divulged - go at a pace that is good for you - but strive to increase the pace.

Don't eat crap. Your body becomes what you eat. It wants good nutrition when it works hard - in order to build itself properly. Don't be putting weight on by following crappy advice to eat a bunch of crap. Your body is not crap and you don't want it to become crap.
And don't eat too much.

The muscle mass comes from the protein you take in. But your body won't want to increase muscle mass (or strength) until you load it down with weight work (tax it). Then it will respond and need the protein to "repair" the work you've done. The build will be slower at your age because us old guys have lower levels of testosterone. But don't worry, it'll still work.

Don't do too much aerobics. It takes pounds off - if done too much. And it will take muscle pounds with it if you don't have sufficient fat. It doesn't care - it just needs food - and your body can convert protein into energy for aerobic activity, too. Look at hard core runners, that do not do weight lifting also. Most are stringy and kinda emaciated looking. Don't go there.

Weights - alternate - aerobics (30 minutes)
Eat well, bunches of protein.

Protein supplements are excellent - it's difficult to eat enough meat to supply the total protein needs in a weight program. Use whey protein (it is a milk byproduct). Don't use plant proteins (bean, etc derived). Plant proteins are not complete proteins - they lack some amino acids of meat - and the body has a more difficult time utilizing them than meats, for that reason. Whey proteins are the "curds and whey" that you remember from childhood sayings. Years ago cheese makers used to throw out the leftover whey - left over from the cheese making process - as waste. Until they discovered that the whey actually had most of the nutrients of the milk - just without the fats - which is the cheese.

There are many good whey supplements - don't go for the super duper expensive stuff - there are gimmicks and sales pitches everywhere - I don't need to tell you.... Mix the protein in milk, or water (or juice or ... for that matter) if you don't like milk. There are good supplements that mix well and mix easily with just spoon stirring - you don't need shakers and mixers that they try to sell you. And if you've found one that does need a mixer - quit with it --- the cleaning of the mixer or bottles will get so old and tedious that you will stop using the whey! There are others that don't mix well and "glop" - even some well known "fancy brands". Avoid those.
You'll be good.

If you question any of this stuff as real or good (and you should - after all, this is the internet) just research it yourself. The internet is a great research source. And there are good books on it all. But again, you've gotta look at a lot of books so as to not get pulled into some fad or quack.
And please forgive any typo errors of mine .. I tend towards that.

It becomes a life style - a change of life pattern - and becomes something that you do not skip - you feel guilty, if you skip.
If you don't get it, or don't understand something, shoot me a PM.
You can do this.
We all can.
What is most people's failure is very basic - lack of .... You know what.
You have it. You are searching and want it. So you can do it.

Good luck, my friend.

Old 05-03-2013, 08:18 AM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Yo , Colby , know anything about that "Whey" weight gain powder..?

And thanks Bro ,some good advise and data..!

Old 05-03-2013, 09:12 AM   #27
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1768 Times on 989 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by dango View Post
In the past two years , I,ve lost some thirty pounds of muscle mass and I want it back..! I do know many things , but do not know everything . I,m willing to give it time , lets say even two years , I,m patient.!

I feel this in my bones , I,m am ready and my body is telling me just that.! I am feeling really good and have achieved a mental strength that even shocks me..?

My goal is simple , I just want to be as close to the man I was before all this crap started and know my self extremely well.! To be the prettiest 60+ year old on this here planet , dats right , HOO. Yaul..!

All advice is welcome...and a big thanks and lets all make the best dango there be..! A truly epic event..!
Check with your local rehab nursing home about a diet supplement they use to help maintain weight in their rehab patients. I know it's non-steroidal and is high protein. Make sure it's a rehab home. A place where people get back in shape after surgery and stroke. A regular nursing home will probably only be familiar with maintenance supplements, which will not contain as much protein.

Other than my supplement info I would go with C3's plan. It's good advice.

Right now you probably don't have a lot of faith in your doctor, but you should get some medical advice on this before you start any weight training.
Old 05-03-2013, 09:25 AM   #28

Liked 287 Times on 193 Posts

What kind of limitations do you have as far as movement/load bearing?

Old 05-03-2013, 09:35 AM   #29

Liked 23 Times on 19 Posts

Taking cholesterol medicines will eat up your muscle mass too. Lipitor and the like. So will diabetes, I only mention cause in your age group Drs like to put evryone on lipitor which is a slow suicide pill, which destroys your muscles and then gives you diabetes.

Don't believe everything your Dr. Tells you. Double check, read the medicine inserts.

Old 05-03-2013, 11:09 AM   #30

Liked 31 Times on 21 Posts

The best way is 6 meals a day. High protein high veggie low carb good fat. Protein shakes and such should just be pre and post workout. First meal is key. 6egg whites one whole egg oatmeal and peanut butter is a typical one for me. Your workout needs to cater to your goal and how hard your working. If you workout hard 6 days a week and want to put on 30lb you need to eat a lot and often to sustain and grow