Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Need some weight gain advice..!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2013, 11:46 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2845 Times on 1646 Posts
Likes Given: 16967

Default Need some weight gain advice..!

In the past two years , I,ve lost some thirty pounds of muscle mass and I want it back..! I do know many things , but do not know everything . I,m willing to give it time , lets say even two years , I,m patient.!

I feel this in my bones , I,m am ready and my body is telling me just that.! I am feeling really good and have achieved a mental strength that even shocks me..?

My goal is simple , I just want to be as close to the man I was before all this crap started and know my self extremely well.! To be the prettiest 60+ year old on this here planet , dats right , HOO. Yaul..!

All advice is welcome...and a big thanks and lets all make the best dango there be..! A truly epic event..!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-01-2013, 11:58 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8440 Times on 3662 Posts
Likes Given: 1301

Milkshakes and nuts. Seriously. Lotta protein, lot of fat. Add a banana for carbs.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

People Like This 
Old 05-01-2013, 12:00 PM   #3

Liked 460 Times on 267 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I have a thread I started about the same thing a few months ago. It's called "workout diets" and has a lot of good advice in it. As soon as I get home, I'll post a link as I am on the app right now and have no idea how to do it from here

Old 05-01-2013, 12:05 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2539 Times on 1485 Posts
Likes Given: 1400

In the second half of our lives, the only way to build muscle is muscle resistance training. I'd recommend working heavily on your lower body, the muscle groups are larger and build more quickly and as we age mobility and balance become more and more important. Upper body mass is harder to build and tougher to do continuously with any spinal challenges. Work on toning your upper musculature, rather than bulking it.

That's my $.02.

Sent from my (_E=MC² _)

We do not choose our future, we choose our habits and our habits dictate our future. - anonymous

People Like This 
Old 05-01-2013, 12:07 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Milkshakes and nuts. Seriously. Lotta protein, lot of fat. Add a banana for carbs.
Well my man , you forgot the most important part , the recreational hallucinations..! ..?

Old 05-01-2013, 12:12 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShagNasty1001 View Post
I have a thread I started about the same thing a few months ago. It's called "workout diets" and has a lot of good advice in it. As soon as I get home, I'll post a link as I am on the app right now and have no idea how to do it from here
Well , I may need a pinch of work on my cognitive skills..! Yeap , there it is ,
(Workout Diets)....!

Dauh ,, ...! ..? and thanks, Eeeeek..!

Old 05-01-2013, 12:25 PM   #7

Liked 1115 Times on 583 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Without knowing more about your situation, general health, or why you lost this weight it's hard to give advice. When I was in my early 30's I weighed about 130 lbs., and through a combination of heavy lifting and nutrition I build myself up to 185 lbs -- went from a 36" chest to a 42" chest with a 30' waist. (Now I still weigh about 185, but with a 34" waist, so things have shifted. I'm also looking back to get back into shape.)

I was what is called a hard gainer, meaning it was difficult for me to put on mass. Although I had worked with weights before, it was only when I changed my routine to heavy lifting that I was able to gain. By heaving lifting I mean doing fewer reps but heavier weights. Example: On the bench press I would do 5 sets of 3-5 reps of the max weight I could do. I would start out with 3 reps, then when I was able to do 5-6 reps at that weight I'd add weight to where I could only do 3 again. Some times I'd put on the max weight I could do for one; take off 5 lbs or so and do two; take off another five pounds and do 3; then go back up the ladder. Proper time for the mucles to rebuild is essential when heavy lifting. I would work out for 1 1/2 hour every other day, emphazing different muscle groups each time. For instance, on Monday I would work shoulders, chest, and triceps; on Wensday I would work biceps and upper back; Friday would be legs and lower back. Include excercises that work major mucles groups, such as squats, clean and jerk, etc.

Now, when I was doing that I was in my mid-30's to mid-40's. I'm now 58, trying to re-tone, and I don't think my body could handle the intensity of the workouts I used to do -- the knees especially. But, in order to gain mass, you need to lift the max amount that your body can handle safely.

Last edited by txpossum; 05-01-2013 at 12:28 PM.
dango Likes This 
Old 05-01-2013, 12:45 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

In general , my health was exceptional all of my life.! A health nut , martial artist
And just had a bad skiing accident with some spinal ..well , kind a extensive.
Surgeries in the past 18months or so . The weight lost due to lack of mobility
Fora very long time . Atrophy almost , but have been walking through the mountain roads , up to over fifty miles a week and starting next week , cut the miles and use a weighted fanny pack..!

All the really painful stuff is behind me , the stretching , lite toning , I,m ready to move on , quit pain meds . Muscle relaxers , all the stuff I don,t want to dull my senses..! Yeah , it hurts , but I have got to feel what's what as not to hurt myself in training..!

Old 05-01-2013, 12:54 PM   #9

Liked 1115 Times on 583 Posts
Likes Given: 49

With a spinal injury, I would consult with a doctor before doing extensive weight training. I would do as much weight training as you can safely do; it releases endorphins and encourages the body's production of testosterone. You mention martial arts -- do you do tai chi? I would suggest that as a way of rehibilation.

Old 05-01-2013, 06:05 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6093 Times on 3343 Posts
Likes Given: 11678

Eat more calories.