Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Need opinions on a 4WD or AWD vehicle (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/need-opinions-4wd-awd-vehicle-32089/)

BunnyWabbit 09-22-2010 03:39 PM

Need opinions on a 4WD or AWD vehicle

Last year I sold my beloved Tweety Bird Yellow Ford Ranger 4x4 because the gas prices sucked. Bought a mini compact Honda Fit. Great gas mileage, but if I have 1" of snow on the ground I can't get out of my driveway, which is about 100 yards long uphill. BTW, I DIDN'T DO THE CASH FOR CLUNKERS.

I would like opinions on some different 4WD or AWD vehicles. I am open to another truck or an SUV, but not big ones. Must be dependable and have a little bit of power to it as I do a lot of highway travel.

What does anyone think of Suzuki or KIA? I am not wanting to spend a ton of money on a vehicle in this economy. Would prefer to stay at or below $20,000. Does not have to be a new model either.

I just want opinions and suggestions.

Glasshartt 09-22-2010 03:46 PM

What about a 4x4 hybrid Escape?

BunnyWabbit 09-22-2010 04:12 PM

New ones are sitting at $30,000. I did a search on autotrader.com to see what was within 200 miles. I did find a 2007, with 14,000 miles, AWD for around $19,000. So I may need to take a trip to Kansas City this weekend and look at it.

notdku 09-22-2010 04:15 PM

Well, I'm a pretty huge fan of Jeeps.

Jeep Forum - Jeep Enthusiast Network

BunnyWabbit 09-22-2010 04:23 PM

I love Jeeps, I've heard they are hard to get parts for. Is this true?

Dillinger 09-22-2010 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BunnyWabbit (Post 355470)
I love Jeeps, I've heard they are hard to get parts for. Is this true?

Not hard, just expensive.

JEEP = Just Empty Every Pocket. :D

michigan0626 09-22-2010 04:35 PM

Im a Ford guy, so I would say Ford. But, I dont think you could go wrong with a Subaru, all of their vehicles are AWD. When I visited West Virginia in the mountains several months ago two companies made up the majority of car dealerships, Ford and Subaru.

spittinfire 09-22-2010 04:39 PM

Why not get another Ranger? I'm a Ford guy and big fan of the Ranger platform. I've got a 94 4x4, 4.0 with 300k on it and running like a champ. My dad had one that had 250k on it and the guy who bought passed it on to his 2 sons....still going. He also has a 97 Explorer with 280k on it. If you liked your Ranger why not shop for another?

Not to mention Ford didn't take any of the bailout money. GM and Chrystler should be extinct.

IGETEVEN 09-22-2010 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michigan0626 (Post 355482)
Im a Ford guy, so I would say Ford. But, I dont think you could go wrong with a Subaru, all of their vehicles are AWD. When I visited West Virginia in the mountains several months ago two companies made up the majority of car dealerships, Ford and Subaru.

+ 1 on the Subaru, plus they are very mechanically sound AWD vehicles.

orangello 09-22-2010 04:58 PM

I LOVED the old suzuki samuri's, but that is NOT a highway vehicle. I have heard some unpleasant stories on the sportages of yore, but not so much lately.

Personally, i'm in lust with my BIL's mini-cabover flatbed truckish thing, even with the steering wheel on the wrong side. Other than ground clearance, which isn't just horrible, it is good with the mud and such and gets very nice fuel economy, better in 2wd though. Suzuki Japanese Mini Trucks - Mini Suzuki Trucks, Japanese Compact Trucks & Vehicles His is like the lower picture. He is in the process of switching out tires & getting a tag, so that it can run parts for his shop.