need input from military guys - Page 2

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > need input from military guys

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2010, 11:57 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 32 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Found this Combat Veterans For Congress | Electing Fiscal Conservatives

"In June 1989, upon graduation from the US Military Academy, Cadet Joseph Miller was commissioned a Second Lieutenant in the US Army. Second Lieutenant Miller previously went thru advanced summer training while a Cadet at West Point and was awarded the Parachute and Air Assault Badges. Following graduation from West Point, Lieutenant Miller attended Armor Officer Basic Course and the Scout Platoon Leader Certification Course at Fort Knox; he was subsequently assigned to the First Infantry Division at Fort Riley, Kansas. In December 1990, Lieutenant Miller, an armor officer, deployed to Saudi Arabia during Operation Desert Storm with the First Infantry Division. He was subsequently involved in combat action and participated in the liberation of Kuwait. In May 1991, Lieutenant Miller returned to the United States with the First Infantry Division. Lt. Miller was awarded the Bronze Star Medal, the Meritorious Service Medal, the Army Commendation as well as numerous other service and campaign medals for military service and combat action. In 1997, Cpt. Miller was released from the Individual Ready Reserve and received an Honorable Discharge for his honorable service in the US Army."

Found his name here http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Category:Recipients_of_the_Bronze_ Star_Medal&from=Meyer%2C+Leo

People get the government they deserve.

Last edited by dunerunner; 10-18-2010 at 12:02 AM.

Old 10-18-2010, 12:05 AM   #12

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Thanks a lot. Much better than my paltry web surfing skills afforded. I'll try to forward this. Thanks again.

Old 10-18-2010, 12:07 AM   #13

Liked 32 Times on 22 Posts

These are not just passed out like John Kerry's Purple Heart you know!!

People get the government they deserve.

Old 10-18-2010, 12:09 AM   #14

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Not according to the apparatchik on our local radio. Gotta check.

Old 10-18-2010, 12:15 AM   #15

If it hasn't got a combat V, then it doesn't mean too much. Without the V its just a slap on the back for not screwing up for X amount of years. Course I'm USMC and our medals are few and far between compared to others. (Not really a jab, just kind of a fact) Then again I'm of the school that there are too many handed out to begin with.

Old 10-18-2010, 01:21 AM   #16

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Now I'm re-confused. So is it like a good conduct medal for officers? I've been wanting to think this guy was something special. Is he just another hack?

Old 10-18-2010, 01:26 AM   #17

If he came out of Fort Knox back in the day he probably wasn't all that bad. I went through Basic and AIT there. During AIT you could tell the difference in discipline and overall fitness of soldiers from other training posts.

Then again, he was an officer....... Can't spell lost without LT.

Old 10-18-2010, 01:44 AM   #18
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9395 Times on 4049 Posts
Likes Given: 1476

The Bronze Star may be awarded for meritorious service (a lot more than not getting in trouble) or for Valor in combat- in which case the ribbon has a tiny metal letter V added to it. My OCS class probably holds more than 400 Bronze Stars (multiple awards) with 1/2 of them being for Valor.

Bottom line- you have a Combat Arms Officer, who has performed in combat, and his service was found by his commanders to be meritorious. He was a West Point Grad (that is the USMA) is airborne, and has been thru Air Assault School (bit of a kick ass program itself) The MSM and ARCOM are both indicators his performance of duty was held in high regard by his superiors.

On the other hand, his opponent right out of college did.......... what? Organized the Student Action Committee to Stamp Out Nearly Everything ( StONE) ?

Military service does not in and of itself make someone a competent politician (Exhibit 1. John Effin' Kerry. Exhibit 2. Al Gore) but his service is indicative of someone has been in a position of significant trust, and performed well.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 10-18-2010, 01:08 PM   #19

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
The Bronze Star may be awarded for meritorious service (a lot more than not getting in trouble) or for Valor in combat- in which case the ribbon has a tiny metal letter V added to it. My OCS class probably holds more than 400 Bronze Stars (multiple awards) with 1/2 of them being for Valor.

Bottom line- you have a Combat Arms Officer, who has performed in combat, and his service was found by his commanders to be meritorious. He was a West Point Grad (that is the USMA) is airborne, and has been thru Air Assault School (bit of a kick ass program itself) The MSM and ARCOM are both indicators his performance of duty was held in high regard by his superiors.

On the other hand, his opponent right out of college did.......... what? Organized the Student Action Committee to Stamp Out Nearly Everything ( StONE) ?

Military service does not in and of itself make someone a competent politician (Exhibit 1. John Effin' Kerry. Exhibit 2. Al Gore) but his service is indicative of someone has been in a position of significant trust, and performed well.
This, it means he performed in a meritorious way during combat operations. That is way more that most of the other folks in congress can say. No one should try and diminish the performance of this former officer. It is not ever a foregone conclusion that an officer will recieve a bronze star for meritorious service. I only know what I have read here about this guy, but from what I see he is deserving of a proper amount of admiration for his service to his country.

Old 10-18-2010, 02:18 PM   #20

Liked 4887 Times on 2369 Posts
Likes Given: 1524

Are you sure your candidate claimed the Bronze Star? I'm sure more that 39 have been issued but it is way up there on the list of possible medals. This is the kind of thing only seen by soldiers who go above and beyond, generally by putting themselves in harms way to either accomplish the mission or save another soldier.

Every Vet receives a copy of there DD 214 upon separation from services. This document will list all training schools attended, units served with, commendations received, and disability, if any. Candidate Miller could squash it himself with this document.

TACK