Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Need help, PC or Mac?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2013, 02:40 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 10 Times on 4 Posts

Default Need help, PC or Mac?

Time for a new computer. Have always used a PC but am considering a Mac. Have an I-phone and an I-Pad and really like them. Just want to know if a Mac is worth the extra bucks. Thanks for the help!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-21-2013, 02:48 AM   #2

Liked 374 Times on 248 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Picking a computer is a lot like picking a gun. You find one you are comfortable using that has the accessories you want. A Mac computer is NOT the same as using an apple mobile device. There is a little bit of a learning curve with learning an entirely new operating system. But I have been told on many occasions that once you learn Mac you'll love it. Mac is expensive for what you get. PCs are generally cheaper for comparable stats between the two in terms of hardware. Personally, for a desktop i would go PC and for a laptop i would go Mac (if you have the money).

"You know what happens to men who go looking for blood? They find it." - Kind Old Man

Old 11-21-2013, 02:52 AM   #3
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2004 Times on 1088 Posts
Likes Given: 723

I was very happy to go back to a Mac after so many years having to use a PC because of software needs. Great things about my Mac:
Great battery life
Amazingly easy to purchase and install new software
Zero problems with viruses
Keynote is better than Powerpoint
Easier to use multiple screens
Best track pad I've used
Very durable - trust me, I've tested it
OS updates are piece of cake and FREE
And from what a friend of mine described to me of his new Windows 8 experience... I have the far superior OS.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Old 11-21-2013, 03:31 AM   #4

Liked 236 Times on 167 Posts

I am a computer fool, and rely on my lovely wife to guide me through that maze. But I do own and iPhone and ipad. Live them both. I bought the family a nice, huge Mac desk top a couple years ago. It has been solid and problem free. But the more updates and upgrades I get the more I feel like I am back with Microsoft. No empirical data, but just a good ole sales guy's feel for a company changing its SOP and soul over time.

Old 11-21-2013, 02:33 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 623 Times on 288 Posts
Likes Given: 362

My two cents worth, TheoShooter

IMO, whether you will prefer a PC or a Mac depends on your attitude about computers in general.

If you understand something about computers and like to ‘tinker under the hood,’ a Mac might not be for you.

On the other hand, if you want a stable operating system that’s user friendly, you might consider a Mac.

If you are not satisfied with the Apple mail, Apple iPhoto, Apple iTunes, Apple address book, etc., etc., and prefer apps written more for PC’s (because that’s what you are used to,) then a Mac might not be for you. That’s not to say Mac’s do not do 3rd party apps…but you do have to be careful.

My suggestion, if you are not familiar with Mac’s and can do it, would be to visit an Apple store and spend some time on the floor with their products. Decide if you like the way they work. Decide if you like the system. Decide if you can forget the way ‘it was done’ on a PC.

Mac’s come with a one year warranty and that warranty can be extended for an additional year at the time of purchase for about $100. For that you get unlimited Apple help-line assistance by knowledgeable (American) Apple technicians who will stay with you until a problem is solved. If a hardware problem comes up, it will be fixed under warranty at a Apple Store.

But then…none of this was your question! Sorry about that!

My opinion to the question you asked, they are worth the extra money. I have four desktops dating back to 2003 and one old 13” laptop that just will not die. They are operational every day.

Good luck!

ellis

“Too often … we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought,” JFK

Old 11-21-2013, 02:57 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1600 Times on 860 Posts
Likes Given: 2603

I'd say get the Mac. I'm still on my first, a mid '11 Macbook Air and I love it. I bought my wife an iMac. I have however drifted away from the iPhone to Samsung's Galaxy S4...Have you ever tried Linux in any form? I've got a 17" gaming laptop with a dual boot, sporting Windows and Ubuntu. You can put Linux (Ubuntu) on an older PC and it will fly.

Old 11-21-2013, 06:04 PM   #7

Liked 941 Times on 666 Posts
Likes Given: 931

If you're used to PCs why pay much more for a Mac that offers less? It seems there are two kinds of people out there, ones who are willing to dearly pay for everything simplified plus lots of hand holding from the seller ... and those who want a good price even if it means they'll have to pick up some of the technical support. You see this with computers, cars/trucks, home theater systems and even guns (build an AR vs. buy a factory rifle).

I build my desktops and buy factory laptops, each time using Windows or Linux because the hardware and OS both are wide open for the person who likes to tinker. I don't find this to be true of the Mac plus you're locked into the Apple universe unless you finally scream you've had enough.

Take a look at the powerful Windows laptops $500 will buy now, you even can get a 15.6" touchscreen! I recently bought a Dell 15.6" (not touchscreen), 6GB RAM, 1/2TB HD, Win 8, Intel I3 and normal goodies for only $375. What will that get you if you buy a Mac? What about $700? Under $1000? Good luck!

Win 8 is annoying at first to long time Windows users but you figure it out. And the new 8.1 upgrade improves things a lot. BTW, as your old PC gets tired with bloated Windows and apps, think about going to Linux to give it a turboboost!

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 11-21-2013, 06:41 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1600 Times on 860 Posts
Likes Given: 2603

Rumor mill says service pack 4/Windows 8 will be released in 2016... Meanwhile, buy stock in Norton and Mcafee

Old 11-21-2013, 06:44 PM   #9

Liked 74 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 204

This picture helps explain "who" or "what" they are used for.

macpc.jpg  

Old 11-21-2013, 07:55 PM   #10

Liked 1024 Times on 607 Posts
Likes Given: 318

You CAN buy a cheap PC but you should probably not get a bottom of the line version.

You CAN'T buy a cheap MAC, they only sell high quality hardware.

Do you do anything or use any programs that don't exist on both platforms? If so then unless you can live without it or jumping through hoops to make it work then your decision is made. Most likely both platforms will do everything you need just a little different from each other.

Personally I think you can get a high quality PC for a few hundred less than a MAC, you are paying for the name a bit and also for the increased customer service available at their stores. I've always heard good things about their customer service, if that's something you might use then it might be worth it.

Bottom line, don't compare a $399.99 PC to an $1800 Macbook and then complain that your PC sucks.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Newest Threads