Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > need help appraising a mauser

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2012, 09:57 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default need help appraising a mauser

Ok, I have an old 8mm mauser, but its not like any others I've seen. It is manufactured in Yugoslavia, all the serial numbers match, and even the shoulder strap seems to be original. It fires like a dream and has been very well maintained, I even thave the bayonet, and original cleaning kit for it, and I can't prove it but the old man I bought it from said his father picked it up in Munich during WW II. Any thoughts or sudgestions about what it may be worth?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-30-2012, 10:46 AM   #2

Liked 698 Times on 487 Posts
Likes Given: 1098

Does it say M48 on the receiver?
and have this crest on it?

Last edited by beaglesam; 07-30-2012 at 05:22 PM.

Old 07-30-2012, 12:10 PM   #3

I believe it does say M48 on the receiver, but as far as the crest, the photo didn't show on your reply. I am at work currently and just got the rifle yesterday. But I will post photos of all the numbers and crest once i return home.

Old 07-30-2012, 12:58 PM   #4

Liked 698 Times on 487 Posts
Likes Given: 1098

M48's were made post WWII, 1950-52. So the story about Munich during the war is not true. The rifle was made in Yugoslavia in arsenals built by the Nazi's after they took the country over. After the war they got the factories back and made the M48. I have one that I paid $200 for.

Old 07-30-2012, 04:20 PM   #5

Ok, when I returned home I took a closer look at my rifle, and the number is actually a 43 there are markings of what appear to be letters but i cant really make them out as they are worn but one looks as though it is a B or a D maybe. I also started looking around for other markings on the gun as well and noticed under the bolt lever there is a very small eagle holding a swastika. And on the side of the gun just infront of the breach there is what appears to be a wing, but thats all there is that isn't worn. Idk if this changes anything or not but those are the markings I was able to find. Even if it is only worth a few hundred that's fine because i have no intention of selling it, I'm just curious I suppose. Lol

Old 07-30-2012, 04:42 PM   #6

Liked 47 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashdaddyrabbit View Post
Ok, when I returned home I took a closer look at my rifle, and the number is actually a 43 there are markings of what appear to be letters but i cant really make them out as they are worn but one looks as though it is a B or a D maybe. I also started looking around for other markings on the gun as well and noticed under the bolt lever there is a very small eagle holding a swastika. And on the side of the gun just infront of the breach there is what appears to be a wing, but thats all there is that isn't worn. Idk if this changes anything or not but those are the markings I was able to find. Even if it is only worth a few hundred that's fine because i have no intention of selling it, I'm just curious I suppose. Lol

Pics please. If it has the swastika, that will have an affect. Depending on the buyer, it could be negative or positive.

What part of 'shall not be infringed' confuses people?

Old 07-30-2012, 04:46 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2605 Times on 1370 Posts
Likes Given: 202

The M-24 Yugo has a straight bolt handle. Some of these wer used by the Germans during WWII. They would have the "Waffenampt" Eagle proof markings. The M-24/47 and M24/52 were reworked after the war. The M-48 had a bent bolt handle and looks a lot like the German K98k even though the receiver and bolt are different.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 07-30-2012, 05:12 PM   #8

For some reason I can't upload the photos from my phone, but if anyone wants to email me my address is crazychris1871@yahoo.com and i can send them that way, but that's the best i can do, and mine has a bent bolt not a strait... If that makes a differance I'm not really sure