Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Need help...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2012, 02:41 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3679 Times on 1756 Posts
Likes Given: 619

Default Need help...

I need the creative minds of FTF for an idea.

In 346 BC, Philip said to the Spartans, '... For if I bring my army on your land, I will destroy your farms, slay your people and raze your city.'

The Spartan reply was 'If'...

As if the only relevant thing in that statement was the word 'if'.

You don't need to be a history major to figure the outcome of that little squabble.

Anyways, I love that quote, it's badassery is on par with Molon labe, or 'then we'll fight in the shade (in response to a Persian messenger who claimed their arrows would blot out the sun).

I am looking for the Greek work for 'if'. I'd love it if some of you guys would make an image of that word and post it here. I'm going to have it engraved or put on my firearm somehow (still undecided), and also will attempt to have some stickers made. For your help, I am willing to send some extras out.

Thanks guys!

America has fought wars across the globe, because we kept our firearms while others let dictators take theirs...

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-05-2012, 03:09 PM   #2

Liked 11 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

ask and thou shalt receive.

Quote:
the conjunction "if" written in Ancient Greek, or better in Doric Greek, i.e. the dialect spoken by the Doric Spartans, is “ αἴκα “, transliterated as “aika”
although im happy as hell to help, i honestly dont understand the fascination with spartans. yes they were awesome but not anymore idolized than ninjas or vikings. ever since that damn movie 300...

I don't think I'm cool enough to play Spartan shouting "Molon Labe!". I'll just stick to being an American, firmly saying "Dont Tread On Me".

Old 08-05-2012, 03:16 PM   #3
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19484 Times on 11068 Posts
Likes Given: 49101

the Spartans were a warrior tribe and it was ingrained into their way of life from birth. think of all the Army's, the Marine Corp's and the Navy's special forces training, starting from the moment you were born. then you have an idea of why they are somewhat immortalized in fact and fiction. they simply had no fear and would fight to the death and the last man for what they believed in and what they protected.

dog2000tj Likes This 
Old 08-05-2012, 03:22 PM   #4

Thank you! I've been extremely fascinated with Spartans since high school. Our mascot was the Trojan and we did a lot of studying on Greek culture. The concept of an entire culture devoted to nothing but warfare always fascinated me. Likewise the Hawaiian warrior culture fascinates me, but I don't want a Hawaiian word on my gun, and I already have the Hawaiian islands tattooed across my back (home state).
I do agree that the movie 300 did a disservice to us geeky history buffs, but nevertheless, my fascination still stands.
However, the Spartans practiced and studied insults and retorts as a part of combat training and therefore have some of the best one liners throughout history.

Although I do like Genghis Khan 'I am the flail of God. If you had not committed great sins God never would have sent a punishment like me upon you.'. Said before he wiped an entire civilization from the map. A little too long for a sticker, and might get me pulled over.

America has fought wars across the globe, because we kept our firearms while others let dictators take theirs...

Old 08-05-2012, 03:24 PM   #5

Liked 11 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

..again like ninjas or vikings. the lore is always much much more "awesome" than the truth. they wernt abandoned in the wilderness as kids they just grew up in military barracks with other kids. stayed there until they were 30 oh and were still had the same guy on guy action as the rest of the Greeks. not that thats a bad thing but people have a skewed vision of them since that single movie, like how it was anywhere from 300 to 500 of them, along with 7000 greek city-state troops with them, it just wasnt just the "300" of them alone.

badass yes, incredibly just as glorified to the actual version as much as vikings and ninjas are, absolutely. Still a good staple of warfare, if not for the brute strength and more on tactics, theyd probably still be around today.

i share the same fascination with Genghis Khan too Mosin, that man was a plague on the earth. if it wasnt for Mongolian culture they would have wiped out Europe as well.

I don't think I'm cool enough to play Spartan shouting "Molon Labe!". I'll just stick to being an American, firmly saying "Dont Tread On Me".

Last edited by DogOne; 08-05-2012 at 03:30 PM.

Old 08-05-2012, 03:27 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8310 Times on 3592 Posts
Likes Given: 1274

αἴκα

But I prefer another short message- from Greek mothers to their sons, when leaving for war. Mom would hand them their shield, and tell them "With it, or on it."

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 08-05-2012, 03:33 PM   #7

Now I've got the word, looking for a nice image. Come on guys, I know FTF is a bastion of creativity!