need computer help guys..
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > need computer help guys..

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2012, 03:42 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Default need computer help guys..

My lawyer gave me back my ex's computer.

The tech geeks basically just stripped the drive out and copied it, and completely bypassed the administrator password.

So....
Now I have a brand new (almost) Toshiba satellite c655 that I can't log onto because I don't have the password.

I've been looking online for methods to get around this issue. I've tried every method I can find but one. The "last resort" method. The one I least want to try. That would be the method of downloading a third party program and using it on this computer. I also don't want to take it to someone (but I suppose I could if I had to.)

Any suggestions?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-15-2012, 03:43 PM   #2

Maybe I can trade it to a nerd with a gun...

Old 11-15-2012, 03:46 PM   #3

Liked 736 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 788

Bet you could...

Old 11-15-2012, 04:06 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trez
Bet you could...
I'm really, really, seriously considering it.

But, she may have put some of my personal info in here and that's a little more valuable than a gun. I'd like to be able to find out.

Old 11-15-2012, 04:16 PM   #5

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

What's the operating system?

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 11-15-2012, 04:36 PM   #6
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6563 Times on 3635 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Trip, if you do trade it, take it to someone first, and have it wiped clean and returned to factory settings. If I was the recipient, I'd appreciate it (it really would be a (still used but) new computer at that point), and you wouldn't have to worry about personal info getting out. I think when they wipe it clean, the info on it is gone forever. I don't know if there is any way to get it back, but I guess it could be possible.

Old 11-15-2012, 04:39 PM   #7

Here's a pass cracker for Admin passes on machines running Windows XP through 7. The guys at sourceforge make some awsome stuff.
Click here to download ophcrack. I used it on a XP box a while back. It can be time consuming depending on the amount of characters in the pass.

Future reference after you get this done make a second admin account and you can use one to modify the other. And maybe think about making a key disc or at the least make a hard copy of the pass(es) and put them in your gun safe or other secure lo0cation. And ALWAYS use no less than 8 chars in a pass. It just makes it harder to crack for those pesky precocious 15 year olds. I recommend that with any pass used anywhere. Use all available chars and no less than 8.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 11-15-2012, 04:41 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumJunkie
What's the operating system?
Windows 7 home premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker
Trip, if you do trade it, take it to someone first, and have it wiped clean and returned to factory settings. If I was the recipient, I'd appreciate it (it really would be a (still used but) new computer at that point), and you wouldn't have to worry about personal info getting out. I think when they wipe it clean, the info on it is gone forever. I don't know if there is any way to get it back, but I guess it could be possible.
That's kinda what I would like to do. Tally, I could use a new computer myself, so it's kinda up in the air on the trading deal. I may keep it, I don't know.

And it really is practically brand new. She only had it for about a week before I snatched it when I left.

On a side note, because I know someone will eventually wonder, yeah, it's legally mine now. I took it a marital property, but she signed some kind of release.

Old 11-15-2012, 04:44 PM   #9

Thanks drum junkie. I'm trying not to go that route except as a last resort.

but I'm definitely keeping it in mind.

Old 11-15-2012, 04:50 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post
Info is rarely gone forever. When you delete something the machine just allocates that space to be written on again. Nothing is really deleted. One can blow the partition that was used for windows, create a new partition, then format that partition and most people will not be able to retrieve the data. Even then some still can. But the only sure way to make sure data is not able to be brought up again is to overwrite it again and again until the old data is unreadable. It usually takes about 4 to 6 times overwrite with meaningless data to destroy the good stuff underneath. You would be surprised to see what computer repair guys retrieve from hard drives when the customer thinks they are safe because they delete it them empty the recycle bin. Or even more misleading a formatted hard drive.

If you know someone personally that is the best bet in making sure your data is not recovered later.

Thomas Jefferson