Need Christmas lights advice......
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Need Christmas lights advice......

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2010, 06:57 PM   #1
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7126 Times on 4289 Posts
Likes Given: 8654

Default Need Christmas lights advice......

I have one of these trees that I put outside during the holiday season. It is beautiful and I absolutely enjoy it very much. This year I plugged it in and one layer of the lights isn't working. I don't know how to go about figuring out how to get that one layer to work. I reseated all the lights and they seem okay, none look burnt out. There are 3 layers below it that work and a about 6 layers above it that work. Any advice on what I can do to get that one layer to work? Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions.

http://www.americansale.com/Products/Outdoor-Pre-Lit-Wire-Cascade-Christmas-Tree__283991.aspx

Last edited by winds-of-change; 11-22-2010 at 07:06 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-22-2010, 07:08 PM   #2

Liked 859 Times on 342 Posts
Likes Given: 1687

Sounds like it may be a bad fuse. In one of the plug ends, there is a set of two fuses. I would try changing them out first. There should be a couple extra in the bag that the extra bulbs came in.

Old 11-22-2010, 07:08 PM   #3

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Does it come apart in any way? Like are there sections of the "branches" that you have to stick into the center "trunk" of the tree? I guess an easier question is, how do you store it?

Old 11-22-2010, 07:39 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

There is a top half and a bottom half when I store it. The lights that aren't working is the top set on the bottom half of the tree. All the lights are connected on the bottom half and all the lights are connected on the top half. There is an outlet connection between the top and bottom half. I hope this is all making sense. It looks to me like either all the top or all the bottom would go out. I don't understand how just one layer can go out. They all SEEM to be connected.

Old 11-22-2010, 07:43 PM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Check the Shunt

Christmas Lights and How to Fix Them

“There are hundreds of millions of gun owners in this country, and not one of them will have an accident today. The only misuse of guns comes in environments where there are drugs, alcohol, bad parents, and undisciplined children. Period.” Ted Nugent

Old 11-22-2010, 07:44 PM   #6

Just off the top of my head, and picturing it in my mind, I would say you one of two scenarios.

Either

A) - The bottom part of the strand is loop wired. The electricity from the outlet goes from level to level and from the output connection of the last level that is working, to the input connection of the top level that is not, has been compromised. The first light out on the branch would be where I would check for voltage to see if that is the case.

• If loop wired, I would presume the top would be looped in as well, so it would not work. As it does work, this leads me more towards option B
B) - Each level of the tree, and the upper section, are home run lines that are wired up in the base. The connection that feeds the top of the lower half has been compromised either in the base, or at the top where the branches are. Once again, I would check for voltage at the first bulb out of the trunk where the lights do not work.

Does the base have a big, round, kind of dome shape do it? And on the underside, is there a panel with some screws that holds it together??

Old 11-22-2010, 07:47 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Does the base have a big, round, kind of dome shape do it? And on the underside, is there a panel with some screws that holds it together??
Make sure it isn't plugged in at this point, before the screwdriver comes out.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 11-22-2010, 07:56 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
Make sure it isn't plugged in at this point, before the screwdriver comes out.
LOL - You are the guy, in the group exercise where they ask you to bait a mousetrap, who is already lining up where to put it for maximum effectiveness and how to keep the dog/cat/kids out of the trap, aren't you 'Gello?

I merely asking if it had that type of base, since that is where the connections might be to confirm my suspicions.

Old 11-22-2010, 08:49 PM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Thank you, THANK YOU, THANK YOU everyone for your suggestions. Now I have some options to try. I didn't know to check the first bulb in the string for voltage. After mulling it over and staring at the tree for a while I think it's got to be a bulb somewhere. I'll continue to problem solve this. You all are the best!!!

Old 11-22-2010, 08:54 PM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
No. Really, it just appears to be strings of white lights on white wire held out in a tree shape by plastic arms that the strings of lights snap into. I imagine there is a fuse in the plug part but I haven't looked as most of the lights work. Since lights work both above and below the plug that connects the top and bottom part of the tree I think it has to be a light somewhere on that one section that doesn't work. None of the lights look burnt out but I'm not sure these tiny lights ever look burnt out like a regular light. I will get a Christmas light voltage checker thingy. I believe they aren't very expensive. At least it's cheaper then buying another whole tree. I really like this tree out on my front lawn.