Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Need Christmas lights advice...... (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/need-christmas-lights-advice-34647/)

winds-of-change 11-22-2010 06:57 PM

Need Christmas lights advice......

I have one of these trees that I put outside during the holiday season. It is beautiful and I absolutely enjoy it very much. This year I plugged it in and one layer of the lights isn't working. I don't know how to go about figuring out how to get that one layer to work. I reseated all the lights and they seem okay, none look burnt out. There are 3 layers below it that work and a about 6 layers above it that work. Any advice on what I can do to get that one layer to work? Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions.

http://www.americansale.com/Products/Outdoor-Pre-Lit-Wire-Cascade-Christmas-Tree__283991.aspx

NitroxAZ 11-22-2010 07:08 PM

Sounds like it may be a bad fuse. In one of the plug ends, there is a set of two fuses. I would try changing them out first. There should be a couple extra in the bag that the extra bulbs came in.

Dillinger 11-22-2010 07:08 PM

Does it come apart in any way? Like are there sections of the "branches" that you have to stick into the center "trunk" of the tree? I guess an easier question is, how do you store it?

winds-of-change 11-22-2010 07:39 PM

There is a top half and a bottom half when I store it. The lights that aren't working is the top set on the bottom half of the tree. All the lights are connected on the bottom half and all the lights are connected on the top half. There is an outlet connection between the top and bottom half. I hope this is all making sense. It looks to me like either all the top or all the bottom would go out. I don't understand how just one layer can go out. They all SEEM to be connected.

007BondJamesBond007 11-22-2010 07:43 PM

Check the Shunt

Christmas Lights and How to Fix Them

Dillinger 11-22-2010 07:44 PM

Just off the top of my head, and picturing it in my mind, I would say you one of two scenarios.

Either

A) - The bottom part of the strand is loop wired. The electricity from the outlet goes from level to level and from the output connection of the last level that is working, to the input connection of the top level that is not, has been compromised. The first light out on the branch would be where I would check for voltage to see if that is the case.
  • If loop wired, I would presume the top would be looped in as well, so it would not work. As it does work, this leads me more towards option B
B) - Each level of the tree, and the upper section, are home run lines that are wired up in the base. The connection that feeds the top of the lower half has been compromised either in the base, or at the top where the branches are. Once again, I would check for voltage at the first bulb out of the trunk where the lights do not work.

Does the base have a big, round, kind of dome shape do it? And on the underside, is there a panel with some screws that holds it together??

orangello 11-22-2010 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dillinger (Post 390383)
Does the base have a big, round, kind of dome shape do it? And on the underside, is there a panel with some screws that holds it together??

Make sure it isn't plugged in at this point, before the screwdriver comes out. ;)

Dillinger 11-22-2010 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orangello (Post 390386)
Make sure it isn't plugged in at this point, before the screwdriver comes out. ;)

LOL - You are the guy, in the group exercise where they ask you to bait a mousetrap, who is already lining up where to put it for maximum effectiveness and how to keep the dog/cat/kids out of the trap, aren't you 'Gello? :p

I merely asking if it had that type of base, since that is where the connections might be to confirm my suspicions. ;)

winds-of-change 11-22-2010 08:49 PM

Thank you, THANK YOU, THANK YOU everyone for your suggestions. Now I have some options to try. I didn't know to check the first bulb in the string for voltage. After mulling it over and staring at the tree for a while I think it's got to be a bulb somewhere. I'll continue to problem solve this. You all are the best!!!

winds-of-change 11-22-2010 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dillinger (Post 390383)

No. Really, it just appears to be strings of white lights on white wire held out in a tree shape by plastic arms that the strings of lights snap into. I imagine there is a fuse in the plug part but I haven't looked as most of the lights work. Since lights work both above and below the plug that connects the top and bottom part of the tree I think it has to be a light somewhere on that one section that doesn't work. None of the lights look burnt out but I'm not sure these tiny lights ever look burnt out like a regular light. I will get a Christmas light voltage checker thingy. :D I believe they aren't very expensive. At least it's cheaper then buying another whole tree. I really like this tree out on my front lawn.