Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > In Need of Advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2011, 10:11 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1101 Times on 676 Posts
Likes Given: 2387

Default In Need of Advice

I currently plan on pursuing a career in law enforcement. I have many of the things needed to make a decent resume and many of the things I don't have I am working on (ie. CJ Degree).

My big question is this. I plan on making the move back to Michigan sometime this year (hopefully sooner than later) and I want to find volunteer work that may prove relevant to the career field I have chosen or that will at least appeal to a department. I have considered doing something with the DNR or Boy Scouts but I honestly have no idea what direction to take. This will be my first volunteer experience at the age of 21.

The difficulty for me is finding something relevant to the career which isn't something that everyone else has on their resume. I want to stand out (tie-dye suit anyone?)!

Finally I have one more question for those who may have experience in the area. Should I pursue an EMT-B or First Responders Cert? I feel that it would be a reasonable thing to get considering that I hear more and more departments are requiring it, EMT work is interesting to me, and I hope to eventually work in a rural area where I may likely beat the paramedics by several minutes.

Ok folks, fire away and thanks for your time!
~BigByrd

“Let it not be said that no one cared, that no one objected once it’s realized that our liberties and wealth are in jeopardy.”
---Ron Paul

"He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetuate it."
---Dr. Martin Luther King

"If you think we are free today, you know nothing about tyranny and even less about freedom."
---Tom Braun

Last edited by BigByrd47119; 03-13-2011 at 10:13 AM. Reason: Tweaked wording

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-13-2011, 12:00 PM   #2

Liked 111 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 229

My little brother became a military cop so he didn't have to go into the St.Louis police academy....to become a police officer....They do the training in the military and as soon as he gets out he's trained......He's in Japan right now on a island and I can't even spell the name oakanowa....maybe........

Old 03-13-2011, 12:33 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6114 Times on 3704 Posts
Likes Given: 6927

Look to see if the city you are moving to has Auxilliary police. In my town, these are people who help the police department during times when more officers than we have are needed. Such as in parades through town, town wide festivities, etc. Here in my town they are volunteers and unarmed but they do have power to make arrests and enforce the law for the times they are sworn in to help the department. It is a good way to be seen by the police department and for them to get to know you so when you do feel you are prepared for a career in law enforcement, they already know who you are, your work ethic, your attitude, etc.

Old 03-13-2011, 01:35 PM   #4
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2273 Times on 1359 Posts
Likes Given: 1061

Experience goes a long way. The military does have a good program to get into.
Remember that there is a difference between Law Enforcement and Security if you decide to enlist.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC

Old 03-13-2011, 02:33 PM   #5

Liked 109 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Man, you're getting into a real tough field right now, especially in Michigan. There still are a few departments that will hire you and send you through their academy (Detroit is one, State Police is another) but the waiting list goes on forever right now.

Like winds-of-change posted, many departments and sheriffs offices have auxilliary or reserves. There are some sheriff departments that have summer marine patrol reserves. They are always looking for help as it it a non paid position and it bolsters their field troops when necessary. It's also a good way to begin learning the good side and bad of police work, the operations of a department, and the people both whom you work along side with and those who you serve or deal with.

RE: the EMT, there are some departments going to the public safety position where officers perform a dual role and in thus the EMT cert would be highly beneficial to have it prior to an application. Also with the cert, you can always hire on as a medical tech with a EMS crew while waiting for someone to hire you as a LEO.

Good luck....

Go onto the respective websites and look under employment/careers.

"As an American, I was not so shocked that Obama was given the Nobel Peace Prize without any accomplishments to his name, but that America gave him the White House based on the same credentials"...Newt Gingrich

The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Old 03-13-2011, 02:39 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
Look to see if the city you are moving to has Auxilliary police. In my town, these are people who help the police department during times when more officers than we have are needed. Such as in parades through town, town wide festivities, etc. Here in my town they are volunteers and unarmed but they do have power to make arrests and enforce the law for the times they are sworn in to help the department. It is a good way to be seen by the police department and for them to get to know you so when you do feel you are prepared for a career in law enforcement, they already know who you are, your work ethic, your attitude, etc.
I appreciate the input!

I have an agency in mind for reserve work. My father-in-law was a reserve for the same department but I'm not sure its where I would want to actually work full time. Its a little small which would be fine if it was into the country but being densely populated it simply doesn't appeal.

To those who have made mention of the military; your input is much welcomed as well. Unfortunately I'm not in a position to join the military at this point and time. Its something I always thought about when I was younger but I simply never made the time or the commitment. Now with a 6 month old its just not reasonable. I find myself kicking my own arse every time I think about what a MP credential might have done for me.

Perhaps I should have been a little more specific in my original post (not that I am unthankful for the advise guys and gals). I'm looking for something which will show a commitment to helping those in the community at large. Any other thoughts?

“Let it not be said that no one cared, that no one objected once it’s realized that our liberties and wealth are in jeopardy.”
---Ron Paul

"He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetuate it."

"If you think we are free today, you know nothing about tyranny and even less about freedom."
---Tom Braun

Old 03-13-2011, 02:50 PM   #7
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2273 Times on 1359 Posts
Likes Given: 1061

Hospitals are always looking for volunteers.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC

Old 03-13-2011, 03:21 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 4465 Times on 2355 Posts
Likes Given: 255

the us army military police is a good start. i discovered after i got out of the army with working for a few police depts i didnt care for certain political aspects. but anyway police depts are more willing to hire former MP since they arent having to fully train you.

first responder will help as will emt. you may discover other interest in related fields as you go thru the training.

the army is the only branch that guarantees duty assignment for enlisted personal.

thats been my experience others may have different opinions.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 03-14-2011, 08:36 AM   #9

Thanks for all the help everyone.

It appears as if I will continue to investigate the EMT angle and if everything works out alright once I get to MI, I will likely pursue it with fervor.

The nice thing about this is that if I volunteer in a hospital, I could likely volunteer at the same location that I will be doing my "practical" portion of my EMT-B.

As a side note I will likely do some DNR work anyways. The little research I have done into whats available in the area I will be living looks promising with large numbers of people who turn out every other week or so.

Once again thanks for everyones advise! I knew there was a reason why I lurk around here.

---Ron Paul

---Tom Braun