Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Necessity IS the mother of invention (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/necessity-mother-invention-23221/)

Troy Michalik 02-09-2010 04:56 PM

Necessity IS the mother of invention

2 Attachment(s)
OK, I understand that this might not the obvious place for this at first glance, but the guys on the diesel forum didnít appreciate as much as I thought they would.

So last Saturday I start an oil change on my truck. I pull the plug and filter, and let it all drain while I gather everything else to finish the job. The only thing is; that I canít find my funnel. You know, the big one, not that little yellow piece of crap you use to put oil in the lawn mower. Someone has absconded with my funnel, and Iíve got a truck with no oil in it! So being the DIY kind of guy that I am always looking for a work around, I start evaluating alternative funnel possibilities. That little yellow POS is out. A quick look on the shelf reveals a half a bottle of fuel treatment. I can pour the rest of that in the tank, and cut the bottom off of itÖÖ.. No wait, itís got a tiny little spout and Rotella-T would stop that thing up like the toilet in a burrito factory. Thatís when it hit me,ÖÖ.. its sitting right in the top of the trash can. In less than a minute my new prized funnel was fastly secured and taking it like a champ. And the absolute best part was that it threaded perfectly into the filler tube.
V

V

V

V

V

V

V

V

V

V

V

V

stalkingbear 02-09-2010 05:01 PM

After emptying your "funnel" then working on your truck you probably need to check to make sure you replaced the drain plug and filter!

Jo da Plumbr 02-09-2010 05:04 PM

Whiskey always worked to get me lubed up.

I guess it could work in a car too.:rolleyes:

TXnorton 02-09-2010 05:10 PM

Works for me, but I'd suggest an upgrade to your drinking whisky!

Gatekeeper 02-09-2010 05:14 PM

Very inventive!
I usually cut the bottom off an empty quart of oil.

NitroxAZ 02-09-2010 05:47 PM

I have used a beer bottle before. If you take a 16 penny nail and drop it into the bottle point first and shake up and down, it will pop the bottom of the bottle off pretty cleanly.

Shihan 02-09-2010 06:09 PM

Really?...Canadian Whiskey, Oh the shame.

Troy Michalik 02-09-2010 06:11 PM

Meh, Iím not much of a whiskey drinker. That is a bottle that we had bought for a party back during Thanksgiving. I was just tickled that it was the same size and thread pattern as the fill cap. Iíve used an empty quart of oil before, but this was a 2 Ĺ gallon jug of Rottela and finding something that I didnít have to hold with one hand and pour with the other was a BIG plus.

orangello 02-09-2010 06:28 PM

I found that a two-liter coke bottle works well on my lil car. Yours seems classier.

suprdave 02-09-2010 07:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)