The National Firearms Museum in Fairfax, Virginia
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > The National Firearms Museum in Fairfax, Virginia

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2010, 12:03 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Default The National Firearms Museum in Fairfax, Virginia

September 17, 2010

NRA National Firearms Museum Will Open Petersen Gallery October 10

FAIRFAX, VA - The National Firearms Museum in Fairfax, Virginia, is pleased to announce its newest addition, a gallery created by the donation of an exquisite firearms collection from Mr. and Mrs. Robert E. Petersen. Considered one of the world's most avid sportsmen, Mr. Petersen published a number of iconic American magazines including Hot Rod, Guns & Ammo, and Motor Trend.

The Robert E. Petersen Gallery is scheduled to open on October 8, 2010. The opening marks the culmination of Mr. Petersen's dream to share his extraordinary collection of firearms with the world. Each will reside at the National Firearms Museum where they will be preserved for the education and enjoyment of future generations.

The 2,000 square foot Petersen Gallery will firmly establish the NRA National Firearms Museum as the finest firearms museum in the country. While every firearm selected is exceptional in its own way, notable highlights include:

* Largest collection of fine double rifles on display to the public.
* Exceptional collection of high end double barrel shotguns.
* Largest Gatling gun collection on public display.
* Guns owned and used by noted individuals such as Annie Oakley, John Olin, Robert Stack, Julian Hatcher, John F. Kennedy, Hermann Goering & Elmer Keith.

Bob and Margie first established a relationship with the NRA's National Firearms Museum in the 1990s when they loaned a substantial part of his antique Colt collection for display. Since that time, the museum has always been fortunate to exhibit priceless treasures from Mr. Petersen's personal collection.

"Husband, father, veteran, publisher, restaurateur, outdoorsman, automobile enthusiast, philanthropist and friend are all words that partially describe Mr. Petersen," Museum Director Jim Supica said. "The quality of arms and the artistry of the engraving on many pieces is simply phenomenal, and the National Firearms Museum is honored to display selections of Mr. Petersen's historical collection for all Americans to see."

While the collection is broad and varied, if there is a pervasive theme, it is that of the finest sporting arms in the world, including those by makers such as Beretta, Boss, Holland & Holland, Purdey, Fabbri, Galazan, Westley Richards, Parker, Browning and Rizzini.

"The generosity of the Petersens goes beyond anything the National Firearms Museum has ever seen," Senior Curator Phil Schreier said. "Mr. Petersen established the finest collection of extraordinary sporting arms ever assembled by any American."

Robert E. Petersen was born in Southern California in 1926. Following service in the US Army Air Corps in World War II, his interest in modified sports cars led him to create Hot Rod magazine in 1948. That flagship publication eventually grew into a publishing empire numbering 32 monthly periodicals and included: Guns & Ammo, Petersen's Hunting, and Handguns.

He hunted on nearly every continent and was credited with being the first person to ever take a polar bear with a .44 Magnum handgun. He was named Commissioner of Shooting Sports for the XXIIIrd Olympiad held in 1984, in Los Angeles, California.

The National Firearms Museum is located at 11250 Waples Mill Road in Fairfax, Virginia, and is open daily from 9:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. There is no admission fee. For more information, visit National Firearms Museum.
Danielle Sturgis (703) 267-1595

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-17-2010, 01:02 PM   #2

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Cool, I'll have to check it out on one of my Dulles trips.

I didn't know it was so close..

Old 09-17-2010, 06:07 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

An extremely generous and wonderful gift.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 09-17-2010, 06:15 PM   #4

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
An extremely generous and wonderful gift.
It would have been better if he would have donated them to ME or at least to the forum supporting members.

Old 09-17-2010, 06:29 PM   #5

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Sounds like someplace Pengie would liketo see if he is still in the area after it opens.

Integrity is doing good even when no-one is looking

Originally posted by Skullcrusher: "I believe the fact that you are LEO speaks for itself. When talking about strong women and guns, you are implied in every statement."

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Glass is proof that women have control over everything in the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
Glass has now achieved "Goddess Status" in my mind. I'm not worthy.....

Old 09-17-2010, 06:49 PM   #6

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

I've been to that museum. Amazing. They have the world's smallest working firearm. I can't remember the caliber, but it shoots something the size of the point on a pin. The collections are stunning and some of the most beautiful guns ever made. I will have to go back and see the new stuff.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!