Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > My Rant For Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2009, 10:24 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Default My Rant For Today

Here is my rant. (I'm trying to limit myself to one a day)

My good friend joined the Army in 2005 and was shipped to Iraq. He was there for 18 months (I think) as a HEMTT driver. He was shot once in his "shrapnel proof vest" and somehow it didn't penetrate skin, so he was denied a Purple Heart.
His HEMTT was hit behind his cab with an IED, filling his knees with shrapnel and making him 95% deaf in his right ear and 55% deaf in his left ear. He now needs knee replacements and has had to relearn to play the trumpet. His sergeant didn't fill out the correct paperwork and refuses to fix it because he doesn't want anything to do with the Army anymore. So he was denied a Purple Heart, again.
The government just shot down the idea that soldiers with PTSD would be given Purple Hearts. So my friend has been denied the medal, a third time. I can't imagine how upset he is.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Last edited by dnthmn2004; 02-23-2009 at 10:47 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-23-2009, 10:33 PM   #2

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

Sorry to hear about your friend, his sacrifice is truly appreciated. If the opportunity ever arose I would shake his hand, give him a hug and personally think him for his service in defending this great nation. It really pisses me off to hear how the gub'ment treats our vets past and present.

Century Arms AR-15A2, 5.56
1946 Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62x54R
1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

Old 02-23-2009, 11:41 PM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

If his 1st Sgt. won't help him out, he needs to just make a pest of himself by going up the chain, first to his Top. (or gunney if MC) to Company Cmdr ect. At some point, someone will give a ****.
ps. Tell him that his service and sacrifice will never be forgoten!

Article II: A Well Regulated Militia, Being Necessary To The Security Of A Free State, The Right Of The People To Keep And Bear Arms, Shall Not Be Infringed.

Article IV: The Right Of The People To Be Secure In There Persons, Houses, Papers, And Effects, Against Unreasonable Search And Seizures, Shall Not Be Violated, And No Warants Shall Issue, But Upon Probable Cause, Supported By Oath Or Affirmation, And Particulary Describing The Place To Be Searched, And The Persons Or Things To Be Seized.

Old 02-23-2009, 11:43 PM   #4

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

The purple heart is like the MOH them are the two awards you just don't wanna get. I meet a man with 9 purple hearts yes 9 of them. I could never figure out if he was the bravest sob, the craziest sob, or the dumbest sob on the planet.

I was at NTC where 3 of my closest friends almost lost their life because of a butter bar LT. My and two other guys didn't think we ran to the aid of them and pulled one from the burning wreckage which caused one rescuer to suffer 3rd degree burns on his arms from the engine and turbo as he was laying on the engine pulling the steering wheel out of the way. We saved three lives esp the PV2 that was shot threw the front window losing 8 of his ten fingers and ripping his left foot form his leg entirely (the only thing holding it on was a 1/4" boot leather. The one we pulled out had suffered a broken neck and a laceration from his chin to the back of his head it severed his eye in half. All three lived and to were retired medically they got nothing we got nothing. Were we mad about it NO we were just happy that our buddies were still alive.

I myself could have taken a 30% disability from the military. Because of my hearing loss suffered at the hands of the military. I denied it because their were other injured soldiers sailors air man and marines that needed more than me. So getting medals is not all that it is cracked up to be.

But if he is upset that he should have them then he needs to write his senators and tell them what happened and what is happening. If they has half their wits about them they will make it happen. If his SGT is still in then he needs to forward it up his chain of command. Sergeant Majors don't like this kind of stuff.

You tell him that if he is ever in the northern virginia area to look up Brett Young and I will cook him a big fat t-bone and get him a beer.

Old 02-23-2009, 11:47 PM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Yup, he doesn't know what he doesn't know. He won't be denied, think he is taking the first "im not gonna do it" at face value. The first incident with no penetration will get him a CAB. Second event is a no brainer, PH for sure. I bet a case of beer there is a simple solution lost in translation.

Old 02-24-2009, 12:10 AM   #6

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
The purple heart is like the MOH them are the two awards you just don't wanna get. I meet a man with 9 purple hearts yes 9 of them. I could never figure out if he was the bravest sob, the craziest sob, or the dumbest sob on the planet.

I was at NTC where 3 of my closest friends almost lost their life because of a butter bar LT. My and two other guys didn't think we ran to the aid of them and pulled one from the burning wreckage which caused one rescuer to suffer 3rd degree burns on his arms from the engine and turbo as he was laying on the engine pulling the steering wheel out of the way. We saved three lives esp the PV2 that was shot threw the front window losing 8 of his ten fingers and ripping his left foot form his leg entirely (the only thing holding it on was a 1/4" boot leather. The one we pulled out had suffered a broken neck and a laceration from his chin to the back of his head it severed his eye in half. All three lived and to were retired medically they got nothing we got nothing. Were we mad about it NO we were just happy that our buddies were still alive.

I myself could have taken a 30% disability from the military. Because of my hearing loss suffered at the hands of the military. I denied it because their were other injured soldiers sailors air man and marines that needed more than me. So getting medals is not all that it is cracked up to be.

But if he is upset that he should have them then he needs to write his senators and tell them what happened and what is happening. If they has half their wits about them they will make it happen. If his SGT is still in then he needs to forward it up his chain of command. Sergeant Majors don't like this kind of stuff.

You tell him that if he is ever in the northern virginia area to look up Brett Young and I will cook him a big fat t-bone and get him a beer.
I'm sure he didn't care at the time about being denied. Its now, years later and trying to deal with the aftermath, that he feels somewhat robbed, mostly because of the health benefits. He owns his own business and pays out the wazoo for health insurance. Unfortunately, his old sergeant retired and wants nothing to do with the Army or writing up the correct papers.
We have done a couple of road trips to Richmond, VA. Don't know if we will ever again, but I'll let you know.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Old 02-24-2009, 12:31 AM   #7
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnthmn2004 View Post
Here is my rant. (I'm trying to limit myself to one a day)

My good friend joined the Army in 2005 and was shipped to Iraq. He was there for 18 months (I think) as a HEMTT driver. He was shot once in his "shrapnel proof vest" and somehow it didn't penetrate skin, so he was denied a Purple Heart.
His HEMTT was hit behind his cab with an IED, filling his knees with shrapnel and making him 95% deaf in his right ear and 55% deaf in his left ear. He now needs knee replacements and has had to relearn to play the trumpet. His sergeant didn't fill out the correct paperwork and refuses to fix it because he doesn't want anything to do with the Army anymore. So he was denied a Purple Heart, again.
The government just shot down the idea that soldiers with PTSD would be given Purple Hearts. So my friend has been denied the medal, a third time. I can't imagine how upset he is.
I have one of those ugly medals, Today the wound doesn't effect my life and while it seems stupid it is important our nation honors those that were injured in defense of our country. I would suggest your friend take it public and let the local news tell his story. I expect the Army might think twice as your friend has preminate loss and got it in defense of our nation.