My Posts Are Going Halter - Scalder

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > My Posts Are Going Halter - Scalder

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2008, 01:46 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Cleaning the Glock 30SF Question

Ok, so I've done a fair amount of research and watching of videos of glock cleaning... I hear a lot of bad press about allowing lube or solvent leak into the firing pin channel... Now I am nervous about cleaning that area of my gun. I am completely new to this and this is my first firearm, so I just want to make sure I am doing it all correctly. I'm assuming the "breech face" is simply the wall of the slide where the firing pin pokes thru? If that is correct, would it be safe to use a toothbrush with a bit of solvent on that area to clean it? (Then of course drying it thoroughly?) If someone can go into more detail for what is safe and what I should not do I'd greatly appreciate it. The manual that came with it doesn't go into very much detail at all and I'd like some info on how to safely clean that rear area of the slide.
-Also is it safe to use a little bit of solvent on the plastic frame part of the gun? Thanks very much.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-17-2008, 03:35 PM   #2

Ok, so now I read that you should keep the slide pointed down toward the table when cleaning the breach face area... (To prevent any solvent from leaking into the firing pin hole...) My next question is am I supposed to pull the firing pin back into the slide before cleaning the breach face area?

Old 04-17-2008, 07:01 PM   #3

Liked 320 Times on 185 Posts
Likes Given: 354

Default My Posts Are Going Halter - Scalder

WHY??I got me half? Nuts!!

Old 04-17-2008, 07:30 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2731 Times on 1430 Posts
Likes Given: 230

Any solvent advertised for gun cleaning should be safe with the plastic frame and other parts. You could get inito trouble if you use some industrial or automotive chemicals instead. Starting fluid (Ether) or carburetor cleaner can turn the frame off white.

The gun should be detail stripped every year or 1000 rds (whichever comes first) by a competant armorer/gun smith. You can get a build up of gunk in the striker channel that can cause some problems including failure to fire.

Old 04-20-2008, 03:18 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
Any solvent advertised for gun cleaning should be safe with the plastic frame and other parts. You could get inito trouble if you use some industrial or automotive chemicals instead. Starting fluid (Ether) or carburetor cleaner can turn the frame off white.

The gun should be detail stripped every year or 1000 rds (whichever comes first) by a competant armorer/gun smith. You can get a build up of gunk in the striker channel that can cause some problems including failure to fire.
Ok, but when I do a general cleaning (after a day at the range), when I clean the breach face area, am I supposed to "retract" the firing pin first? Or do I leave it in its "striked" position to keep the hole a bit more closed off? I know I'm not supposed to let any solvent or lube leak into the firing pin channel, and I'm also nervous about getting any on the firing pin itself? Please let me know... thx

Old 04-22-2008, 02:29 PM   #6

And I think it's nonsense that the subject line was tarnished on my OP... I posted this under the GLOCK forum because it is asking about a GLOCK handgun. I don't understand why it was moved and edited by a moderator?

Last edited by Dan64456; 04-22-2008 at 02:35 PM.

Old 04-22-2008, 09:25 PM   #7
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan64456 View Post
And I think it's nonsense that the subject line was tarnished on my OP... I posted this under the GLOCK forum because it is asking about a GLOCK handgun. I don't understand why it was moved and edited by a moderator?
No, not at all. There was a problem with the database that has the forums, subjects and posts and a few posts got messed up. Feel free to repost this on the Glock forum and it should stay put now.

Old 04-23-2008, 03:36 PM   #8

My mistake... Thanks for clearing this up for me.