Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > My poor Toyota!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2010, 09:15 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 2 Posts

Default My poor Toyota!

I purchased a 1990 Camry in 2006 that had been pampered for all of it's 179K
miles @ an auction for a grand & drove the car for a few k miles until it burned
a valve. I had the engine rebuilt & did the "r&r" with my own 2 hands only to
have an idiot pull blindly out of the Post Falls Walmart & STOP in my path! At
least the fool was ticketed for failing to yield! What pisses me off is the fact
that it could have been a "near miss" if the idiot had not stopped! I was only
going about 25 to 30 mph in second gear with studded tires but after a futile
attempt to avoid the crash all I could do was brace my arms across the
steering wheel with my head on them & brace for the impact! As I pushed the
clutch in & came to rest in the right lane, they had pulled into the Wal-mart
parking lot. (Lucky for them I was not driving my 1982 Ford f-150 4x4) or
there might have been more damage)! But the fat pig still chose to argue
with the Post Falls cop claiming I was going over 45 mph! The leo "knew"
that I was not the offender when I presented my carry permit & asked him if
he needed that for reference! He said no & released me. I have had enough
of 2010! (My unluckiest year ever!!!)

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-31-2010, 09:38 AM   #2

Liked 5 Times on 2 Posts

Default btW,

That little car turned out to be tougher than I expected! There are still more
late 80's & early 90's Camrys on the road than any other car on the road
today! Thank goodness I did not get "airbagged" as airbags were not placed into service until after 1992! AND YES, I had my .380 handgun firmly placed
in it's holster in my right pocket even after the crash!

Old 12-31-2010, 10:33 PM   #3
Kostriker
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1778 Times on 1014 Posts
Likes Given: 3562

At least you or anyone else did not get hurt!

I can agree with you on 2010 being a crap year!

Old 12-31-2010, 11:11 PM   #4

Liked 672 Times on 462 Posts
Likes Given: 678

I feel for you! My problem is that no one makes cars for TALL people, not to mention large in general, especially Toyota.

2010 has really sucked!!!

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 12-31-2010, 11:28 PM   #5

i disagree. i own a 2005 matix and fit comfortably being 6"6' and 315 lbs. granted the seat is all the way back and as far down as it can go but none the less is very comfortable, especially on long trips. but that does suck about your veh. being a mechanic i would hate to do that much work and have it be wrecked a short while after that.

If you ignore your rights, they WILL go away

Last edited by Bignews; 12-31-2010 at 11:30 PM. Reason: wanted to add addtional comments

Old 01-01-2011, 10:37 AM   #6

Liked 5 Times on 2 Posts

Default Bignews, you have a tough car as well...

Our Qc inspector had a 2005 Matrix as well & hit a very large bull Elk near
Fighting Creek Idaho! If they had not ducked before the impact they would
have been decapitated! Pop & I saw the carcass the morning after as we
traveled the same road to St Maries! That bull tore off their roof & turned the
car into a "convertible"!!!I have never hit a big game animal, even
though I have had a few close calls!

Old 01-01-2011, 02:08 PM   #7

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

My wife has an 04 matrix. They must have done something between the 04 and 05 model because at 5'11" My knees hurt after 35 minutes driving that thing. It has 126k miles and runs just as good as it did brand new. Hell it runs better than my dam worthless Saturn. Oh that car is CRAP. If I turn it sounds like the old clear perk coffee pots and gurgles. When I go to stop the dang breaks shudders and it doesn't have ABS but the shudders comes and goes. When I pull out of the driveway the spoiler scrapes so bad it has now fallen off 5 times. I had to replace the gas cap after 3 months and the dealership said it was not under warranty. Oh the cruise control is hit or miss. one day it wont work at all the next it works fine the day after that it will not resume now it is not working at all. OH I just want to get rid of this POS. When I am sitting at a stop light it will just randomly go click click click... I have replaced every stinking light on it 4 times in 3 years.

Old 01-01-2011, 05:08 PM   #8

Liked 685 Times on 421 Posts
Likes Given: 1671

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh View Post
I feel for you! My problem is that no one makes cars for TALL people, not to mention large in general, especially Toyota.

2010 has really sucked!!!
Being 6'6" and pushing 300 at times, I too am limited to larger automobiles for leg/headroom. But when Subaru redesigned the Forester from a wagon to more of an suv for 2009, I tried one out, pulled back into the dealership lot, and told the salesman "I want that!". 36k miles later, I am still happy with it. I will admit that by the last 500 miles of last summer's 5k-mile vacation road trip, my knees were aching a little, so I stopped every 100 miles to stretch. It has got plenty of headroom, and adequate legroom even in the backseat for me.

Old 01-01-2011, 05:45 PM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5325 Times on 2779 Posts
Likes Given: 338

i feel your pain. my first baby was a pontiac formula fire bird t-tops v8 bright red. my brother wrecked it while i was in basic/AIT at fort mcclellan alabama for mp training. when i got orders for hawaii all i could think about was taking my firebird to hawaii. got home on leave after training and before reporting to my duty station to find my beloved firebird in the shape of a 16' long detroit steel "U".

my brother had got hit by a semi. he lived but they hid the wreck from me for months. :/

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 01-01-2011, 06:03 PM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

My little 1991 Toyota Tercel has finally been retired - in true Redneck fasion, it sits inmy backyard on blocks.
Got it from Mom in 2001 when she got her new Sable. The Tercel had little trade-in value, so it got handed down. Better commuter than my clunky Ramcharger 4X4. Three times better mileage!
But time and miles took their toll. Cooling system problems - I CANNOT get a fan temp switch to save my life! FOUR times they give me the wrong switch....
Brakes shot, engine running on three cylinders and now getting 16MPG. Tranny getting quirky.
And..... I am 6'4" and north of 350 lbs...... I get weird looks climbing out of the "Anonymous Little White Car" as a co-worker has named it.

So, I now drive a 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan, have had it nearly a year and am STILL finding 'features' I never dreamed existed! Fanciest vehicle I have ever owned! Heaven help me if the electronics ever break down. Fits me much better, gets 25MPG highway, that gutsy 3.8L V6 has some very nice "Giddy up & go!" - the look as I accelerate out of a twin-turn intersection when another car tries to jump ahead and cut in front of me, only to be shut down by a MINVAN!! BWAHAHAHA!!!! Priceless! I can camp in it (and will be this MLK weekend!). I can haul lumber in the 8 ft cargo area, with longer stuff strapped to the roof rack.
I call it the "Man's Minivan"!
And due to a quirk (or the fact they never informed me I could have reduced the Tercel's premium) I am now paying the SAME for full cover insurance on the Dodge as I paid for MINIMUM coverage on the Toymotor! Sheesh!
Maybe it's my age - I'm in the Geezer bracket now.......

But, this Big Dog is happy........

Last edited by Bigdog57; 01-01-2011 at 06:08 PM.