My one week layoff - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > My one week layoff

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2012, 11:09 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2605 Times on 1481 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

Never worked in MS...

Old 09-20-2012, 11:18 PM   #12

Liked 53 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 11

When I had my shop we had to pay into unemployment for our employees so we had to figure it into the compensation package. If you make 20 an hour your employer is paying unemployment, the office share of your insurance and liability insurance for accidents involving you. 20 bucks ends up costing a fair bit more for the employer in the end. That said, to the OP it is part of your pay so don't feel bad about using it.

Keep up with the trends, avoid the fads, take your time and do work you can be proud of always

Old 09-20-2012, 11:25 PM   #13

Liked 39 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 1

So from what I'm understanding from coworkers, they did the same thing back in 08. For 6 months. I looked up the shared work program.

http://www.labor.ny.gov/ui/dande/sharedwork1.shtm

looks like it does come from UI Contributions. Or atleast it appears that way. From what their telling me you work four 7hr days and then you receive a unemployment check for the remanding hrs. Which usually equals out to about 15-30$ less than your normal weekly wages.
I'm hoping I don't have to jump ship because I really like my job, but you gotta do what you gotta do. Most of the other places in this area are also suffering. Some have work but can't get material from vendors dues to massive layoffs. They economy is going down the tube. Only good thing about where I work is that it's a global brand and we get business from literally everywhere.

Old 09-20-2012, 11:28 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by therewolf View Post
Never worked in MS...
Pick a state, i'll read up tonight. The federal unemployment (940) works the same nationwide, so far as i know.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 09-21-2012, 12:14 AM   #15

Liked 1651 Times on 985 Posts
Likes Given: 361

Quote:
Originally Posted by therewolf View Post
Slow down there, skippy, WE pay unemployment premiums.

They snatch it right out of your check, with no permission

asked, or granted. Then they jerk us around for WEEKS, before

paying any benefits, and act like it's your lucky day, when they

finally pay you your due...

I'd recommend finding some other P/T work. THEN you're at the mercy of

neither company. If either company wants you F/T, you have the

leverage to force them to pay full boat...
In Florida, UC premiums are NOT held out of an employees paycheck. Neither is Federal UC premiums. The employer pays these and it can not, by law, be passed on the the employee.

I don't have a clue how the other states handle state UC.

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

Old 09-21-2012, 12:43 AM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 89 Times on 59 Posts

My dad worked for a company for 44 years and at the age of 72 they fired him. It's a long story about why they fired him but when he applied for unemployment for the first time in his life the company denied his claim. When the appeal came up they called my dad and asked him his version of what happened and after he told them his first check was cut that afternoon. When out was all said and done with the extensions and everything else he drew benefits for over 2 years. He had worked his entire life paying taxes and everything else and I see nothing wrong with him getting the benefits. So I say if you like you job then work the hours they are offering and draw your unemployment.

Old 09-21-2012, 02:26 AM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1007 Times on 605 Posts
Likes Given: 220

I'd be surprised if you collect any unemployment, you're pay will exceed the unemployment pay for the week.

Having said that, this can be a great opportunity for a company to maintain their skilled workers and survive a temp situation and still survive. The risk is the most employable employees will seek work elsewhere. you will have to make an honest assessment of the company's chance of survival and decide to stick it out or seek other employment.

Good luck!

Old 09-21-2012, 02:40 AM   #18
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8812 Times on 5096 Posts
Likes Given: 11483

I am an employer and I pay into unemployment for each employee and then if an employee is laid off from any job in the future then I have to pay more unemployment for that employee, as do other past employers.

In reality unemployment is part of your overall compensation package (as is the "employer contribution" into SS and any other payments into medical, dental and what have you) in addition to your hourly wage or salary, but most people do not see it that way. However, if you never claim unemployment benefits then you are basically forfeiting that portion of your earned compensation.

There is no shame in receiving unemployment benefits because you earned it!!!!!

Old 09-21-2012, 11:11 AM   #19

Liked 39 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by partdeux
I'd be surprised if you collect any unemployment, you're pay will exceed the unemployment pay for the week.

Having said that, this can be a great opportunity for a company to maintain their skilled workers and survive a temp situation and still survive. The risk is the most employable employees will seek work elsewhere. you will have to make an honest assessment of the company's chance of survival and decide to stick it out or seek other employment.

Good luck!
This isint like going on your standard unemployment. So the same rules do not apply I don't think as far as the shared work program goes. I think they DO apply for the full week that were shut down. I was told that if we decide to apply for unemployment that week that we can only use 1day of vacation in order to be eligible.

Old 09-21-2012, 01:41 PM   #20

Liked 1623 Times on 696 Posts
Likes Given: 2092

I'm with the others, unemployment compensation is not welfare.

My feeling is that if the elections go well, the economy will surge based on the fact that investors won't be afraid, and the prospect of the Obamacare repeal.

Hang on just a little longer...