Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > My one week layoff

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2012, 08:21 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 39 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default My one week layoff

This is kind of a rant / needing your opinions thread.
I work for a company that has up until now handled the "recession" very well. Today a announcement was made that on October first through the fifth, the plant will close down due decrease in sales. And if sales still are not picking up by then we will go on what's called a "shared work program" this is where you work 4 7hr days and for the time left over everyone receives a unemployment check.
My Problem is we just had out annual "shutdown vacation" which burnt up all the vacation time some of us had leaving me unpaid for this up coming lay off. We can file for unemployment for that week but I really don't agree with taking handouts. And I'm not to sure if I agree with the work share program. Most of my coworkers are more than excited about working less and getting equal pay from the program.
While I don't make a tone of money I really can't afford to take any unpaid time, I also don't agree with people riding along on hand outs either. I have never been on unemployment, or any kind of govt assistance. Because I've always worked and never needed it. Should I just juggle bills and make due, or take the offer. My conscience is getting the best of me. Your opinions please.
Could this be the beginning of the end for my company, maybe the economy is finally catchin up with us. Or is it just a temporary bump in the road.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-20-2012, 08:25 PM   #2

Liked 287 Times on 193 Posts

Dont worry about taking a hand-out.....by working 4 7's you will earn too much money to even qualify for partial unemployment check.

Old 09-20-2012, 08:28 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

If you qualify, take the benefits while you look for a better job in your spare time. The unemployment office people might be able to give you some leads.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 09-20-2012, 08:35 PM   #4

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3475 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

You have been working all this time paying into unemployment with each check. Really you are just getting some of YOUR money back, which is how the system was designed to work.

It's NOT a hand out. A hand out is when you haven't done f*ck all and you want someone to give you something.

You have been a working, tax paying citizen. You get to collect unemployment and NOT fee bad about it. You have been following the rules the whole time, these are part of the benefits of following the rules.

'Gello's right. Take any and all assistance you can get while you look for a new job. Use the time "off" to brush up the resume and make your job for the day to send out or submit "X" number of resumes.

Then you are still "working" and you won't feel like you are "just being on unemployment".

We have all been there at one time or another. Trust me, it sucks, but it's fair. You have earned it through getting up every morning and going to work.

JD

Last edited by Dillinger; 09-20-2012 at 09:37 PM. Reason: Clarity
People Like This 
Old 09-20-2012, 08:36 PM   #5

Liked 1114 Times on 719 Posts
Likes Given: 276

You are following in the footsteps of millions. Be glad that you have some payroll. If you have earned benefits, don't be bashful about accepting them. It doesn't make you a bum......

I have worked in construction all of my life, and was laid off for the first time in 2009. It took me 54 weeks of diligent searching to find a job making 1/3 of what I made before. I figured out how to make it without too much sacrifice.

When I was laid off I waited about 3 months before applying for unemployment benefits. Waiting was really not fair to my family, but I kept thinking I would be back to work any day.

Good luck, hopefully things will improve soon.

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

Old 09-20-2012, 09:31 PM   #6

Liked 1120 Times on 727 Posts
Likes Given: 1995

At one time u have paid for that unemployment use it while its available. My wife is currently laid off as the school didn't have funding for a extra pre K class this yr. Sad with all the state tax $$$ being pissed away on B.S. that kids have to miss out on the opportunity for early learning. She is looking for another job but she wants to keep her foot in the door there and today was offered a 2 hr , 3 day job teaching kids to read that need extra help. Still working but still collecting a check as it still doesn't pay what she made when teaching full time.

Last edited by purehavoc; 09-20-2012 at 09:39 PM.

Old 09-20-2012, 09:33 PM   #7
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 698 Times on 387 Posts
Likes Given: 729

Quote:
Originally Posted by markw2011 View Post
This is kind of a rant / needing your opinions thread.
I work for a company that has up until now handled the "recession" very well. Today a announcement was made that on October first through the fifth, the plant will close down due decrease in sales. And if sales still are not picking up by then we will go on what's called a "shared work program" this is where you work 4 7hr days and for the time left over everyone receives a unemployment check.
My Problem is we just had out annual "shutdown vacation" which burnt up all the vacation time some of us had leaving me unpaid for this up coming lay off. We can file for unemployment for that week but I really don't agree with taking handouts. And I'm not to sure if I agree with the work share program. Most of my coworkers are more than excited about working less and getting equal pay from the program.
While I don't make a tone of money I really can't afford to take any unpaid time, I also don't agree with people riding along on hand outs either. I have never been on unemployment, or any kind of govt assistance. Because I've always worked and never needed it. Should I just juggle bills and make due, or take the offer. My conscience is getting the best of me. Your opinions please.
Could this be the beginning of the end for my company, maybe the economy is finally catchin up with us. Or is it just a temporary bump in the road.
Unemployment is not a handout. Your employer pays that. They have been paying money for years so that when things like that happen you won't personally go under.

Not Registered? Register now! - It's free and helps the community grow.

Old 09-20-2012, 09:35 PM   #8

Liked 31 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Getting unemployment money is not a handout, you worked for that and it's not comming from the government it's comming from your employer.

Old 09-20-2012, 09:58 PM   #9

Liked 2442 Times on 1391 Posts
Likes Given: 1910

Quote:
Originally Posted by notdku View Post
Unemployment is not a handout. Your employer pays that. They have been paying money for years so that when things like that happen you won't personally go under.
Slow down there, skippy, WE pay unemployment premiums.

They snatch it right out of your check, with no permission

asked, or granted. Then they jerk us around for WEEKS, before

paying any benefits, and act like it's your lucky day, when they

finally pay you your due...

I'd recommend finding some other P/T work. THEN you're at the mercy of

neither company. If either company wants you F/T, you have the

leverage to force them to pay full boat...

Old 09-20-2012, 10:05 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by therewolf View Post
Slow down there, skippy, WE pay unemployment premiums.
In MS, unemployment taxes are collected from the employer as a percentage of wages paid and with an annual cap on wages subject to the percentage/tax. It is not withheld from the employees wages, though it does reduce the free funds a company has available to offer as wages. The federal unemployment tax comes out the same way, not from the wages but from the employer based on the amount of the wages.

This is how some small businesses get in trouble on wages; they don't realize the costs above and beyond the hourly wage.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.