Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   My Kind'a Guy. (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/my-kinda-guy-9426/)

gorknoids 12-25-2008 10:25 PM

My Kind'a Guy.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/orange/orl-hero2508dec25,0,232353.story

Dillinger 12-25-2008 10:42 PM

Great Story! +1 on that find.

I would be honored to buy such a man a drink of his choosing. I love his fighting spirit & willingness to protect what is his.

"We want to get a message out to other people. Be prepared. Keep your doors locked. And be alert.

His wife added, "And have a gun ready."

Great story - and to the two SOB's who would break into a couple's home on Christmas, I hope your death is slow, agonizing and a career in relation to deaths in an old folks home.

JD

BacktoGats 12-26-2008 01:12 PM

Really makes you think about where you keep the gun at home, if his gun had been in another back room, it could've turned out differently.

user4 12-26-2008 07:29 PM

Thanks! After my wife reads this, she won't nix me buying her an XD40.

Benning Boy 12-26-2008 07:41 PM

Good man. Well done.

Dillinger 12-26-2008 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ineffable (Post 57609)
Thanks! After my wife reads this, she won't nix me buying her an XD40.

Might want to have her TRY a couple of weapons before you outright purchase one. There isn't anything wrong with the XD, but it does have a wide grip and your woman might not feel comfortable with it when trying to reach the mag release and trigger.

My gal has somewhat larger hands than "average" - but then she is 5'-10", so it goes with the package. :D In trying out a lot of guns at the range, she never shot before she met me, she just didn't like the wider grip, double stack models.

Of course she ended up talking me into getting her, her own 1911 in 9mm, but she was very "persuasive" in her arguments for it...:D:cool:

JD

user4 12-26-2008 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dillinger (Post 57619)
Might want to have her TRY a couple of weapons before you outright purchase one. There isn't anything wrong with the XD, but it does have a wide grip and your woman might not feel comfortable with it when trying to reach the mag release and trigger.

My gal has somewhat larger hands than "average" - but then she is 5'-10", so it goes with the package. :D In trying out a lot of guns at the range, she never shot before she met me, she just didn't like the wider grip, double stack models.

Of course she ended up talking me into getting her, her own 1911 in 9mm, but she was very "persuasive" in her arguments for it...:D:cool:

JD

Interesting. I heard from the Glock boys that the XD had a smaller grip. That was the driving factor in selecting it. She has the hands for a G19 comfortably, but I'm not a fan of the nine as a stopping power round, even in hydrashock. Back to the drawing board on that one...but on a related note, she read the article and is officially inboard now :)

Dillinger 12-26-2008 09:42 PM

In 124gr. or 135gr. the 9mm is fine for "detering" your average attacker and the limited recoil insures that she will shoot it and not be scared of it. Something you have to factor in because having the most powerful handgun in the world, sitting in a drawer at home, isn't going to do you any good in the mall parking lot.

My woman shoots regularly and knows how to put more than one round on target, so I am comfortable with her carrying it for self defense. She is actually one of my best students and does dry fire practice at least once a week here in the living room. Given what I paid for her pistol, she damn well better... LOL

JD

CA357 12-27-2008 02:09 AM

Since this happened in Florida, they should keelhaul those guys when they find them. It may discourage others.

cpttango30 12-27-2008 02:19 AM

You know what they could do if they do find these scum bags.

Find a tall tree and get a short rope and as Charlie Daniels says "Let'em swing till the sun goes down".

What is this world comming to?