Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > My friend the Marine

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2009, 04:53 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default My friend the Marine

Hey guys I've got a friend joining the Marines he'll be leaving for Boot Camp soon....now since the M9 is going to be his sidearm I thought I should get him a new magazine since that is what I hear is the first thing that fails with the m9.

I was looking and saw that you can get flush fit 19 or 20 Round magazines....but I'm not sure if the Marines will allow them or not. And if they do I want the best damn mag you can buy for an M9 so enlighten me.

What are your thoughts? I was going to give him that and give him one of my PMAGs as a present so he can use that if he wants....I'd give them to his dad and have his dad ship them off to my pal when he's shipped out.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-09-2009, 05:15 AM   #2

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Don't give him it when he goes to boot. That'd just get locked away with his personal possessions. Plus if your friend is smart he'll only have a carry on with him and any part of weapons are a no-no on TSA flights if I remember correctly.

"This is not about land or money...but the one thing that no man should never be able to take from another man: the freedom to make his own choices about his life, where he'll live, how he'll live, how he'll raise his family. "

William Travis, The Alamo: 13 Days to Glory

Old 06-09-2009, 05:33 AM   #3

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts

I know you are excited to help him out, but you have to be patient. Wait till he finishes boot and his MOS training and gets assigned a home duty post. You can send it to him then or chances are he will get deployed, to one of our "ongoing conflicts" then you can send him some "POWA" (personal owned weapon attachments).

When I was in group, all of us team members were able to carry our own weapons of choice and accessories, besides our issued ones. Depending on his MOS, He may be able to do that also.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 06-09-2009, 08:30 AM   #4

Guys I know this. I'm not going to give it to him for boot camp.

I am going to give it to his dad...and then when he is out of boot at a reasonable time they will be sent to him when it is appropriate.

*EDIT

It's looking like the Mec-Gar 20 Rounders are the best. Any reviews on them?

Last edited by JiroZero713; 06-09-2009 at 08:44 AM.

Old 06-10-2009, 02:25 AM   #5

Aye another suggestions for magazines?

Old 06-10-2009, 03:49 AM   #6
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I'd suggest Hustler, Penthouse or Playboy. Honestly USMC provides all the mags he will need. Give him something not already provided, something personal between you two. It will mean a lot more than a mag.

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Old 06-10-2009, 05:49 PM   #7

Who's to say what present not to give lol its his friend. Let's pretend the question was " What is the best Mag for a M9?" Anyone have any input?

BERETTA 92FS/M9 9mm 18rd Magazine w/ Anti Friction Coating [RSR-MCGPB9218AFC] - $24.99 : Talon Arms!, Your on-line Tactical Tool Box

Old 06-10-2009, 06:29 PM   #8

Aye I'm liking the 18 Round Mec-Gar as well since it flush fits a bit more...but then again the 20 Rounder only sticks out 3/4 of an inch and is pratically the same thing with 2 extra rounds.

Also from what I understand the magazines they get are less than the best out there...they function but they are the first thing to fail most likely unless you are smart and clean the magazines you get and replace the springs.

That is probably not true but hell giving my friend some nice magazines that function in the weapon and give him 4 extra shots? Hell yeah.

Old 06-12-2009, 10:35 PM   #9

I went ahead with the 18 rounder instead of the 20 Rounder...it's just as good and it fits flush in the mag.

They didn't have the 20 rounder anyway.

Old 06-12-2009, 11:41 PM   #10

Nice I'm sure he'll like it when he gets out!

I'm going to Officer Candidate Course in October down in Virginia.