Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   My dog refuses to bark (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/my-dog-refuses-bark-65661/)

nukinfuts29 06-02-2012 02:46 PM

My dog refuses to bark

I have a 1.5 year old AKC Syberian Husky named "Felonious Assault", I call him Felon ;) Anyway most people are scared off by his appearence, he is not only a bi-eye but he weighs in at 116 pounds and looks like a wolf. Not those small wolves, I mean he looks like an actual massive wolf.

Anyway Felon refuses to bark. I think the only time I ever heard him growl or think of barking was when a huge pack of coyotes came into our yard during last deer season to try and get at a buck I had hanging way up. Even then he just mostly whined and paced around.

He also does not "sing" which may be related. Even if you try super hard to make him do it, he just does not care. He has howled maybe 3 times in his life.

Anyone have any training advice for getting him to bark at people he does not know?

ScottA 06-02-2012 02:53 PM

116 lb Siberian Husky!? Good night! I've heard of Malamutes that big, but I've never heard of a Husky above 80.

Maybe he needs more time around other dogs.

Overkill0084 06-02-2012 02:58 PM

I know you see it as a problem. I wish my neighbor's dog had that problem. He's a 116lb Husky, maybe he knows just how bad a$$ he really is, and feels that barking is undignified for someone of his stature.

willshoum 06-02-2012 03:02 PM

Barking up the wrong tree.......

Seems your dog is smarter than most people..........lol......Have him watch the movie Call of the wild........You stop and think that maybe a trip to the vet and have his vocal cords checked out, he may have something that causes him pain when he barks or howls........He may be having hearing problems.......Silence is Golden..........Good luck......:)

nukinfuts29 06-02-2012 04:47 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottA (Post 822517)
116 lb Siberian Husky!? Good night! I've heard of Malamutes that big, but I've never heard of a Husky above 80.

Maybe he needs more time around other dogs.

Yea he was 35 pounds at 14 weeks. I went to pick him up and said NO WAY he is 14 weeks, but he was. See the comparison pics at the bottom of this post. 14 weeks, one year. He is even bigger now. The worst is when he runs from one end of the house to the other, my six year old step son has to leap out of the way.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Overkill0084 (Post 822520)
I know you see it as a problem. I wish my neighbor's dog had that problem. He's a 116lb Husky, maybe he knows just how bad a$$ he really is, and feels that barking is undignified for someone of his stature.

I know, I'm supposed to enjoy it. I sleep fairly hard these days so it would be nice if he would do something if someone breaks in besides watch.

Quote:

Originally Posted by willshoum (Post 822525)
Seems your dog is smarter than most people..........lol......Have him watch the movie Call of the wild........You stop and think that maybe a trip to the vet and have his vocal cords checked out, he may have something that causes him pain when he barks or howls........He may be having hearing problems.......Silence is Golden..........Good luck......:)

I actually did, they said some huskys just don't do it but physically he is fine. I have heard him howel maybe three times at coyotes at my moms, but as soon as i would run to the door to listen he would stop so I have no proof it was him lol.

Snakedriver 06-02-2012 05:09 PM

Hey consider yourself luck, the people across the lake from us have three of them, about the size of yours, and they NEVER quit barking. :(:confused::(:confused:

Wiebelhaus 06-02-2012 05:09 PM

Holly holly he's a big boy.

94browninghunt 06-02-2012 05:17 PM

He's a big boy! My dog howls even though she's a German shep. But she barks at anything she feels threatening: skunks, yotes, snakes and stuff. You can try making him a little aggressive? He might get into the fact that it's ok to growl and bark for fun and when threatened

gollygee 06-02-2012 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Overkill0084 (Post 822520)

I agree. He figures he has nothing to prove. :)

It doesn't always hold true, but seems the smaller they are, the louder they are. :)

Josh1158 06-02-2012 05:29 PM

Maybe the breeder did something. I kinda trained my dog not to bark alot when he was around 5 to 6 weeks old.