Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > My Dog

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2010, 01:26 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 39 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhuk View Post
On the other hand...a farm working dog in Australia is of a far more 'Conservative' persuasion

Sleeps until 4am when 'the boss' wakes him for a hard days work.
Has some dry dehydrated-ground-sheep-meal mixed with water and a handful dumped on top of his 'kennel'. Occasional offcut of newly slaughtered lamb if he's lucky. Or a rabbit he's caught himself.
Only gets fed once a day. Twice on extra special occasions or if sick.
Only those who work are fed.
Never been to the vet; broken legs etc are set with a stout stick and a bit of fencing wire. Vaccinations unknown to him. If injuries too severe to recover on his own, quickly despatched via rifle.
Lives in a 'kennel'; often a shelter made of an old metal feed-drum, sawed in half. Or a corrugated iron humpy knocked together. Chained to this at all times when not working.
Works his canine arse off sunrise to sunset.
Has no fear of guns whatsoever, and often strains at his chain eager to be at 'em when he hears the bolt sliding in.

Despite this life of hardship, is easily worth the value of two men and will do anything asked and much that is not. Is the happiest dog in the world.

When he dies, 'the boss' will secretly shed tears.

Good looking pups zhuk, are they yours?

Old 01-02-2010, 01:30 AM   #12

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzscubie View Post
Good looking pups zhuk, are they yours?

Ha, no cubie! I'm confined to inner-citydom alas

But I have intimate knowledge of working dogs thru my cousin on the land. They are truly incredible creatures...

Old 01-02-2010, 03:52 AM   #13

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:

But I have intimate knowledge of working dogs thru my cousin on the land. They are truly incredible creatures...
That they are Zhuk, I work with one every day. He always wants to go to work, he would be happiest if we didn't have any days off.

Integrity is doing good even when no-one is looking

Originally posted by Skullcrusher: "I believe the fact that you are LEO speaks for itself. When talking about strong women and guns, you are implied in every statement."

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Glass is proof that women have control over everything in the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
Glass has now achieved "Goddess Status" in my mind. I'm not worthy.....

Old 01-02-2010, 03:54 AM   #14

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:

I too have an intimate knowledge of working dogs. Aussies especially. Here in Southern Colorado these dogs are valued as part of the rural farming culture almost as much as their human counterparts. The boy I show off on these threads was picked out of a chicken coup way out east in Hasty. Came from working dogs on both sides and was a mangy mess of burrs and hairballs before his first grooming.

I will say that here in the states, especially Colorado, we take care of our dogs like siblings or kin. Broken leg = $200 veterinary bill and a healthy dog with in a month. Dogs don't get sick much because we provide them with preventative medication/vaccinations. We don't keep our dogs in kennels, because they are our security systems for our homes and land. We would never think of taking a rifle to our friend. If he's sick beyond help we buy a $25 injection from the feed store and our whole family is there to mourn their lost family member and say goodbyes. Then the men give a proper burial.

Once civilization catches up to you out there in the outback more of this will make sense to you. A dog is a blessing and an investment. Intelligence should guide you in protecting your friend/investment.

Old 01-02-2010, 05:38 AM   #15

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggsbakes View Post
I too have an intimate knowledge of working dogs. Aussies especially. Here in Southern Colorado these dogs are valued as part of the rural farming culture almost as much as their human counterparts. The boy I show off on these threads was picked out of a chicken coup way out east in Hasty. Came from working dogs on both sides and was a mangy mess of burrs and hairballs before his first grooming.

I will say that here in the states, especially Colorado, we take care of our dogs like siblings or kin. Broken leg = $200 veterinary bill and a healthy dog with in a month. Dogs don't get sick much because we provide them with preventative medication/vaccinations. We don't keep our dogs in kennels, because they are our security systems for our homes and land. We would never think of taking a rifle to our friend. If he's sick beyond help we buy a $25 injection from the feed store and our whole family is there to mourn their lost family member and say goodbyes. Then the men give a proper burial.

Once civilization catches up to you out there in the outback more of this will make sense to you. A dog is a blessing and an investment. Intelligence should guide you in protecting your friend/investment.

Hey, I understand. A blessing and an investment indeed!

I was more meaning those stations waay out bush (there are also properties the size of Belgium in WA, measured in square kms, not acres/hectares) - where a vet is just too far away to get to, or to call. If a person gets ill or injured you gotta call in the Flying Doctor aircraft. In those circumstances the kindest thing you can do is put the poor dog out of it's misery...it's a horrible choice and one which is forced upon the farmer by necessity

Likewise with the kennels. If they were able to roam free...well you might never know where they'd got to, if they caught the scent of a hare or fox or two! So you have to know where they are when needed...

My cousin's station is only 4000 acres, and that's really quite small compared to many. But big, rambling & hilly enough to lose a dog

Old 01-02-2010, 04:41 PM   #16

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Hey, I understand. A blessing and an investment indeed!

I was more meaning those stations waay out bush (there are also properties the size of Belgium in WA, measured in square kms, not acres/hectares) - where a vet is just too far away to get to, or to call. If a person gets ill or injured you gotta call in the Flying Doctor aircraft. In those circumstances the kindest thing you can do is put the poor dog out of it's misery...it's a horrible choice and one which is forced upon the farmer by necessity.

My cousin's station is only 4000 acres, and that's really quite small compared to many. But big, rambling & hilly enough to lose a dog
I hear ya brother. Little bit different when you don't have the same options for vet care and so on. I've had to put some great ones down myself and it's not easy even when you know its the best for them. Dog's are here for us humans no matter how you look at it.

Old 01-02-2010, 11:19 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Default Cats versus Dogs (and everyone else)

If pets kept diaries...................

Excerpts from a Dog's Diary......

8:00 am - Dog food! My favorite thing!
9:30 am - A car ride! My favorite thing!
9:40 am - A walk in the park! My favorite thing!
10:30 am - Got rubbed and petted! My favorite thing!
12:00 pm - Lunch! My favorite thing!
1:00 pm - Played in the yard! My favorite thing!
3:00 pm - Wagged my tail! My favorite thing!
5:00 pm - Milk Bones! My favorite thing!
7:00 pm - Got to play ball! My favorite thing!
8:00 pm - Wow! Watched TV with the people! My favorite thing!
11:00 pm - Sleeping on the bed! My favorite thing!

Excerpts from a Cat's Daily Diary...

Day 983 of my captivity...

My captors continue to taunt me with bizarre little dangling objects. They dine lavishly on fresh meat, while the other inmates and I are fed hash or some sort of dry nuggets.

Although I make my contempt for the rations perfectly clear, I nevertheless must eat something in order to keep up my strength.

The only thing that keeps me going is my dream of escape. In an attempt to disgust them, I once again vomit on the carpet.

Today I decapitated a mouse and dropped its headless body at their feet. I had hoped this would strike fear into their hearts, since it clearly demonstrates what I am capable of. However, they merely made condescending comments about what a 'good little hunter' I am. Bast**ds.

There was some sort of assembly of their accomplices tonight. I was placed in solitary confinement for the duration of the event. However, I could hear the noises and smell the food. I overheard that my confinement was due to the power of 'allergies.' I must learn what this means and how to use it to my advantage.

Today I was almost successful in an attempt to assassinate one of my tormentors by weaving around his feet as he was walking. I must try this again tomorrow -- but at the top of the stairs.

I am convinced that the other prisoners here are flunkies and snitches. The dog receives special privileges. He is regularly released - and seems to be more than willing to return. He is obviously retarded.

The bird has got to be an informant. I observe him communicating with the guards regularly. I am certain that he reports my every move. My captors have arranged protective custody for him in an elevated cell, so he is safe.... For now.................

TXnorton

Old 01-03-2010, 01:27 AM   #18

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I have and will always provide a means of, and incentive; for escape to any cat living under my roof, generally in the direction of the nearest 4 lane highway!!

People get the government they deserve.

Old 01-03-2010, 06:38 PM   #19

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunerunner View Post
I have and will always provide a means of, and incentive; for escape to any cat living under my roof, generally in the direction of the nearest 4 lane highway!!
Oh lord! Thanks. . . I really needed that. . . been stressing over game day. . . ahhh . . .