Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   My Defense Gun Choice (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/my-defense-gun-choice-25538/)

ninjatoth 04-02-2010 10:24 PM

My Defense Gun Choice

1 Attachment(s)
2 mm Kolibri - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I think that I am going with the 2.7mm Kolibri round as my primary home defense gun.It should stop an attacker without overpenetration,and will also be a good shooter on the range because of my dislike of recoil.It's all about shot placement,so I need to practice alot,and I will be good.Any thoughts on my choice?

skullcrusher 04-02-2010 10:28 PM

A day late for April Fools. 2.7mm=.106299" :rolleyes:

Dillinger 04-02-2010 10:34 PM

Either a very late April Fool's Joke or a flat out troll attempt. From your own link.

Quote:

The round also suffered some accuracy issues, since the technology of the time was incapable of applying rifling to the bore of such a small caliber, resulting in no spin on the bullet

The cartridge (and related firearm series) is now a collector's item, with individual rounds going for over 70 United States dollars. Original guns for this round can sell for $5,000 USD
IF you have one, and I highly doubt you do, the stupidest thing you could do would be to try and fire it. Sell and buy a real sidearm.

JD

spittinfire 04-02-2010 10:54 PM

+1

According to the link you gave us that thing generates 3.3 ft/lbs of energy....need I say more?

Car54 04-02-2010 11:08 PM

Probably a cigarette lighter

RadioActiV 04-02-2010 11:12 PM

Come on man a bb gun would be more deadly for an intruder.

ninjatoth 04-02-2010 11:13 PM

I was researching firearms cartidges when I came across the 2.7mm Kolibri and thought it was a joke.I used to have a co2 .177cal bb pistol that shot a 5 grain bb at 480fps,generating 3 ft lbs also,and my bb gun could hold 19 bbs,so my bb pistol had more firepower than this gun,and it couldn't even kill a squirrel.I think it's funny that it was designed to be for self defense,I doubt it would make it through a spring jacket.

c3shooter 04-02-2010 11:37 PM

Yes, a real gun, not a lighter. At one time, was the smallest center fire cartridge. There IS a magnum version- the 3mm Kolibri. I have one round of the 2.7mm in my collection, but no 3mm. Penetration was rated at 1/2 inch of white pine. Yes, you should be able to tell when your leg is being pulled. ;)

My local smith has a bowl of odds and ends of ammo on the counter. Got tired of listening to folks brag about the biggest, baddest, newest round- so I took a fired .50 BMG round, cut the case off to 2 inches, opened it up just a smidge, and press fitted an empty 12 gram CO2 cartridge in there, and gave it to him to add to the bowl. When someones asks, he tells them that is the 88 Magnum Auto Pistol that one of his customers shoots. :D

cpttango30 04-03-2010 01:13 AM

It would be hard pressed to kill a rat.

I do believe they were made for the gallery type of indoor shooting popular around the time it was invented.

Gojubrian 04-03-2010 01:38 AM

If you are going to use that for defense be sure to put it in a good slingshot first and pull back REAL hard. It would make a better projectile than a launcher.