My dad...
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > My dad...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2012, 03:31 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 158 Times on 111 Posts
Likes Given: 171

Default My dad...

Ok so I asked my dad when he will be getting his foid card, he has to call 2 places and fill out the app again... Anyway it would take under 30 minutes. He keeps putting it off and whenever I remind him he gets angry and says every time I ask he'll wait longer but he's starting to get kinda old (a little, he's 45) but he forgets if I don't remind him. Now he says he would like it if I wait until December to ask him!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's after the election!!!!!!! And he has been telling me he wants a gun as well(he wants to get an sr9) and he said he'd get me a .22 but both Romney and Obama want an assault weapons ban! So looks like he won't be getting his sr9(17+1 capacity) and I would be stuck with 10 round mags. But it depends on when they put this into play. Either way anyone got advice on how I can get my dad to hurry up and get his foid card? Because after the election ammo prices and mag prices will go up.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-19-2012, 03:55 PM   #2

Liked 334 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 260

After the election prices of ammo and firearms will likely go DOWN, just like they did after the last election. You do understand that any ban will takes a few months at the very least and very likely more than a year to go into effect right? Besides, I do not feel that Romney (if elected) will try to push for any type of AWB, he will not want to alienate any of his voters. His primary goal will be to set up a win for a second term. In short, leave your Pops alone and stop pissing him off. As a father I will make my kids wait if they keep bugging me about the same thing over and over.

''I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."
J.B. Books

People Like This 
Old 10-19-2012, 04:00 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9542 Times on 4105 Posts
Likes Given: 1499

45 is old? *insert hysterical laughter here*

Beast, I have KIDS that are older than your Dad!

As the man said, no President has the authority to make law. Changes (if ANY) would come from the Congress at some later time.

Yes, I understand when you are a youngster that everything needs to take place NOW. Take a deep breath, hold it, and let it out slowly.

Do not bug your Dad- there is no way that you will change the time for the better. And as said, price of guns and ammo may well go DOWN when folk are not in a panic buying mode.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

People Like This 
Old 10-19-2012, 04:10 PM   #4

Liked 9206 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

When my kid bugs me, I distract him.

"hey look, a flying unicorn!"

"where?... "

"over there, as far away from the toy aisle as possible"

Old 10-19-2012, 05:03 PM   #5
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 212 Times on 169 Posts
Likes Given: 116

I agree with the other (obvious) parents on this thread. The more you bug, the less attention you actually WILL get.

I truly don't think the the NRA would put their support behind any candidate that would push for any type of weapons ban whatsoever. Plus Romney AND Ryan have been all over the NRA websites and periodicals shaking hands with all the NRA muckity-mucks.

And really, 45...old? I'm 45 and though I have a little knee and shoulder pain, I don't consider myself OLD...

Beretta 84FS .380 ACP
Ruger MKIII 22/45 Target .22LR

PWS (Primary Weapons Systems) MK114 5.56

Old 10-19-2012, 06:41 PM   #6
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3112 Times on 1788 Posts
Likes Given: 1322

I would not push Dad to do anything.

I tried it once, and what I wanted him to do ended up being a possible legal problem from somewhere in his past if he went through with it.

Dad is aware, but may have reasons for dragging his feet.

(and 45 is not old, you will be there sooner than you think.)

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 10-19-2012, 07:07 PM   #7
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7811 Times on 4688 Posts
Likes Given: 9822

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastmode986 View Post
Ok so I asked my dad when he will be getting his foid card, he has to call 2 places and fill out the app again... Anyway it would take under 30 minutes. He keeps putting it off and whenever I remind him he gets angry and says every time I ask he'll wait longer but he's starting to get kinda old (a little, he's 45) but he forgets if I don't remind him. Now he says he would like it if I wait until December to ask him!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's after the election!!!!!!! And he has been telling me he wants a gun as well(he wants to get an sr9) and he said he'd get me a .22 but both Romney and Obama want an assault weapons ban! So looks like he won't be getting his sr9(17+1 capacity) and I would be stuck with 10 round mags. But it depends on when they put this into play. Either way anyone got advice on how I can get my dad to hurry up and get his foid card? Because after the election ammo prices and mag prices will go up.
Leave him alone. He will do what he needs to do when he feels like it. I always got mad at my kids when they told me what to do. I'd always say to them, "How did you think I got along in life before you were here to advise me?" LOL Maybe he has a reason for not working on getting that FOID card now. You mentioned he might be moving, maybe he doesn't want a FOID card anymore. Maybe he's not ready to buy his own gun. Maybe he doesn't feel you're ready for that .22 yet. He's a grown man and will make his own decisions as he sees fit.

Old 10-19-2012, 07:40 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Not to encourage any direct disobedience or family disharmony, but you don't have to be 21 to buy magazines. I live in a free state, but i doubt you would need a FOID either. If you know which .22 you want and know where to get a good deal on a larger magazine, you COULD buy it now. If he gets uptight, express that you have complete faith that he will do the FOID thing over the holidays, and that you will exercise some patience until he has time to do so.

Spending a little (don't go nuts) of your money first, and expressing a willingness to be patient, MIGHT motivate the man.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 10-20-2012, 02:40 AM   #9

Location: 2,000 miles Northwest of Bill's Laundromat, Bar & Grill, CA
Liked 538 Times on 379 Posts
Likes Given: 273

I would save your money until you have enough for a 10/22, then tell him you can afford to buy one yourself. That may push him to do the FOID card. If he says no, then you can put that money in a good mutual fund, and start saving for a car.

-Matt

Old 10-20-2012, 04:40 AM   #10

Liked 9206 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Or just sneak down here, I'll get you the .22, hire you a hooker, get you stoned and drunk, and we'll go cow tipping...
By the way, did you hear I found one for you? I ended up sitting between her and her pimp at a waffle house. She's like at least 7 feet tall, and her pimp is a dwarf. You don't mind tall women, or funny little people do you?