My backyard friends - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > My backyard friends

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2009, 07:44 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 18 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jng2985 View Post
it is fun playing god isn't it? lol
I've never seen hunting as playing God. I don't even like the reference, but hey, to each their own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 05-27-2009, 07:52 PM   #12

lol it was a classic age old joke. If that is the mind frame you go in with you have flawed responsibility's.

but not to jack the thread, again awesome picture and i wish i had views like that.

Old 05-27-2009, 10:32 PM   #13

I got a herd of deer like that on my property in Hallettsville. Also there are a lot of stray cats that hang out and some raccoons come up to eat. The 'coons are getting really fat from eating all the scraps we throw out back. I'll see if I can get some of the pictures my grandpa took. There's one where a raccoon opened the sliding screen door and stuck his body halfway in so he could eat some cat food. The armadillos are kinda running thin but they could make a comeback soon. I saw a new species that I had never seen in that area. It was a mexican eagle and they are cool as hell. Wildlife is awesome.

Old 05-27-2009, 11:16 PM   #14

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Some nice animals showing up there! I have a few rabbits that show up and eat the crap in the garden and a few tree rats that like to plant/eat and drive the old dog Grits crazy. Soon as season comes in I will be having a Wabbit and Wat stew!

Old 05-28-2009, 01:29 PM   #15
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 3262 Times on 1686 Posts
Likes Given: 337

Mexican eagle- Caracara. We have a small colony in eastern Travis County. Up to about 5-6 birds in the farming areas east of Austin. They are kind of cool looking.

Playing God? That is rather judgemental coming from a member of a firearm forum, don't you think? If harvesting wildlife for food is "playing God" then I suppose your firearms would never, ever be used to defend yourself from attack. Killing another human being would be the ultimate expression of "playing God".

Not that I would begrudge your right of non-self defense, but seriously? Playing God? I suppose it is OK for someone else to play God and slaughter the cow so you can eat the steak? Unless you are a strict vegan, I don't think you have any room to criticize others.

Old 05-28-2009, 01:35 PM   #16

Liked 38 Times on 32 Posts

I got a buddy just down the road from me who has a feeder set up year round (Until Deer season) and he has a couple of trail cams he has some nice deer and some big ole fat coons that like corn.

Not sure about the playing god thing. I normally just sting the squirrels in the hind end with the sons red ryder. It is amazing how inaccurate that thing is.

Last edited by cpttango30; 05-28-2009 at 01:38 PM.

Old 05-28-2009, 02:51 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 71 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Deadly Trained Attack Cat...
belly-rub.jpg  

Old 05-28-2009, 02:54 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 71 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Max the Yard Guard..
max-table.jpg  

Old 05-28-2009, 03:40 PM   #19

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts

I've been told this is a Coopers Hawk. It nests in the trees in front of our house. There have been several groups of offspring born over the last few years. Great to see that in the middle of Los Angeles this Great looking bird of prey can thrive.
100_0075.jpg  

Old 05-28-2009, 05:04 PM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5738 Times on 3362 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Got to watch a hawk take out an annoying bluejay in the backyard the other day; then he ate the noisy thing while sitting on a branch in the yard. Hawks are messy eaters; kinda like a no-hands pie-eating contest for guts.

I look forward to killing some jaywalkers/deer for my meat-eating buddies next winter. I may not eat them, but i sure won't made making them dead.