Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   My Afternoon (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/my-afternoon-34568/)

AusLach 11-20-2010 10:15 AM

My Afternoon

4 Attachment(s)
This thread is half range report, half bragging that I finally got to get some trigger time... I went for a walk along the creek this afternoon but the only thing I saw was a lone duck. The little bastard seemed to know I wouldn't shoot him on the water so he sat tight, even after I threw rocks at him lol.

So after my bad luck I convinced my Dad to break some clays with me.. We got through about 60 clays and only used three boxes of shells (75), not bad shooting with a field gun. It does get pretty tiring after a while though and I've got a bit of a burn on my shoulder from the kickpad and a sore eye from the jamming my face into the stock to get a proper sight picture. After we ran out of clays we decided to clean the rifles and put a few rounds through the .17. We set up a few beer cans and milk bottles full of water and tried to capture the carnage in some photos. I managed to get a few good pix of exploding targets but here's the best one..
Attachment 21837
The target was the milk bottle, which was decimated after the shot..

After this we had a small freehand competition to see who was the best shot (a highly coveted honour!). Our target was a 2'x2' square removal box at about fifty yards. Attachment 21840

Dad said that he'd place 5 shots into the bottle of wine on the right. He put three into it, dropped one low and put one into the bottle on the left. Not too bad, and the pressure was on.
Attachment 21839

I told him I'd put five into the wine glass, and didn't do too badly either. I put four shots into three holes at the bottom of the glass and one into the top right of the glass.. I didn't beat him as he put more shots into his selected target, but he did concede that I definitely had the best group.
Attachment 21838

It was a great afternoon with the old man and he bought me a beer tonight at the pub as a reward for beating him in our competition. I hope that I'll be able to do the same with the sons that I hope to have some day.. Hoefully I'll have as much fun with them as what I had this afternoon with my Dad.

winds-of-change 11-20-2010 10:32 AM

Sounds like great fun and it looks like some excellent shooting. Your garden is beautiful!! I'm glad you had a good time with your Dad.

M14sRock 11-20-2010 02:16 PM

Great fun!!! Your "backstop" is the prettiest I've ever seen.

dunerunner 11-20-2010 03:19 PM

Beautiful country! Sounds like good fun Aus!!

CA357 11-20-2010 04:16 PM

That sounds like a great day. The time well spent with your father is worth more than the shooting could ever be. Shooting together is just icing on the cake. Pretty scenery too.

skullcrusher 11-20-2010 04:19 PM

Most excellent, mate. Good times and great pics. :)

Davyboy 11-20-2010 05:10 PM

Would give an arm and a leg to be able to spend some shooting time with my late father. Treasure these moments they are special and let him win now and again :rolleyes:

AusLach 11-20-2010 07:45 PM

Update of sorts... I woke up this morning and Dad seemed very elusive towards me, I just found out the reason and can't stop laughing: he's got a black eye from the shotgun yesterday! :D Although an awful lot of fun, field guns just aren't made for lots of shots in a small timeframe lol..

It has done one good thing though, it's got him thinking about buying a trap gun *rubbing hands together manically* ;):p

zhuk 11-22-2010 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AusLach (Post 389285)
This thread is half range report, half bragging that I finally got to get some trigger time... I went for a walk along the creek this afternoon but the only thing I saw was a lone duck. The little bastard seemed to know I wouldn't shoot him on the water so he sat tight, even after I threw rocks at him lol.

So after my bad luck I convinced my Dad to break some clays with me.. We got through about 60 clays and only used three boxes of shells (75), not bad shooting with a field gun. It does get pretty tiring after a while though and I've got a bit of a burn on my shoulder from the kickpad and a sore eye from the jamming my face into the stock to get a proper sight picture. After we ran out of clays we decided to clean the rifles and put a few rounds through the .17. We set up a few beer cans and milk bottles full of water and tried to capture the carnage in some photos. I managed to get a few good pix of exploding targets but here's the best one..
Attachment 21837
The target was the milk bottle, which was decimated after the shot..

After this we had a small freehand competition to see who was the best shot (a highly coveted honour!). Our target was a 2'x2' square removal box at about fifty yards. Attachment 21840

Dad said that he'd place 5 shots into the bottle of wine on the right. He put three into it, dropped one low and put one into the bottle on the left. Not too bad, and the pressure was on.
Attachment 21839

I told him I'd put five into the wine glass, and didn't do too badly either. I put four shots into three holes at the bottom of the glass and one into the top right of the glass.. I didn't beat him as he put more shots into his selected target, but he did concede that I definitely had the best group.
Attachment 21838

It was a great afternoon with the old man and he bought me a beer tonight at the pub as a reward for beating him in our competition. I hope that I'll be able to do the same with the sons that I hope to have some day.. Hoefully I'll have as much fun with them as what I had this afternoon with my Dad.

Way to go Aus you finally got some gun-time, yes! Nice shooting :) (yeah your group was better, heh)

Quote:

The little bastard seemed to know I wouldn't shoot him on the water so he sat tight, even after I threw rocks at him lol.
Ha classic lol

Must be cool to set up some impromptu targets (or milk bottles) and just go for it, wish I could do that! Awesome too that you got to spend quality time with your Dad...and I like the "gentle suggestion" that a trap gun is extremely necessary now, hint :D

really happy for ya mate. Hope you get to do some hunting very soon ;)

lonyaeger 11-22-2010 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AusLach (Post 389446)
Update of sorts... I woke up this morning and Dad seemed very elusive towards me, I just found out the reason and can't stop laughing: he's got a black eye from the shotgun yesterday! :D Although an awful lot of fun, field guns just aren't made for lots of shots in a small timeframe lol..

It has done one good thing though, it's got him thinking about buying a trap gun *rubbing hands together manically* ;):p

Just don't tease him too much about it.....after all, he's your Dad! ;)