Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Muscle Cars, those we have had, and those we wished we could have had!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2014, 09:33 PM   #281
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 317 Times on 194 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinderocka1989 View Post
I'm sure you're right. Antique or classic and I think some places have a collector plate. A lot of those are old enough to be exempt from emissions testing anyway.
here in ND, antique/classic plates are a one time fee of $100 for a vanity plate, or a one time fee of $10 for the standard antique plate. only requirement is the vehicle must be at least 40 years old.

All I've had today is like 6 gummi bears & some scotch

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 05-25-2014, 10:09 PM   #282
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19823 Times on 11256 Posts
Likes Given: 49966

Quote:
Originally Posted by donthav1 View Post
here in ND, antique/classic plates are a one time fee of $100 for a vanity plate, or a one time fee of $10 for the standard antique plate. only requirement is the vehicle must be at least 40 years old.
IIRC, here in Texas, you can apply for antique plates if the vehicle is 25 years or older.

Old 05-26-2014, 04:27 AM   #283
F4U
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 914 Times on 545 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
IIRC, here in Texas, you can apply for antique plates if the vehicle is 25 years or older.
I think 25 years is the law here in Ohio too. But if you can find a set of plates from the model year of your antique vehicle you can use them instead of historical plates. After getting them approved by the DMV.
Old 05-26-2014, 11:02 PM   #284
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1488 Times on 912 Posts
Likes Given: 7328

Quote:
one of my father's cars i used occasionally, was a 1960 Thunderbird. had a very stoutly built 390, that had 13 to 1 pistons, a very radical camshaft, a huge four barrel that could swallow large birds if they got too close! i think Dad estimated the fuel mileage once at about 6-8 mpg!
That had to be a fun ride.

i laugh about the number of folks saying that good gas mileage is a reason to buy a new ________. When I had my 73 F-250, it got 8 MPG with my foot in the 4-BBL, 11 MPG loaded, and 12.5 MPG empty. With those numbers, it was easy to figure out gas usage whem planning a job or a trip with that truck due to the loaded and empty MPG being so close to each other.

Now, when i use my 92 F-150, it gets 19.5, empty\no trailer, and about 12.5 loaded\with trailer running flat lands. Kind of a PITA when planning a haul of 300 miles total where part of it is in the mountains. I miss my older, consistently crappy mileage truck.

I am also a firm believer in the following. If you have to ask what kind of fuel mileage it gets, walk away. You won't be able to afford it.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem parabellum.

To those who wish to take away our Second Amendment rights. What will you do when we, all 100,000,000 of us, stand as one, and say no?

People Like This 
Old 05-27-2014, 12:44 AM   #285
Civil Disobedience-wherever there is authority, there is a natural inclination to disobedience. Oppression breeds Rebellion
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2994 Times on 1671 Posts
Likes Given: 128

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfox75 View Post
That had to be a fun ride.

i laugh about the number of folks saying that good gas mileage is a reason to buy a new ________. When I had my 73 F-250, it got 8 MPG with my foot in the 4-BBL, 11 MPG loaded, and 12.5 MPG empty. With those numbers, it was easy to figure out gas usage whem planning a job or a trip with that truck due to the loaded and empty MPG being so close to each other.

Now, when i use my 92 F-150, it gets 19.5, empty\no trailer, and about 12.5 loaded\with trailer running flat lands. Kind of a PITA when planning a haul of 300 miles total where part of it is in the mountains. I miss my older, consistently crappy mileage truck.

I am also a firm believer in the following. If you have to ask what kind of fuel mileage it gets, walk away. You won't be able to afford it.
I know how to solve your fuel economy dilemma....

nosparkplugs1.png

3 gallons of crazy in a 2 gallon bucket

Know your limits; exceed them often

That which does not kill me had better run pretty damn fast.

Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

People Like This 
Old 05-27-2014, 02:29 AM   #286
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1488 Times on 912 Posts
Likes Given: 7328

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinderocka1989 View Post
I know how to solve your fuel economy dilemma....

Attachment 144462
Funny part is, I just posted that after we get settled in Erie, i am going truck shopping, and that I will be looking for an extended cab diesel.

trust me Cinder, I too believe that real trucks don't have spark plugs.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem parabellum.

To those who wish to take away our Second Amendment rights. What will you do when we, all 100,000,000 of us, stand as one, and say no?

Old 05-29-2014, 07:30 PM   #287
Weapons Aficianado
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4396 Times on 1483 Posts
Likes Given: 1356

Default 2015 Challenger Hellcat

This one gets my attention but I feel it will be way out of my price range and I doubt the Shelby GT500 will tremble in fear like the first paragraph states.

http://www.topspeed.com/cars/dodge/2015-dodge-challenger-srt-hellcat-ar161904.html

NSDQ

Old 05-29-2014, 08:11 PM   #288
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 758 Times on 465 Posts
Likes Given: 156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threetango View Post
This one gets my attention but I feel it will be way out of my price range and I doubt the Shelby GT500 will tremble in fear like the first paragraph states.

http://www.topspeed.com/cars/dodge/2015-dodge-challenger-srt-hellcat-ar161904.html
IDK, reported HP should make shelby tremble. Mustang would be a bit lighter.

Rumored costs are UGLY, and that's not including my most hated fee, dealer bonus money.

Old 05-29-2014, 10:45 PM   #289
Weapons Aficianado
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4396 Times on 1483 Posts
Likes Given: 1356

Quote:
Originally Posted by partdeux View Post
IDK, reported HP should make shelby tremble. Mustang would be a bit lighter.

Rumored costs are UGLY, and that's not including my most hated fee, dealer bonus money.
I hear you.
The Hellcat will weigh a chubby 4,439 lbs to the Shelby GT500's 3980, more than a bit lighter to me and I will believe it when I see the Hellcat with more than the 662 hp 631 torque of the GT500 but that is a question mark at this time.
In the 1/4 mile the unknown torque management is the wild card for the Hellcat.
Specs and price are due in the summer but I'm guessing $70 to $75 K with an iron clad don't mess with the motor warranty.

We shall see.

NSDQ

Old 05-31-2014, 02:22 AM   #290

Liked 221 Times on 155 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
another one of my favorites were the "sleeper" cars. those that were either built at the factory or put together by someone wanting something less than flashy. "sleeper" cars are the ones that look very innocent on the outside, but pack serious power under the hood. the ones if you passed by it sitting in a parking lot wouldn't even register a second look. palin jane almost grandma looking cars. they are actually quite fun to build too and i have built a few in the past. you put all the parts and effort into the drivetrain, suspension and brakes. no flashy paintjobs, no fancy rims, no spoilers or decals, no scoops or stripes!
I read about a Jeep Wagoneer with a Ferrari engine that was part of the Harrah's collection until Harrah died and it was sold at auction because it lacked collector value .

Steve McQueen was reported in the newspaper to own a VW bug with a Porsche engine . They said he liked to go zooming past a powerful car tooting the horn . Edit : Oops, now that I think about it, it may have been Paul Newman !

One guy took the " V-6 " emblem off of his Honda Accord 4-door to add to the surprise when he blew past slowpokes .

Last edited by Rentacop; 05-31-2014 at 03:12 AM.