Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Muscle Car Trivia and thanks Hoss.!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2013, 12:19 PM   #221
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 121 Times on 88 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post

lots of people that fool around with Fords and Chevrolets are involved, Mopar guys SHOULD BE committed!

fixed that for you.

Guess it's the price I pay to be unique! haha. Seriously when I go to a car show...if there's 500 cars of all makes, models, years...I'll see probably 50 first gen camaros, 20 early Mustangs, a handful of Chevelles and Novas, a plethora of corvettes of all years...even the showroom stock, brand new, just bought it last week ones... and then I'll see 5 Mopars. maybe 1 road runner, there's always a General Lee clone, an E-body, and a few A-bodies.

I like it that way, because frankly...the more common a car is, the more I see of it, the more boring it gets. "ho hum, another red camaro...seen one, seen 'em all....NEXT!" but...I do envy the low prices on some of that stuff...especially the performance parts! you can buy a 400+ hp GM crate motor for like...$1800 since there's so many of them out there--cheaper by the dozen! but a small block Mopar will cost double for a measely 400 hp.
Old 03-12-2013, 12:27 PM   #222

Liked 114 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 111

Quote:
Originally Posted by dango View Post
Torino..? Sleeper..? I had a GT that would not awaken..! Eeeck..!

All noise , but NO GO..! ..?
You musta had a 289 version...

Old 03-12-2013, 12:30 PM   #223

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70cuda383 View Post
fixed that for you.

Guess it's the price I pay to be unique! haha. Seriously when I go to a car show...if there's 500 cars of all makes, models, years...I'll see probably 50 first gen camaros, 20 early Mustangs, a handful of Chevelles and Novas, a plethora of corvettes of all years...even the showroom stock, brand new, just bought it last week ones... and then I'll see 5 Mopars. maybe 1 road runner, there's always a General Lee clone, an E-body, and a few A-bodies.

I like it that way, because frankly...the more common a car is, the more I see of it, the more boring it gets. "ho hum, another red camaro...seen one, seen 'em all....NEXT!" but...I do envy the low prices on some of that stuff...especially the performance parts! you can buy a 400+ hp GM crate motor for like...$1800 since there's so many of them out there--cheaper by the dozen! but a small block Mopar will cost double for a measely 400 hp.
Cuda,
If you actually have a Cuda (your name and all...), Congratulations! Nice car!

Old 03-12-2013, 02:56 PM   #224

Liked 2350 Times on 1528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dango
Torino..? Sleeper..? I had a GT that would not awaken..! Eeeck..!

All noise , but NO GO..! ..?
My dad has a 69 gt convertible he has been tinkering with for years. Red with white guts and top. 351 Windsor has been rebuilt to stock specs (355lbs torque, 250hp) with its 2bbl carb. I sooooo wanted him to put a 4bbl carb on, but he wanted to keep it original. It will spin em when you want em to.

He has the paint done, engine and tranny rebuilt, and a new top. He has all the interior parts, dash, carpet, etc. to do yet. I'm ready to take it for a drive.

Feral cat waterboarder

Old 03-12-2013, 03:37 PM   #225

Liked 692 Times on 459 Posts
Likes Given: 712

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70cuda383 View Post
fixed that for you.

How is anything MOPAR unique?? (Ok, maybe something like my Rampage )

At least people know what MOPARS are... I always got to put up with "Is that a Ford or Chevy International?

Expensive Performance parts? HA! I dont think they even make "performance" parts for IH's....

Old 03-13-2013, 01:52 AM   #226

Liked 121 Times on 88 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colby View Post
Cuda,
If you actually have a Cuda (your name and all...), Congratulations! Nice car!
I do, but it's a long way from being nice!!

I thought I posted that already in this thread...maybe it was a different pic.

it was my daily driver when I was in "college" (most people don't really think of a military academy when they think of college) 1970, 383 car, kinda like my username implies... first forum I joined up on was for Mopars, and I picked a name accordingly...and have used the same name on every forum thereafter. once I get over the hurdle of metal work, and get the body into paint...it'll go together quickly. I already have the motor for it built, but will freshen it up before it goes back in. currently it's a 505hp/535 tq motor, but will be looking for 550-575 crank hp when it goes back in. it'll have modern suspension upgrades, and of course big brakes. I have a thing for big giant rotors and huge, multiple piston calipers...I took the front brakes off of a gen 2 dodge viper (2 of them actually) and put them on all 4 corners of my Dakota. my Cuda will be similar...may step up to the 6-piston calipers like you'll find on the Caddy CTS-V, vette ZR1, Porsche GT3, etc.

(here's the calipers I put on my truck, after I painted them)

I kinda like the looks of these though!!!

6-piston calipers!
Old 03-13-2013, 04:35 AM   #227
F4U
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 915 Times on 546 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by primer1 View Post
My dad has a 69 gt convertible he has been tinkering with for years. Red with white guts and top. 351 Windsor has been rebuilt to stock specs (355lbs torque, 250hp) with its 2bbl carb. I sooooo wanted him to put a 4bbl carb on, but he wanted to keep it original. It will spin em when you want em to.

He has the paint done, engine and tranny rebuilt, and a new top. He has all the interior parts, dash, carpet, etc. to do yet. I'm ready to take it for a drive.
I have a '69 torino gt fastback with a 351 windsor and what appears to be a factory 4 barrel. A guy I used to work with said they didn't build many of these engines just enough to qualify for some racing series or other, I haven't researched it myself though. He wasn't trying to buy it or sell it so he had no reason to lie but I don't know if his info is true or not.

You gotta love a car with trunk that will sleep 4 though!!!

Old 03-13-2013, 12:02 PM   #228
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19846 Times on 11269 Posts
Likes Given: 50022

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4U View Post
I have a '69 torino gt fastback with a 351 windsor and what appears to be a factory 4 barrel. A guy I used to work with said they didn't build many of these engines just enough to qualify for some racing series or other, I haven't researched it myself though. He wasn't trying to buy it or sell it so he had no reason to lie but I don't know if his info is true or not.

You gotta love a car with trunk that will sleep 4 though!!!
the 351 Windsor was just a larger version cubic inch wise of the 289 and the 302. simply they used the Windsor name to seperate it from their other 351 engines.

Old 03-14-2013, 07:36 AM   #229

Don't mean to undermine the poster's feelings about his car and engine, but the 351 4-barrel Windsor (69) was common - not rare - or a race version. I own one.

1969 was the first year for the 351. It was a longer stroke version of the 289 and 302. It was produced in Windsor Canada - which is where the name came from. But the other small blocks (289, 302) were built there, too.
Then came the Cleveland 351 - phasing in in 1970. Built in Cleveland. So the name.
The Cleveland 351 had larger intake valves - making it breathe better at high RPM's than the Windsor. But the Windsor's smaller valves (they were still larger than a 302 valves) made it a much better street engine. It was more responsive. The smaller valves created higher air flow (when compared to the Cleveland) - which mixed the fuel better - at lower speeds. The Cleveland - with it's larger valves - had poorer flow and mixing - at lower (common street RPM's).

Gets to be involved... but the Windsor was a good engine. They are both long stroke engines (same basic block architecture - mostly head differences) - which are traditionally and functionally high torque at lower speed engines. And not so good at high RPM's. So the Cleveland's bigger valves kind of defeated what the 351 block architecture was good at - and tried to give better performance at high rpm's - which long stroke engines (which the Cleveland is) are not so good at. So --- it was kind of a bunch of give and take - trial and error...

All this was usually viewed in terms of Chevy's small blocks - the 265, 283, 327, 202, 350 family. They were short stroke engines (larger pistons). That type engine is not a high torque at lower speed engine. They do well winding out to high RPM's. Kind of the opposite of the Ford small blocks.

Lots of stuff... more than you want to know...

The 69 351 2-barrel produced 250 horsepower.
The 69 351 4- barrel produced 290 horsepower.

Old 03-14-2013, 10:44 PM   #230
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19846 Times on 11269 Posts
Likes Given: 50022

Ford had three different engines that were 351 CID. the 351 Windsor which was a larger variation of the 289 and the 302. the 351 Cleveland, which was a newer engine to bridge the gap in between the 351 Windsor and the FE series of engines for the larger cars and smaller trucks. then there is the 351M which many call the the "Modified" it and the 400M were taller deck hieght of the Cleveland block with Windsor cranks and taller pistons. thus the reason some called them hybrid engines or modifieds. these were brought about to to replace the FE series and to bridge the gap for the larger cars and smaller trucks, as they phased out the FE series and Ford needed a mid sized engine that was larger and had more torgue than the Windsor series of engines.