Much needed venting..

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Much needed venting..

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2012, 06:25 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Much needed venting..

I apologize for bringing my personal matters here, but i have nowhere to turn to at the moment. I also have seen many others bring up the topic of family issues here with some great support from fellow members.

Now, I know that most of us do not know each other much outside of the forum, But for some reason.. Everyone seems to really get behind eachother here. I thought this may be the place for me to get some things off of my chest.

My story begins about 7-8 years ago. I was heading down the wrong path. A horrible relationship, Couldnt hold a job, Drugs, Drinking, etc...

The only thing good that had come out of all of this, was my beautiful son. Many of you have seen me write about my son many times before and have gotten a bit of insight on my love for him. He is the reason i got my life together. Unfortunately i didnt get on my feet until he was almost 2 years old. His mother and I had separated, I cleaned up my act, quit doing drugs (6 years sober), went back to school and started a good career. During all of this, I was homeless. I slept on friends couches, in cars.. anywhere i could lay my head. Rather then dragging my son through all of that crap, I asked my mother to take care of him until i was stable. I never left him, i spent every possible moment with him. My parents would not allow me to stay with him in their house because my father felt that i "needed to be a man and take care of myself first". Sure, it was a real jerk thing to do, but im glad he did because i would not be the man I am today.

Since I needed a place for my boy to stay, i granted my mother "temporary primary guardianship", so that she may make decisions, doctors appointments, health benefits,etc..

Flash forward a few years...
At this point i am now cleaned up, steady working, good woman, good job. I decide to move out of Philadelphia and into a nice quiet suburban neighborhood. I take a new job working nights, So does my wife. It was the best option for us both and the most money. My son was attending a private school in the city, rather then take him out in the middle of the school year, I once again ask my mother if she can let my son stay with her until the end of the school year and the wife and i can get our work schedules situated around his schooling.

Every Friday i would pick him up to come spend the weekend and then drive him back on Sunday.

2 weeks ago, School year ends and its time for him to come back with me... Here is where the problems come in.

I go to bring my son back with me, My mother will not give him back to me..
She is holding this 6 year old court document above my head saying SHE has "custody of him". I never went back to court to have this order changed because i thought to myself "its my mother, why do i need to do that?".

The last time i have seen/spoke to my son was 2 weeks ago on his final day of school.. Ironic? My phone calls are being ignored, text messages unanswered and i have been told by my sister that she was informed if i go to the house, my mother will call the police and tell them i was trying to kidnap my own son.

I went to file an "emergency custody hearing" and the best they can do for me is September 19th.

Rewind 30 years:
I have an older Brother that passed away at the age of 2.

Present day:
My son Looks identical to my brother.

I have this strong feeling that my mother is using my son to try and fill the void from the loss of my brother. There is no other explanation to this situation. My entire family and friends are behind me 100% and they cannot believe what is going on. I cannot believe what is going on.

My head is spinning, my stomach is twisting. I have to continue to go through my day and act normal as if nothing has happened, Trying not to explode and let my emotions show while im at work and keep my brain focused.

Ive screamed, Ive cried, Ive laughed in disbelief. I cannot keep it inside anymore.

How do i keep this bottled inside of me? There is absolutely NOTHING i can do!

I know that when i return to court, everything is in my favor but what the hell am i supposed to do until them? how can i sit here for 2 goddamn months and keep my head? 2 weeks and i already want to go on a rampage.

How can my own mother do this to me? my flesh and blood. The very first person i learned to love and trust in my life has stabbed me in the back and treated me with more cruelty then any enemy has ever done.

once again, I apologize for bringing this here.I am not looking for guilt or pity. i dont expect anything for any of you.. I just thought that getting some of this out in the open may help relieve some tension in my head. I could continue writing for hours. I used to write in a journal, but when there is nobody to read it.. it just doesnt seem to help. It feels the same as keeping in locked inside.

Si vis pacem, Para Bellum.
"If you want peace, Prepare for war"

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-01-2012, 06:47 AM   #2

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Do what you've just done mon ami-make us your outlet. That's a low blow for your mother to do to you. Keep your head up and keep us posted. Idk what to tell you to do bc iv never been in that kind of situation.

Old 07-01-2012, 06:51 AM   #3

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 18

All I can say is pray and have faith God will bring him back to you

Old 07-01-2012, 06:58 AM   #4
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21997 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Urban, cool your heels, take a deep breath and calm down. first of all, sad your own mother is, in a sense holding your son hostage. second, you will do the situation no good, especially for yourself by getting upset and out of sorts over it. third, the courts move slowly at times and it seems as though they are doing nothing. see about getting an attorney to look into the matter and let him handle it for you. they are much more experianced in these matters and know who to push, to get results. it will work out to your favor, but have patience, it takes time for the courts to put things into motion.

for a person to reveal such details about their life and to turn his life around speaks volumes. means you're human and made mistakes just as all of have. takes courage to pull yourself up from the bottom and start over and to kick bad habits when you realize there are much more important things in life, like your own child. congrats on changing the path you were on and turning down a different direction. and others will see the sacrifice you made and that being a responsible father and putting your childs needs ahead of your own will only help your cause. it will work out, but just will take some time. just hang in there and keep the faith.

Old 07-01-2012, 07:04 AM   #5

Liked 69 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 37

I am really horrible at giving advice..

But hang in there man. Things will work out. You and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Everybody needs a little Devastation!

Old 07-01-2012, 07:23 AM   #6

Liked 1098 Times on 658 Posts
Likes Given: 55

I'm sorry for what has happened to you. Make sure to get a good attorney because since your mom has done this to you she will probably try to use your past against. IMHO. Unfortunately you will have to play hard ball with her because if she is using your agreement you made with her she will use everything against you. I'm sorry I do have to say one thing not about your situation, but with people saying "god" will help. If there is a "god" would he really have done this in the first place. What he needs are the people that love him in real life. Here's a saying my wife got from facebook which really is true. You need to stay strong and sane through all of this!!!

image-1859812216.jpg

Old 07-01-2012, 07:55 AM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thank you all for your thoughts.
Unfortunately, an attorney is out of the question. I do not have the funds for that right now. I am hoping I wont need an attorney with all of the support I have from family and friends. The court is going to allow testimony from anyone that I wish to subpoena. As of right now, I have about 6 people willing to do so on my behalf. 4 of them being blood relatives.

As for the detailed sharing of my life... I have learned to not be ashamed of who I was or who i am. I am rather proud of my past (in a sense). It is proof of the man ive become today by overcoming the obstacles my life has endured. I'm sure there are other whom may have suffered under more severe situations, but for my own actions and choices.. I am proud.

I am trying to keep as calm as I possibly can. It is extremely difficult and I understand how it can affect my situation. So far, I feel ive done a decent job of keeping it together. This last month has just been complete hell on my family, not just with this situation. I am honestly amazed with myself on how I am dealing with it. 10 years ago, I'd have kicked in her front door without even thinking of the consequences.

Old 07-01-2012, 08:20 AM   #8

Liked 776 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 492

Courts move slowly but legally your primary parental rights should outweigh a temporary custody agreement that you entered into voluntarily. Contact the local Department of Human Services in your county. They may be able to enforce a restraining order or a writ against your mother to turn over your son, at a minimum as an advocate for your son they will provide the legal suport you need. You should focus now on getting your son back ASAP and worry about the legal paperwork later. Unfortunately, anything you do is going to permanently damage your relationship with your mother...****ty deal all around.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 07-01-2012, 08:28 AM   #9

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpyle
Courts move slowly but legally your primary parental rights should outweigh a temporary custody agreement that you entered into voluntarily. Contact the local Department of Human Services in your county. They may be able to enforce a restraining order or a writ against your mother to turn over your son, at a minimum as an advocate for your son they will provide the legal suport you need. You should focus now on getting your son back ASAP and worry about the legal paperwork later. Unfortunately, anything you do is going to permanently damage your relationship with your mother...****ty deal all around.
At this point.. there is no relationship with her. Theres a thin line that has been crossed and theres no coming back from that. As far as I am concerned.. its a one way street.

I can try and contact the local DHS, but I now live in a different county. I'm not sure if that will make any difference. I was never aware the court could appoint legal assistance in family related cases. I will look into that first thing Monday morning.

Old 07-01-2012, 08:31 AM   #10

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanNinja

At this point.. there is no relationship with her. Theres a thin line that has been crossed and theres no coming back from that. As far as I am concerned.. its a one way street.

I can try and contact the local DHS, but I now live in a different county. I'm not sure if that will make any difference. I was never aware the court could appoint legal assistance in family related cases. I will look into that first thing Monday morning.
Good luck w that Urban