Mre - Page 4
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Mre

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2014, 09:00 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 186 Times on 113 Posts
Likes Given: 148

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
i have a couple of P38's in BOB's!
Side note..... In the Marines ,P38's, are called John Waynes. I still have my PI boot camp J W from 1980...
People Like This 
Old 03-23-2014, 11:02 AM   #32

Liked 1624 Times on 871 Posts
Likes Given: 2638

A couple of pic for the uninitiated, these were sometimes referred to as the U.S. Army's greatest invention, lol:
p38-01.jpg   sam_3574.jpg  
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 03-23-2014, 11:05 AM   #33
Still learning
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 596 Times on 358 Posts
Likes Given: 3113

MRE's are a lot better than the old C-rations for sure! About the only thing worth eating from the old C-rations were the cigarettes and the gum, better known as chicklets.

Last edited by Airborne1; 03-23-2014 at 11:08 AM.

Old 03-23-2014, 11:07 AM   #34
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3863 Times on 2306 Posts
Likes Given: 3233

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborne1 View Post
MRE's are a lot better than the old C-rations for sure! About the only thing worth eating from the old C-rations were the cigarettes and the gum.
You did not like the Hershey bar? LOL

Old 03-23-2014, 11:09 AM   #35
Still learning
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 596 Times on 358 Posts
Likes Given: 3113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagermeister View Post
You did not like the Hershey bar? LOL
Sure I did, when you could find one.
Jagermeister Likes This 
Old 03-23-2014, 11:11 AM   #36

Liked 1624 Times on 871 Posts
Likes Given: 2638

The powers that be were just phasing out C-Rats when I enlisted in July of '83. I can remember chowing down on some at a rifle range in Ft. Sill, OK. Back on topic, one of my favs in the MREs was the Chicken ala King. We didn't have heaters in ours. If you didn't have a pot belly or yukon stove close by, you were S.O.L. on a heated meal.

Old 03-23-2014, 11:17 AM   #37
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7789 Times on 3987 Posts
Likes Given: 8874

My first few years in we had c's, some were OK, others not so good. Not a fan of the beans and Baby dinks or the splatghetti but learned to like the John Wayne Cookies, Green Eggs and Ham, Ham Slices and Beef slices. The Germans loved them so when we could we would trade for real food!

The MRE's have had some hits and misses through the years but I do think they are much better overall than the C's. They do plug that which shouldnt be restricted, first few days you just save up the bung wipe until you reach critical mass then use about 5 packs at once! This too will pass! For a couple years, we had to watch out for the cheese ooze, some of it was really toxic, you could tell when you opened it, smelled like Hogans Dead and Rotting Goat!

Anyone ever have the Tray Packs? I truly hated them, made our cooks into water boilers and they couldnt doll them up to make them any better than they started! First year of them they had all kinds of different labels on the cans but everyone we opened was SOS, that sucked bad, can says Lasagna, inside was SOS. Even worse, the only 2 Hot A's we had laid on for 2 weeks that were supposed to be scratch meals were also SOS! Nearly had a riot in the brigade, cooks were hiding!
People Like This 
Old 03-23-2014, 12:24 PM   #38

Liked 2103 Times on 1157 Posts
Likes Given: 1383

This brings back a lot of memories. I liked MREs when I was in the Army. But I was 17 when I enlisted. I thought they were about like the stuff my mom cooked. Funny thing is my wife is a great cook. I mean really great. I run a restaurant. And I would let her fill in if she wanted to. But now after 18 years of marriage I hate going over to my mother's house for dinner. I realize after all this time my Mom is a horrible cook.

I have not eaten an MRE in about 28 years. So I still remember them as tasty. I will not eat one now and ruin the memory.
Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.
People Like This 
Old 03-23-2014, 02:13 PM   #39

Liked 1330 Times on 890 Posts
Likes Given: 856

Quote:
High carb, high sugar, high sodium. They are NOT meant for long-term survival regardless what the people selling them by the pallet tell you. If you bunker in, freeze dried foods are a good way to stretch your canned foods and use for short jaunts away from the house. Also, these are good to keep in your vehicle for emergencies. 3-6 months of freeze dried supplemented by 6 months of canned food is an economical way to get through the roughest part of an SHTF event without taking up your entire garage in storage space.
Yeah, that's what I was talking about. I have heard that there are much better options than MRE's. Health wise, taste wise, and cost wise. PS, you pinter a very nice picture with that last post...
I don't see what the problem is. Everybody is being nice, and getting along, and I, for one, am learning stuff. So, if you don't like the discussion, don't look at the thread. Or, simply cut to the chase, and close it.