Mower Recommendation
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Mower Recommendation

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2012, 04:22 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 429 Times on 282 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Default Mower Recommendation

Anyone have any recommendations for a good mower? We officially left the city and bought a place on 6 acres. I have 3 acres of yard, minus house and driveway and 3 acres of woods. We are going to limp along with a loaner this year and save up for a nice zero-turn over the winter to buy next year. I just want to get an idea as to which brands are better than others. The mower has to be a ZTR, no tractor-types, and needs a minimum of 54" cut, preferably 60". I've heard and read a lot of good things about Bad Boy mowers being the "best bang for your buck", but I don't know anyone that actually owns one. Budget would be about $6k. Any suggestions or ecommendations?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-07-2012, 04:41 PM   #2

Liked 2389 Times on 1488 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Not sure of current prices, but xmark makes a very good mower, Dixion is good, John deere or cub cadet are fine too. I have used the xmark and Dixion heavily, both in 60" cuts. Great mowers just required regular matinence with lots of hours (400+acre horse farms.) I prefer the Xmark mower, great power and great motor. Have even heard toro being on the "economy" end is a good mower. Have seen commercial companies using them, I just can't attest to the durability/quality. Also Dixie Chopper is a big name in the ZTR world. Good luck and congrats on the new place.

Forgive any run ons, or spelling this is from my phone.

Oh dern....

Revelation 19:11

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

Old 05-07-2012, 10:55 PM   #3

Liked 742 Times on 435 Posts
Likes Given: 958

We have a JOHN DEERE 955 with a 72 inch belly mower on it, it leaves a nice looking cut, and covers a lot of ground in a hurry, then we just use a cheapo murray rider up close to the house and barns. Your ground needs to be very smooth for a zero turn mower to survive. We had a SCAGG 60 inch , after 2 seasons it was totally destroyed, and our ground isnt all that rough.

The Founders DID anticipate that arms technology would advance, that's why the 2nd amendment doesn't say "the right to keep and bear a musket".......

Old 05-07-2012, 11:07 PM   #4
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2869 Times on 1657 Posts
Likes Given: 1235

Electric fence and ponies (Shetland and the 8 pack from Miller).

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 05-07-2012, 11:15 PM   #5

Liked 293 Times on 221 Posts

I thank y'all are forgetting the best of the best Husqvarna. Heck your grand kids won't half to buy another mower.

image-1645940445.jpg  

Old 05-07-2012, 11:25 PM   #6

Liked 206 Times on 154 Posts

I like my Cub. Cub was king then they slipped I think, but now they are back to making some of the best. But the husk are good too.

Old 05-08-2012, 12:17 AM   #7

I've never been a big fan of Briggs engines. Whatever I get needs to have a Kohler or a higher quality Kawasaki with the cannisted air cleaner. My yard will be just fine for a ZTR. The family we bought the house from had a Toro ZTR.

Old 05-08-2012, 12:51 AM   #8

Liked 742 Times on 435 Posts
Likes Given: 958

If you are going to go the ZTR route, i would spend the xtra up front, and get a commercial grade mower. FERRIS, with a PERKINS diesel engine is probably as good as it gets. but the XMARK is also very good. The "homeowner specials" like they sell at lowes,home depot,sears, etc will give you steering (hydraulic), suspension, deck, bearing problems. in just a few years. I worked at an implement dealer for a while before i went to college, learned a lot in the short time i was there.

The Founders DID anticipate that arms technology would advance, that's why the 2nd amendment doesn't say "the right to keep and bear a musket".......

Old 05-08-2012, 01:21 AM   #9

Liked 2458 Times on 1594 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by readygirl
If you are going to go the ZTR route, i would spend the xtra up front, and get a commercial grade mower. FERRIS, with a PERKINS diesel engine is probably as good as it gets. but the XMARK is also very good. The "homeowner specials" like they sell at lowes,home depot,sears, etc will give you steering (hydraulic), suspension, deck, bearing problems. in just a few years. I worked at an implement dealer for a while before i went to college, learned a lot in the short time i was there.
Holy cow! You look like that, shoot guns, and know your way around implements? You can't tell me nobody has proposed to you through this forum yet.

Feral cat waterboarder

Old 05-08-2012, 01:51 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by readygirl View Post
Definitely not considering anything from a big box store. Top contenders so far are the Grasshopper 223 w/61" deck and Kohler motor, Bad Boy CZT w/60" deck ad either Kawasaki or Kohler, and either the Ferris 1500z or 2000z. I need to get to a dealer to check them out. I looked at several shops over lunch today. SCAG was too rough riding and seemed to be more commercial oriented. TORO was just okay. Nothing super great, but nothing terrible either. Hustlers were a let-down. Very low to the ground and uncomfortable to sit on. Their top end models were over $8500 and I'd rather have the Grasshopper. I don't have a Dixie Chopper dealer within a realistic driving distance if I needed service that I couldn't do myself. I will try to run by a Ferris dealer tomorrow. Curious to see what the price point is on the 1500 and 2000. I like that they have pump and wheel motors like the bigger SCAGS and Grasshoppers.