Move decision based on gun friendliness?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Move decision based on gun friendliness?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2013, 11:53 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 82 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Default Move decision based on gun friendliness?

Has anyone's deciding factor on moving been based on gun laws?

This is really just out of curiosity. I have the opportunity to move from a small town in Alabama to Orlando, FL. Gun laws in Alabama are pretty good for the pro-gun types. Florida is similar but seems to me it has the opportunity to go the other way. It would mean more income, double the sq footage of current house and less than the current house payment (Because the property is family owned and already paid off). Personally, I'm not a big fan of big cities. It's actually on the outskirts of Orlando. It is a much more heavily populated area than I'm in now but it's a short drive to be out in the middle of the woods. I'm leaning towards not doing it just because it is so close to a huge metropolitan area. The change in income is considerable but I'm not doing bad now.

I'm torn. It would be awesome to be so close to a beach. What are some other things I should consider? Fun friendly laws are very important to me. I refuse to move somewhere and have less rights than I currently have.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-09-2013, 11:54 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1767 Times on 988 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

No, never moved because of gun laws. I live in Florida. What side of Orlando are you moving to?

Old 05-10-2013, 01:48 AM   #3
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7104 Times on 4275 Posts
Likes Given: 8611

Do you have school age children? How old are you.

My deciding factors would also include the extra income. If I needed to sock money away for retirement, I would take that move. You can always return to more rural living later. I would have to consider if I had school age children and if I wanted to move them from their friends and their school. I would factor in how many more years I had to work.

Old 05-10-2013, 02:02 AM   #4
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8276 Times on 4782 Posts
Likes Given: 10702

Not yet. But that might change in the future. Never been inclined to move before.

What you describe sounds to me like a good move. If things go south in FL, then can you move back.

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.

Old 05-10-2013, 03:17 AM   #5

Liked 736 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 790

My decision not to move is based off gun friendliness....

kfox75 Likes This 
Old 05-10-2013, 03:24 AM   #6

Liked 2493 Times on 1422 Posts
Likes Given: 1945

First and foremost, what are the range, and shooting

opportunities where you live, and where you are moving to?

Perhaps someone closer to Orlando can help us here, as I live

closer to Tampa.

Welcome to Florida, luckyj.

Come on down...

Old 05-10-2013, 05:14 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3726 Times on 2283 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyj
Has anyone's deciding factor on moving been based on gun laws?

This is really just out of curiosity. I have the opportunity to move from a small town in Alabama to Orlando, FL. Gun laws in Alabama are pretty good for the pro-gun types. Florida is similar but seems to me it has the opportunity to go the other way. It would mean more income, double the sq footage of current house and less than the current house payment (Because the property is family owned and already paid off). Personally, I'm not a big fan of big cities. It's actually on the outskirts of Orlando. It is a much more heavily populated area than I'm in now but it's a short drive to be out in the middle of the woods. I'm leaning towards not doing it just because it is so close to a huge metropolitan area. The change in income is considerable but I'm not doing bad now.

I'm torn. It would be awesome to be so close to a beach. What are some other things I should consider? Fun friendly laws are very important to me. I refuse to move somewhere and have less rights than I currently have.
I haven't had the opportunity yet but if my plans work out the way I intend, I will have an opportunity to choose a place (out of few choices) to live based partially on gun laws.

One thing to think about is that if you move to Florida and gun laws go south, chances are you will be grandfathered if you're there before the decline.

Being close to a huge metropolitan area might not be an issue. It kinda depends on if there's stuff out your way that will draw people from the city, in my opinion. If there's not much happening, and all the "spots" are in a different direction than you, then you have little to worry about. On the other hand, those woods you brought up might be the thing that draws people out there, hunting season for example.

Always have clean socks.

Old 05-10-2013, 05:19 AM   #8
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1577 Times on 964 Posts
Likes Given: 8161

Luckyj, i have never moved, nor will I ever, based solely on gun laws. The reasons behind my location are many, some gun related, most not.

I have spent the last 22 years here in the Vampire State, and i am tired of it sucking my bank account dry via it's taxes, and the programs and laws that are written to favor the sh!t hole on the Hudson. I am tired of living in a state where our biggest export is recent college graduates, where if my daughter stays and graduates, she may never be able to find a job in her chosen career field. Things may be going great in NY City, but here in upstate, companies are closing their doors left and right. The NY "SAFE" Act is just the final stab in the back that this wonderful state has given me.

Given the information in your OP, I would say check out the local laws and ordenences, ( not just gun related, some places have laws where you can be ticketed for fixing your car outside of your garage, limits on what type of dog you can own, etc.) check out the housing market, and bear this in mind. The money may be better, and the politics can change as easily as the wind no matter where you go. i myself have no desire to return to Florida. I found the pace of life down there to be a little faster than what I like. The situation you described would be a toss up for me. part of me would want to go for the better money, but part of me would be happy where I am. All you really can do is give it some deep thought, and talk it over with your family. This is not a decision that should be made without talking it over with your SO and children if any. If it is just you, go and see where it leads.

Even though I would never go back, I had a lot of fun for the 2 years I spent in the Jacksonville metro area. Wouldn't trade it for anything, but I am quite a bit happier with the slower life I now have. I had my fill of the area back then while my dad was attached to the base down there. Just too d@mn fast for me.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem para bellum.

To those who wish to take away our Second Amendment rights. What will you do when we, all 100,000,000 of us, stand as one, and say no?

Last edited by kfox75; 05-10-2013 at 05:27 AM.

Old 05-10-2013, 05:34 AM   #9
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1324 Times on 693 Posts
Likes Given: 607

When the opportunity for my wife and I to relocate, we decided to leave Kalifornia based on the left-wing liberal stranglehold the Democratic Party has on all politics and manufacture the truth. We could've stayed in-state, but when you have the opportunity to get out from under oppression, you take it. The States we entertained all had family, but we considered the political climate and gun-friendliness. So No, it didn't make our decision, but it was a factor.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Old 05-10-2013, 11:42 AM   #10
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2877 Times on 1662 Posts
Likes Given: 1236

Why is it when people talk of Florida, they never talk about the panhandle?

Yeah, we have "white" sands, pro-gun, Jeff Miller, shooting ranges all over, spring breakers, and much more.

Orlando? Mickey Mouse.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)