Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Motorcycles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2013, 01:23 AM   #311
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2226 Times on 1446 Posts

I was told to keep your head level with the horizon (assuming the horizon is level) while leaning. Works for me on my Harley. No, I don't lean it like a sportbike, but I do more leaning than I should sometimes. I have cut back on spinning the rear tire while in a curve, though. I was getting way too brave doing that.

Feral cat waterboarder

MOshooter Likes This 
Old 11-07-2013, 01:57 PM   #312

Liked 621 Times on 404 Posts
Likes Given: 1272

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
Uh, does that have any relation to what kind of bike you're riding? To get my chin anywhere near my handlebars, I'd have a hell of a stretch.

The bike I'm looking at buying? I'd have to almost fold myself in half.

The bike I want? Nuh uh. Not happenin. It'd be easier to autofellate.

I can totally see this on a sport bike. Oh yes, very easily. A little more difficult on cruisers or choppers with tall or wide bars and forward foot controls.

Or am I completely off base? I don't have much experience on a street bike, only had mine for a couple months now, and I've logged a little over 4 thousand miles in my lifetime, MAYBE. But I don't see me making that reach on the style of bike I prefer, or this bike I have now, which is based on the old flat track bikes of the 70's and 80's, but some idiot put mini ape hangers on...
Trip, yes riding positions differ with different types of bikes. I spent most of my years on Japanese bikes from the 70's and 80's street bikes and motorcross,which were more of an upright style,opposed to a cruiser style bikes of today.

The few things i've learned through the years of riding,some I learned the hard way,as in OUCH! lol

Always ride your ride,never let anyone push your comfort riding envelope on 2 wheels.

Ride as though you're invisible and no one can see you,because a lot of times they don't.

Intersections are the most dangerous place for a motorcycle.
When approaching a cross intersection with traffic I always cover my brakes ready for a fast emergency stop and keep an eye on the lead vehicles front wheel,that's where you will see the first and slightest movement on a vehicle if they're pulling out in front of you.

While stopped in traffic or stop lights keep it in gear,constantly watch your mirrors,leave yourself enough room from the vehicle ahead of you in case some airhead behind you fails to stop and wants to add you as a hood ornament,you may have enough space and time to pull forward into your escape route.

Always ride defensive, and Never out ride your Guardian Angel.

I also highly recommend riders safety courses,they really emphasis safe and defensive riding skills and in our state you get a break on Ins. rates for passing the safety courses these days.

That's a great looking bike you're looking at there Trip
Old 11-07-2013, 02:30 PM   #313

Default Slow Speed Maneuvers

Check out this Officers riding skills,Amazing!!

Old 11-07-2013, 02:38 PM   #314

Liked 9185 Times on 5049 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOshooter View Post
Check out this Officers riding skills,Amazing!!

Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iw1JCdMnE0Y
I've seen their obstacle course too. Those guys rely are amazing.

Old 11-07-2013, 02:44 PM   #315
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3587 Times on 2234 Posts
Likes Given: 1214

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOshooter
Check out this Officers riding skills,Amazing!! Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iw1JCdMnE0Y
Here's another amazing one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQkGb2lrs_A&feature=youtube_gdata

Always have clean socks.

Old 11-07-2013, 04:04 PM   #316
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2176 Times on 1120 Posts
Likes Given: 188

Quote:
Trip, yes riding positions differ with different types of bikes. I spent most of my years on Japanese bikes from the 70's and 80's street bikes and motorcross,which were more of an upright style,opposed to a cruiser style bikes of today.

The few things i've learned through the years of riding,some I learned the hard way,as in OUCH! lol

Always ride your ride,never let anyone push your comfort riding envelope on 2 wheels.

Ride as though you're invisible and no one can see you,because a lot of times they don't.

Intersections are the most dangerous place for a motorcycle.
When approaching a cross intersection with traffic I always cover my brakes ready for a fast emergency stop and keep an eye on the lead vehicles front wheel,that's where you will see the first and slightest movement on a vehicle if they're pulling out in front of you.

While stopped in traffic or stop lights keep it in gear,constantly watch your mirrors,leave yourself enough room from the vehicle ahead of you in case some airhead behind you fails to stop and wants to add you as a hood ornament,you may have enough space and time to pull forward into your escape route.

Always ride defensive, and Never out ride your Guardian Angel.

I also highly recommend riders safety courses,they really emphasis safe and defensive riding skills and in our state you get a break on Ins. rates for passing the safety courses these days.

That's a great looking bike you're looking at there Trip
Lots of good advice here.
The Rider classes might not be mandatory, but they are an extremely good idea nonetheless. Even if you've done one before, but you've been away for a few years, it's worth doing again. It's amazing how much you forget. Motorcyclists with too much training aren't really the problem out there.

http://nm.msf-usa.org/msf/ridercourses.aspx?pagename=RiderCourse%20Info
NRA Life Member

"Why can't I just eat my waffle?" B. H. Obama. (Sort of representative of his whole tenure, when you think about it.)
MOshooter Likes This 
Old 11-07-2013, 04:29 PM   #317

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkill0084 View Post

The Rider classes might not be mandatory, but they are an extremely good idea nonetheless. Even if you've done one before, but you've been away for a few years, it's worth doing again. It's amazing how much you forget. Motorcyclists with too much training aren't really the problem out there.

We actually have those classes. They have a beginner's course and an advanced riders refresher course. I do plan on taking it before I get the motorcycle endorsement, registration, and insurance on it. Probably next spring.

Old 11-08-2013, 01:11 AM   #318

Liked 544 Times on 310 Posts
Likes Given: 682

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoHawk
I'm in Virginia and have never done either of those. I guess I'll add them to my list.
Hwy 311 goes out to the Swinging Bridge. A suspended bridge and restaurant. We may try to go there for Thanksgiving Dinner. They are serving.
http://www.virginia.org/Listings/Dining/TheSwingingBridgeRestaurant/

My son has been riding for about 10 years and I learned they used to go up on the Blue Ridge Parkway at night with a switch for their tail light so they could ditch the cops. They would ride, race, get chased and disappear into the woods (tree line is about 20' from the road) - switch off their lights and watch cops go right by.

They had Wheelie Contests on the top of Bent Mountain right in front of the Firestation.

They are crazy.

~ Holsters ~

Never forget these important words:
We the People...
America, take back your country!

Last edited by wittmeba; 11-08-2013 at 01:13 AM.

Old 11-08-2013, 12:43 PM   #319

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
I've seen their obstacle course too. Those guys rely are amazing.
Those motor officers really go through the training and it shows,I always enjoy watching slow speed practice/competition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW357 View Post
JW That's an awesome video! IMHO Slow speed is where the skill level shows in riders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkill0084 View Post

Thanks Overkill
I totally agree,the problem isn't a well trained motorcycle rider. It's the inattentive drivers that are busy on their cell phones with texting and conversation,the safety courses help us survive on the roads with these drivers.

Old 11-08-2013, 12:48 PM   #320

Quote:

Those motor officers really go through the training and it shows,I always enjoy watching slow speed practice/competition.
That and the fact that some of them spend more time on two wheels than some people spend AWAKE at one time.

Had to help a West Monroe officer pick up his bike when he dropped it in the middle of the Christmas parade last year. I think he was a regular patrol car officer who was just riding a bike for the parade.

Dude actually asked me, "you think anyone saw that?" And he was dead serious.
I just stopped mid lift and stared at him. I didn't know how to respond.
"My bad, that was a dumb question."