Which Motorcycle is the Best? - Page 10
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Which Motorcycle is the Best?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2012, 03:19 PM   #91
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigjumpr
@kobel question then i will stop beating this dead horse, do you ride? have you ever heard a motorcycle/car/truck coming up the road toward you?
no i didn't Bother reading your article mainly because of the (IMO) lack of making sense if this is your main source of information. One more question, have you ever been driving and heard the sound of a siren approaching from behind you? Or in your words the sound is in back of the emergency vehicle………..you see why you way of thinking is hard to agree with...
I have been riding for 10 years to answer the first question. Now to answer the approaching siren. On any fire truck or ambulance the siren is mounted on the front of the vehicle in order to be heard at a greater distance that it is approaching. That is why it fades very fast once it passes you. That is why the loudest a motorcycle will be is from behind. Start your bike and then stand behind it, then in front. Which is louder? Then climb in your truck and close the door, how well do you hear your bike? It will again be loudest from the rear. Now traveling on the highway at 60 miles an hour your bike should be around 105 decibels. To stationary car waiting at a stop sign or light as you are approaching sound like nothing. Try this simple test. Sit at a stop sign and have your buddy travel at a constant speed and approach you, then pass by. Don't look for the bike just listen. Widows up music at a reasonable level.

Old 05-03-2012, 03:54 PM   #92

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Now I am in no way trying to start a war with the good people hear on the forum. I like the info on here and enjoy the jokes and teasing that goes on. The only reason I am even trying to show the other side is. I have a friend, Ralph howel. We called him Nader. Never wore a helmet or jacket. 5 years ago was in a bad motorcycle accident. As he was approaching from behind a female driver switched lanes, he clipped the rear quarter, or you can say she hit his front wheel. He went down, life flighted him to Columbus and 3 weeks in icu unconscious not sure if he would wake up. His bike was loud, louder then most. A driver more preoccupied with whatever almost cost him his life.
Now life is short and just by a stroke of grace he lived, but he carries the scars of that accident. He looks like someone who had a very bad stroke, his face sags and he can't see out of one eye.
I know everyone is grow ups and can make their own choices on helmets, jackets loud pipes and so on. Just remember, each time we leave the house on a bike we have a chance of not returning. I moved from a Kawasaki zx10 ninja way to fast for the street to a cruiser. I did that because I at the time only had one child now I have 2. My family depends on me, I knew I had an addiction to speed that's why I sold the ninja. I always where a helmet so that I can greater increase my chances of survival. I enjoyed the conversation it would be fun to ride together sometime if you live near Ohio.

Old 05-03-2012, 04:26 PM   #93

Liked 360 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 167

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobel1up View Post
Now I am in no way trying to start a war with the good people hear on the forum. I like the info on here and enjoy the jokes and teasing that goes on. The only reason I am even trying to show the other side is. I have a friend, Ralph howel. We called him Nader. Never wore a helmet or jacket. 5 years ago was in a bad motorcycle accident. As he was approaching from behind a female driver switched lanes, he clipped the rear quarter, or you can say she hit his front wheel. He went down, life flighted him to Columbus and 3 weeks in icu unconscious not sure if he would wake up. His bike was loud, louder then most. A driver more preoccupied with whatever almost cost him his life.
Now life is short and just by a stroke of grace he lived, but he carries the scars of that accident. He looks like someone who had a very bad stroke, his face sags and he can't see out of one eye.
I know everyone is grow ups and can make their own choices on helmets, jackets loud pipes and so on. Just remember, each time we leave the house on a bike we have a chance of not returning. I moved from a Kawasaki zx10 ninja way to fast for the street to a cruiser. I did that because I at the time only had one child now I have 2. My family depends on me, I knew I had an addiction to speed that's why I sold the ninja. I always where a helmet so that I can greater increase my chances of survival. I enjoyed the conversation it would be fun to ride together sometime if you live near Ohio.
Each day you wake up you take that chance on rolling the dice of life whether it's on a bike or not. Car accidents, armed robbery, train, whatever, you are right that life is short but the way I see it when it's your time it's your time, helmet or not. I've seen people with full face helmets not make it through an accident and people with no helmets walk away. I can't tell you how many people I have seen over the last decade make it through multiple tours in a combat zone and then come home and wrap themselves around a tree.

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.

Old 05-03-2012, 04:49 PM   #94

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobel1up
The article didn't say anything about the next turn. It said if you are right next to a car and their window is down that it could draw attention to the loud bike.
I did read the article. And it was false. The comment about being around the next turn was a comment of my own. I never said it was part of the article. I don't know how you're hearing is but I always hear bikes coming TOWARDS me. Yes they are louder when you're behind them, but ive never ad a problem hearing them behind me either.

Si vis pacem, Para Bellum.
"If you want peace, Prepare for war"

Old 05-03-2012, 06:20 PM   #95

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobel1up View Post
now to be fair, You can see why I feel you will never see any view except the one you have formulated due to the unfortunate accident your friend has had and that was bad no matter what but, even you would have to admit that there were some extenuating circumstances as you have described Fair to say? with the added information i too would say the the loud pipes would not help.
It has come to the point of agreeing to disagree. And you if your within the range of Indiana Pa. (my son teaches there) I’m there quite often and yes I would welcome a friendly putt. Ride safe ride free remember rubber side down.

Rigjumpr
Texas CHL Instructor, NRA Handgun Instructor,
Owner Operator- DefenderTX Concealed Handgun training
“American by birth Texan by the grace of God”
“Molon labe”
http://www.ebay.com/itm/151001455519?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p39 84.m1555.l2649

Old 05-04-2012, 06:38 PM   #96

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Update. The Suzuki was ok, first impression was that I liked it, but it had some issues and turned out was off of the street for the last 4 years. The 2008 inspection sticker was a dead giveaway. I knew the inspection was invalid going in, but not for that long. The owner failed to mention that along with the fact that both sets of brakes were sticking from sitting so long. All of the rotors were pretty significantly scored up to the point that I'd replace them. $$$. I also burned myself on one of the front rotors when I touched them as he had taken it for a ride before I arrived. It sat for years, but he took it for a long enough ride just before I got there to turn the rotors quite hot. That started my suspicions working overtime. He refused to budge on the price and was glossing over the problems way too much. You should have seen how bad the checkering was on both tires from dry rot. He had told me that there was a "little bit" of checkering on the rear tire, but not the front, and a "little bit" was far from the truth. They had a fresh coat of tire gloss on them. Like that would have made the rot less noticeable. Really? Great tread, though. The fresh oil overspray burning off of the pipes was another thing. I also get hincky when a seller goes out of his way to say how many people are coming to look at something after I am. It reminded me of a used car on a questionable dealer's lot. Really cleaned up nicely but problems are way too evident and not enough forthcoming by the salesman. Made me uncomfortable. I passed. Sure enough, he called me yesterday to want to work out a gun & cash deal as he had asked me to show him my FMK when I came up to look at the bike. I would have bet money that I was going to hear from him. Yeah, I guess those people were really beating his door down to buy that bike, all right.

Ended up that I went after to look at a 1980 Kawasaki 750 LTD. Bought it and am picking it up in a couple of hours. It needs some minor cosmetic TLC and maybe a front tire and inspected as he hasn't rode it this season yet, that's all. Not a bad deal for $900.

Old 05-04-2012, 06:57 PM   #97

Liked 200 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanNinja View Post
That would be a personal preference. You're going to get the same "Chevy vs Ford" argument here.

I grew up in a biker family, as did my wife (which is how we met when we were kids) our fathers rode together and would never touch anything if it didn't have the Harley Davidson name on it.
Me personally, I love the look of a Harley, but I hate the ride. I currently ride a 2000 Suzuki Bandit 1200s. Great for long distance riding, and it will get out of its own way when I hit the throttle.
The Suziki Bandit is a fast motorcycle.

It also retains some of the classic lines of the original Honda 750 four cylinder superbike, the first motorcycle to be called a superbike.

Old 05-04-2012, 07:00 PM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado113 View Post
Each day you wake up you take that chance on rolling the dice of life whether it's on a bike or not. Car accidents, armed robbery, train, whatever, you are right that life is short but the way I see it when it's your time it's your time, helmet or not. I've seen people with full face helmets not make it through an accident and people with no helmets walk away. I can't tell you how many people I have seen over the last decade make it through multiple tours in a combat zone and then come home and wrap themselves around a tree.
Top 5 ways to die based on deaths per hour of activity:

1 - skydiving
2 - private aviation
3 - street motorcycling
4 - scuba diving
5 - swimming

Old 05-04-2012, 07:03 PM   #99

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoobee

The Suziki Bandit is a fast motorcycle.

It also retains some of the classic lines of the original Honda 750 four cylinder superbike, the first motorcycle to be called a superbike.
I love my bandit. It took me a couple years to track down a decent one. Its such a comfortable ride and still has the power of a crotch rocket when I need it.

Si vis pacem, Para Bellum.
"If you want peace, Prepare for war"

Old 05-04-2012, 07:06 PM   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanNinja View Post
I love my bandit. It took me a couple years to track down a decent one. Its such a comfortable ride and still has the power of a crotch rocket when I need it.
I miss my Honda 750 Four. It was once the fastest motorcycle in the world.

Only now the Suzuki's would easily outrun it.