Motorcycle? - Page 9
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Motorcycle?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2012, 10:41 PM   #81
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 334 Times on 192 Posts
Likes Given: 602

Nice looking bike - enjoy it and be safe.

Old 09-07-2012, 10:48 PM   #82
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 212 Times on 169 Posts
Likes Given: 116

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shihan View Post
I don't know what you all ate talking, just wanted to say that I recently drove/rode one of those Can-Am spyders. WOW, what a ride. I think I may consider one of those.

Those are a blast to ride and pretty damned fasted too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by primer1 View Post
Did it feel like it could tip if pushed too hard turning?
Not to me at least and I pushed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShagNasty1001 View Post
Just an update. I ended up going with the Yamaha FZ6r today after reading a bunch of reviews on it being a good starting bike in the 600cc engine size. A few things that really drew me to it were that it has a higher set of handlebars than most crotch rockets (I sat on an R6 and cbr to compare), the mirrors are also higher and easier to see out of and most importantly for me at least, it was east to sit on with my feet on the ground and balance it. I've only taken it around my apartments parking lot so far and don't plan on leaving it until I work on my braking some more with the rear tire brake (that's always been my downfall is the front tire brake and over using it). But here's a few pictures and thank you all for looking out for my safety. I'm going to get into a class as soon as possible and go get endorsed as soon as I can
Be safe, keep the shiny side up and the rubber on the road!

I've heard and read the stories about HD dealers and how they treat you crappy and their service sucks and/or it's a rip off. The HD dealer near me is the complete opposite (HD of Long Branch in NJ). Great sales guys and gals, and the service hourly rate may be about $10-$15 more per hour than a local wrench, it's done under warranty (when applicable) plus they do what they can to charge as little as possible in terms of hours. Plenty of times I came to them with parts purchased by the sales floor and the mech would meet me (with the counterman's ok) out back and fix her up for me right then and there. And even though my warranty is over, if EVER there is an issue while I'm riding if I can get her ther, they will put her on the lift ASAP and help get me out of there quickly. I do take care of them like around the holidays or when I go up North, I'll buy some of those little maple leaf shaped bottles of real maple syrup and pass them around when I visit. Treat me nice, I treat you nice (and you get my business).
Beretta 84FS .380 ACP
Ruger MKIII 22/45 Target .22LR

PWS (Primary Weapons Systems) MK114 5.56

Old 09-08-2012, 02:21 AM   #83

Liked 2570 Times on 1671 Posts

Looks nice, shag. Watch that throttle, especially if the road: is wet, oily (center lane), or has any debris at all (gravel and wet leaves are like ice), and while turning.

As far as the brake thing, most of your stopping power comes from the front. When you get comfortable and used to the bike, try some emergency stops if you have the road to yourself. Then try a hard stop with only the rear brake. You'll see. To brake properly, apply both brakes evenly at the same time.

Doing a quick saftey check is a good habit to get into. I've had two tires with splits in them, losing a tire on a bike is a bad situation real fast. Brake fluid, lights, etc. Leather is tops for bikes, I'd invest in it if you haven't already.

Most of all, watch out for the other idiots on the road. Most people look for cars while driving. Keep your bright headlight on unless its dark around traffic.

Happy riding!

Feral cat waterboarder

Old 09-08-2012, 01:28 PM   #84

Liked 114 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 114

Can't stress enough that most of your braking power comes from the front brake. the front brake - use it!! All the time!
There is a myth - widespread in the Harley community - that using the front brake is the route to disaster - to only use back brake.
This couldn't be further from the truth!
Please take a state sponsored riding course so that you will get the proper brake instruction - unbiased by the Harley crowd. Or at least pick up one of the excellent riding instructional books available - David Hough has a couple - and other authors.
That technique of back brake primary is dangerous...

Learn about it and you will understand why - it's not just severely limited braking power - but you are setting your self up for what is known as a "high side" crash - where you fly over the bike --- due to locking of the rear wheel and a subsequent sideways yaw of the bike --- and disaster...

Please learn...

Old 09-08-2012, 02:11 PM   #85

Liked 2570 Times on 1671 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colby
Can't stress enough that most of your braking power comes from the front brake. the front brake - use it!! All the time!
There is a myth - widespread in the Harley community - that using the front brake is the route to disaster - to only use back brake.
This couldn't be further from the truth!
Please take a state sponsored riding course so that you will get the proper brake instruction - unbiased by the Harley crowd. Or at least pick up one of the excellent riding instructional books available - David Hough has a couple - and other authors.
That technique of back brake primary is dangerous...

Learn about it and you will understand why - it's not just severely limited braking power - but you are setting your self up for what is known as a "high side" crash - where you fly over the bike --- due to locking of the rear wheel and a subsequent sideways yaw of the bike --- and disaster...

Please learn...
Widespread in the Harley community..

I ride a Harley and have never heard the only rear brake thing. See my above post, Colby. Maybe its a thing in your area. You make it appear that Harley riders don't know how to ride.

Feral cat waterboarder

Old 09-08-2012, 08:49 PM   #86
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 212 Times on 169 Posts
Likes Given: 116

Learn from others on that one. Your front brake IS your friend. That rear wheel locking up can be potential for disaster. MSF course should be a must without a doubt. Best $275 you'll spend on your new hobby.

Beretta 84FS .380 ACP
Ruger MKIII 22/45 Target .22LR

PWS (Primary Weapons Systems) MK114 5.56

Old 09-09-2012, 06:48 AM   #87

Liked 114 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 114

Quote:
Originally Posted by primer1 View Post
Widespread in the Harley community..

I ride a Harley and have never heard the only rear brake thing. See my above post, Colby. Maybe its a thing in your area. You make it appear that Harley riders don't know how to ride.
Sorry Primer. Don't mean to step on toes.
The OP - ShagNasty - stated one of his worst habits is over using his front brake - that he had to break that habit and get on his back break. ------
- Someone had to have told him that. In my circles it is a common Harley thing. So ... I said it. Sorry. I shouldn't have used a brand name.
But he really needs to understand proper braking before he gets himself into serious trouble. That's what my concern was.

Old 09-09-2012, 03:03 PM   #88

Liked 541 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 2178

At some point you will need to hit the front brake so hard the back wheel will come up. Practice hard stops with the front brake, I once had a biker buddy cut me off. We were riding in a pack of sport bikes and the guys in front rode a wheelie over the crest of a hill in town. On the other side of the hill was a cop running towards his car. The guys in front turned left, most of us kept cruising straight doing no wrong. I just happen to see my buddy on my right follow the guys that turned left. I hit the front brake hard and brought the back wheel of my FZR1000 up a couple feet, released the brake and kept the ride up and going. Front brake is your friend!

Remember the battle of Athens, TN!

"Work as if you were to live 100 Years, Pray as if you were to die To-morrow." --Benjamin Franklin

Old 05-25-2013, 03:27 AM   #89

Liked 460 Times on 267 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Hey y'all, don't mean to bring up an old thread (i'll get cake later) but I had a question about my FZ6r's rear brake. I've had it sitting in storage most of the winter and when I went to ride it around my parking lot this week (I've been doing upgrades so I haven't really been riding) the rear brake wasn't responding. I had my roommate check it out since he's grown up around motorcycles and after he confirmed what I thought of it not responding, we took the caliper off. We noticed the piston that pushes against the pads wasn't moving as I pressed on the brake lever. Is it just seized up and needing a good flushing and new fluids or would it be the caliper? There was brake fluid in the hoses

Old 05-25-2013, 03:49 AM   #90

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

I'd guess it is the piston, but, you'll figure it out before you take it out again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmh View Post
I am more on the duel sports now. I have a tw200 but the next bike I get I would like it to be a bmw dakar or a gs650. Something to be said for being able to go anywhere and getting 70 mpg.
Yeah boyyy...
honda_transalp_motorcycle_600_v_twin.jpg  

Last edited by HockaLouis; 05-25-2013 at 03:51 AM.