Motorcycle? - Page 7
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Motorcycle?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2012, 02:59 PM   #61
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 208 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 10

So on Page 4 of six, Gello recommends a ninja 250... I ride a 250 honda rebel. I would suggest getting closer to 500ccs, shagnasty, only because you'll need that power at freeway speeds to avoid a collision

------------Space Not for Hire.-----------

Old 09-01-2012, 04:08 PM   #62

Liked 19 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyWayne View Post
If you have never ridden I would tell all your friends & family to take out a life Insurance policy on you.
The R1 will do 150 out of the box. The others will do 130 - 140 out of the box

I have an R1 with after market parts I have seen the speedometer read 180 mph...

Those all have a lot of torque when you hit the power band.
I've had my stock '05 636 at 153mph indicated. Probably actually around 141ish, but it was still pulling and I backed off. An R1 will do 100+ in first gear. Friend has seen 182 or something indicated on his R1 and it was stock except slip ons. I don't think this is cool, i've grown up, but just for reference.

What do I shoot with? Canon gear of course

Old 09-01-2012, 04:10 PM   #63

Liked 19 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagj17 View Post
So on Page 4 of six, Gello recommends a ninja 250... I ride a 250 honda rebel. I would suggest getting closer to 500ccs, shagnasty, only because you'll need that power at freeway speeds to avoid a collision
I don't really agree. A newer Ninja 250 is actually faster than most average cars. It will get out of its way if needed, just not anywhere near as fast as a super bike. If you do a lot of highway riding than a 500 or 650 sport touring bike would do you better than a 250. You can still get in trouble on a 250 so don't think it isn't a "real" motorcycle.

What do I shoot with? Canon gear of course

Old 09-01-2012, 04:16 PM   #64
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Isn't the Rebel a thumper where the "ninja" 250 is a twin? I would think that a 250 twin would be more than adequate for any riding a new rider really needs to be doing. Of course, my first "car" was a 1965 beetle with about 40 horsepower.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 09-01-2012, 05:06 PM   #65

Liked 208 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello
Isn't the Rebel a thumper where the "ninja" 250 is a twin? I would think that a 250 twin would be more than adequate for any riding a new rider really needs to be doing. Of course, my first "car" was a 1965 beetle with about 40 horsepower.
Its a twin...
Mine tops out at 80... and I've taken from so Cal to Utah(619 miles.)
The Rebel can keep up, but barely
Up the hills to work out here, I'm LUCKY to hit 65( the speed limit)

------------Space Not for Hire.-----------

Old 09-01-2012, 06:13 PM   #66

Liked 460 Times on 267 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesb

I don't really agree. A newer Ninja 250 is actually faster than most average cars. It will get out of its way if needed, just not anywhere near as fast as a super bike. If you do a lot of highway riding than a 500 or 650 sport touring bike would do you better than a 250. You can still get in trouble on a 250 so don't think it isn't a "real" motorcycle.
That's mainly all I'd be riding is highway for the most part. I have a 20 mile drive to and from school and another 30 mile to and from work

Old 09-01-2012, 07:26 PM   #67
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 212 Times on 169 Posts
Likes Given: 116

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkill0084

Teeth tight together so your fillings stay put. Did they ever rubber mount the engine on the sportsters?
A part of what? HD riders give Sporty riders large rations of Crap.
"Hey dude, you got something hanging from your crack. Oh wait, sorry that's your sporty." It didn't help that he was 6'2" and not small. It went on like that until he bought a Softtail. Me, I went Triumph. Everyone & their cat around here has a HD or some sort of Plastic super cycle.
Lol! Yes they did. I have an 883 custom and it is a blast to ride. But on the highway I will look for 6th EVERYTIME I RIDE. Just too much vibration to ride at highway speeds for too long.

I wouldn't recommend it for a 1st bike though. It's almost 900 cc, and fast and heavy for a 1st one rider IMO.
Beretta 84FS .380 ACP
Ruger MKIII 22/45 Target .22LR

PWS (Primary Weapons Systems) MK114 5.56

Old 09-01-2012, 07:27 PM   #68
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3040 Times on 1522 Posts
Likes Given: 350

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShagNasty1001 View Post
That's mainly all I'd be riding is highway for the most part. I have a 20 mile drive to and from school and another 30 mile to and from work
Are you looking a pretty much new bikes, or are you trolling the used market too?
Just looking at the amount of miles you are looking at, I have a couple thoughts you might wish to consider.

6 speed gearbox. With the amount of time you look to be spending at 65 mph and higher, that extra gear will make a noticeable difference. Will a 5 speed work? Yes it will. Sprocket changes are usually no big deal. More often than not, a 6 speed will help your mileage and contribute to a more relaxed feel at highway speeds.

Riding position. Pay a lot of attention to this. You will be getting a lot of seat time with all that running around. Sport bike seating position is ok for a few miles, but after a long day, you may find it annoying. Only you will know for sure. When you start shopping, don't be afraid to take long test rides.

Seat & seat height. You previously mentioned you are 5'9". While not exactly short, it is a consideration if you start shopping for dual sports (or even some standard bikes), as they typically sit a bit higher than other types. Pay attention to how your feet are when stopped, as tip-toeing can be a pain and in some situations, unsafe. Wide cruiser style seats can be awkward too. Many bikes can be lowered to some degree if needed, but if done with shorter shocks it can make the ride a bit brittle feeling in some cases.

Maintenance schedules: Pay attention to this! If you are cost sensitive, research the maintenance schedules and price of typical consumables for any bike you are considering. For instance, stay away from the Ducatis with that Desmo-something valve setup if you don't like expensive service fees. Anything that requires frequent and expensive servicing needs to be considered as part of the normal operating costs. Even people who love their Ducs and make good money don't like the dealer service costs. FWIW, I'm unaware of any factory service bay that is especially cheap. Things like tires and brake parts are surprisingly expensive. My T-bird has an unusual size rear tire, the OEM replacement (rubbish) Metzler is around $200+ depending sourcing. If you have dual front discs, don't forget to double the cost of new front pads & or Discs. I mention all this, not to scare you off, but to emphasize the need for research on your next ride. If you are handy with a wrench you can do most of the basic stuff. Bear in mind, many things on a bike may also require special tools. If nothing else consider ordering the service manual. Also, labor intensive jobs may take a while at the dealer. So, as much as possible, plan ahead. If you live where winter is real with snow & all of it's associated fun, don't expect a quick turnaround in early spring at the service bay. You and a thousand other people have the same idea.
Enjoy your search and good luck.
NRA Life Member

How will we know it's time to gather up the pitchforks & torches and start assembling the guillotine on the DC mall?

Old 09-01-2012, 09:39 PM   #69

Liked 460 Times on 267 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:

Are you looking a pretty much new bikes, or are you trolling the used market too?
Just looking at the amount of miles you are looking at, I have a couple thoughts you might wish to consider.

6 speed gearbox. With the amount of time you look to be spending at 65 mph and higher, that extra gear will make a noticeable difference. Will a 5 speed work? Yes it will. Sprocket changes are usually no big deal. More often than not, a 6 speed will help your mileage and contribute to a more relaxed feel at highway speeds.

Riding position. Pay a lot of attention to this. You will be getting a lot of seat time with all that running around. Sport bike seating position is ok for a few miles, but after a long day, you may find it annoying. Only you will know for sure. When you start shopping, don't be afraid to take long test rides.

Seat & seat height. You previously mentioned you are 5'9". While not exactly short, it is a consideration if you start shopping for dual sports (or even some standard bikes), as they typically sit a bit higher than other types. Pay attention to how your feet are when stopped, as tip-toeing can be a pain and in some situations, unsafe. Wide cruiser style seats can be awkward too. Many bikes can be lowered to some degree if needed, but if done with shorter shocks it can make the ride a bit brittle feeling in some cases.

Maintenance schedules: Pay attention to this! If you are cost sensitive, research the maintenance schedules and price of typical consumables for any bike you are considering. For instance, stay away from the Ducatis with that Desmo-something valve setup if you don't like expensive service fees. Anything that requires frequent and expensive servicing needs to be considered as part of the normal operating costs. Even people who love their Ducs and make good money don't like the dealer service costs. FWIW, I'm unaware of any factory service bay that is especially cheap. Things like tires and brake parts are surprisingly expensive. My T-bird has an unusual size rear tire, the OEM replacement (rubbish) Metzler is around $200+ depending sourcing. If you have dual front discs, don't forget to double the cost of new front pads & or Discs. I mention all this, not to scare you off, but to emphasize the need for research on your next ride. If you are handy with a wrench you can do most of the basic stuff. Bear in mind, many things on a bike may also require special tools. If nothing else consider ordering the service manual. Also, labor intensive jobs may take a while at the dealer. So, as much as possible, plan ahead. If you live where winter is real with snow & all of it's associated fun, don't expect a quick turnaround in early spring at the service bay. You and a thousand other people have the same idea.
Enjoy your search and good luck.
I hadn't thought of the gears at all, I'll be sure to ask the dealer Tuesday when I go. And I was looking into the new market, I only found one of the one I'm pretty set on (Yamaha FZ6r) in my area and it had some higher mileage for the year. I'd also do as much of the minor work as I could (change the oil, etc) to save time. One of my roommates has a bike and does a lot of the work himself

Old 09-01-2012, 10:37 PM   #70

Liked 41 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
-Are you your mothers son?
-No, I'm 15
-Did you get your budgeting information from studies you've completed or pulled out of "somewhere"?
-Do you like apples

I'm done. Im way to important and busy to keep trying to piss you off... lmaorotf
It makes no difference to me if he buys a one legged homeless hooker to ride. I just wanted to hook a potato chip eating boy in his moms basement and make him mad. Im on to better things bro. Thanks for the entertainment!