Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Motorcycle?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2012, 01:48 PM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2339 Times on 1521 Posts

Colby, your a little off on the mpg ratings. My Harley low rider has the 88ci, has bigger carb jets and hi flow exhaust, is 13 years old and gets 40-45mpg with stop and go driving. It's closer to 50 mpg hwy. A guy at work has an older Honda Cbr600 with performance mods a gets a consistent 60 mpg.

Feral cat waterboarder

Old 08-31-2012, 02:15 PM   #42
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2530 Times on 1268 Posts
Likes Given: 239

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjacobson View Post
If he was 6'2" he probably should have bought a bike that fit and, there are sportsters that will fit a 6'2" man/woman. I had a 1200 that I stretched and raked (stroker) and it was bad to the bone.
So...HD Sportsters aren't for full sized people? Maybe our OP, Mr. Shagnasty is over 6'? I'm guessing your modded sporty isn't a typical of the species.

Quote:
Also, if a 6'2" man is getting made fun of on a sportster, he isn't meant to own a Harley. Otherwise there would be a lot of other Harley riders or plastic metric riders with missing teeth.
What does that mean? Should he have been a self delusional douche with a chip on his shoulder to ride it? "You gots to be a real man to ride a sporty?" Or you gotta be really tough to ride what most of the riders of the larger HDs consider a girls bike. AFAIK, the only HD bike given more crap is the V-Rod and it's offspring. Yeah, quite the community there, they apparently eat their young.

Quote:
a part of riding American and pulling into any Harley shop on a Friday night to a BBQ among brothers you have never met)... A part of having an extended family wherever you go...
Considering how they charge, the dealers ought to provide free food now & again. When I talk to die hard HD owners, the biggest complaints from them are about the dealers and the attached service departments. Most can't wait for their bike to get out of warranty so they can go to real shop. In this neck of the woods at least, HD dealers act as though they are doing you a favor by getting your requested service done in a reasonable amount of time. Test drives? Oh, hell no, but you can rent one for $149 per day.
NRA Life Member

"If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand."
Milton Friedman

Old 08-31-2012, 02:30 PM   #43

BTW, They have test drive bikes. They aren't gonna let anyone come in and ride away a $17,000 bike though.

Feral cat waterboarder

Old 08-31-2012, 03:08 PM   #44

Liked 460 Times on 267 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colby
That Yamaha FZ6 you like is a very nice bike. A 600 - not enormous power but a lot more than any of the bikes of 40 years ago. It handles very well.
A similar bike is the Kawasaki Ninja 650. (Not the 650R. That is lower bars - more radical - uncomfortable). The Ninja sits very well - pretty much upright. The FZ1 sitting is similar.

The Triumph Bonneville suggestions are excellent, too. Not too much power (approx 70 hp) and a comfortable upright seating position.

Remember - with horsepower - it is the power applied to the weight of the vehicle that gives acceleration. A typical car like a Corolla, Civic or Camry has about 135 Hp. Weighs about 3000 lbs. These motorcycles you are talking about weigh about 400 lbs --- big big different - Hp/lb. Motorcycles are much quicker -except for for smallest ones - and even they can match most cars.

The R1 you mentioned is scary high performance - you can't get much higher performance on a motorcycle. Low riding position. The extreme acceleration and power of that bike (approx 160 Hp) is scary to most and would likely be lethal to a beginner.
The Honda 1000 rr is similar to the R1 - not beginner.

Many of these bikes do not get the gas mileage people think. Around 35 mpg is average for many - most Harleys and The other higher powered sports bikes. (A Corolla will get 35 mpg - so are you really saving money with this idea??)
The FZ6 is better - around 50, I think - as would be the Ninja 650.
The 250's Honda CB and ninja 250 are very popular beginner bikes and get somewhere around 60 mpg or maybe better. These are excellent bikes to sharpen skills on - and are usually the bikes used in the motorcycle training courses around the country - MSF. The smaller bikes are more popular right now - and would be easier to sell - if you decided you liked biking and then decided you wanted something different.

I can't stress enough - the training courses - MSF - as the other guys have. It is dangerous stuff. You've got to equip yourself with survival skills - because it is you against the nearly blind world - when you are out riding. And two wheels is so radically different than four wheels - in most aspects of driving and control.

Myself - Triumph Bonneville....
Even that 35 mpg dominates my 15 in my car. And I'm not getting near the R1, I got it confused with the R6. I thought they were just different models, not engine size (stupid to think considering 1 = 1000, 6 =600..)

Old 08-31-2012, 03:09 PM   #45

Liked 460 Times on 267 Posts
Likes Given: 22

[QUOTE="Overkill0084"]
So...HD Sportsters aren't for full sized people? Maybe our OP, Mr. Shagnasty is over 6'? I'm guessing your modded sporty isn't a typical of the species.

I'm 5'9"

Old 08-31-2012, 03:12 PM   #46

Liked 19 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Ignore any 1000cc right now. No need for it! Trust me...don't do it. You can try and convince yourself you will take it easy, but once you start riding you will eventually do something dumb.

Also throttle response on 600s/1k's is insane! A small blip can send you faster than you think. Start on something less "racey" and more forgiving. The new 250s are nice, I had one. Suzuki SV650 is a great option as well. Something you can learn on, grow with, and is still fast.

With that said, photos of some of my previous bikes in the order I had them. Currently bikeless, till next year at least.

Don't think the bike you buy now is your only bike you will own. I had these over the past couple years.

'09 Ninja 250R (with clip-ons/rearsets)

'06 GSXR-600 stock with slip-on

'09 Triumph Street Triple R w/ stuff

'05 Kawasaki 636

'06 Suzuki DRZ400 Supermoto - MOST FUN BIKE EVER!

'97 Shadow VTC-600 Bobber

What do I shoot with? Canon gear of course

Old 08-31-2012, 03:33 PM   #47

Jamesb, how did you like the speed triple compared to the suzie 600?

Feral cat waterboarder

Old 08-31-2012, 03:45 PM   #48
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2530 Times on 1268 Posts
Likes Given: 239

Quote:
Originally Posted by primer1 View Post
BTW, They have test drive bikes. They aren't gonna let anyone come in and ride away a $17,000 bike though.
To be fair, this is a report I had regarding a nearby dealer who manages to treat even the HD faithful as nothing more than wallets to be emptied. Admittedly a somewhat extreme example.
NRA Life Member

"If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand."
Milton Friedman

Last edited by Overkill0084; 08-31-2012 at 03:47 PM.

Old 08-31-2012, 03:52 PM   #49

To be fair, I've had bad service from a dealership. They gave me a questioner, and I sent it in to headquarters telling the truth.

Feral cat waterboarder

Old 08-31-2012, 06:15 PM   #50

Liked 19 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by primer1 View Post
Jamesb, how did you like the speed triple compared to the suzie 600?
Loved it! The sound that thing made was music to my ears. Plenty of power down low. Only thing is the small windshield on the GSXR was nice on the highway. Other than that, the STR was a blast! The CRM pipes I had were incredible sounding. This doesn't do it justice, but only one of the sound clips I have of it.

What do I shoot with? Canon gear of course