Motorcycle? - Page 4
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House >

Motorcycle?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2012, 04:33 PM   #31
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2990 Times on 1945 Posts

Most motorcycle accidents are from the other driver or alcohol related.

If you are sure of yourself to start with a fast bike, go for it. Those 600s are plenty fast, enough power for a wheelie at speed limit. Hondas are a little more forgiving as far as street rideability and controllability.

I've been kicking around the idea of selling my 2000 hd lowrider but haven't been able to yet...

Old 08-29-2012, 08:37 PM   #32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 757 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 477

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandler51 View Post
Geez, PB...sorry to hear that.
Thank you Chandler!

Old 08-29-2012, 09:39 PM   #33

Liked 27 Times on 17 Posts

I recommend the Triumph Bonneville. I'm the third generation of men who only ride triumph. Plus they have a great history.

Old 08-30-2012, 04:27 AM   #34

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts

Default crotch rocket re-visited

crotch rockets are for experianced riders .....not someone just starting to ride ...Shagnasty 1001 has allready alluded to having a hot foot ..likes to drive his car fast ....if he gets a crotch rocket before he'' really ''knows how to ride he will get his ass killed or worse be a veg/quad and somebody will have to take care of him ! Or our tax dollars will pay for his care? .It aint worth it with all due respect Mr chandler 51. you can quote me again if you want

Old 08-30-2012, 05:23 PM   #35

Liked 62 Times on 51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by powg
crotch rockets are for experianced riders .....not someone just starting to ride ...Shagnasty 1001 has allready alluded to having a hot foot ..likes to drive his car fast ....if he gets a crotch rocket before he'' really ''knows how to ride he will get his ass killed or worse be a veg/quad and somebody will have to take care of him ! Or our tax dollars will pay for his care? .It aint worth it with all due respect Mr chandler 51. you can quote me again if you want
Actually, I will "quote" you again....

I was actually referring to the "profiling" and "if you go down and it's the other drivers fault, the powers that be will railroad you and no insurance for your family and yada yada..." part of your moronic post. If you think a Harley is safer than a sport bike, you're kidding yourself. It's all about the ass in the seat. "Mr. Powg".

Old 08-30-2012, 06:45 PM   #36
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5738 Times on 3362 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I have had a couple of Honda CB750's, one a nighthawk, and if i had it to do over, i would get one of those lightweight Kawasaki "ninja" 250's. GREAT mpg's and lightweight would be a great way to get started.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tri70 View Post
I crashed an FZR1000 into the back of a police car!
LOL! If i had pulled that one and lived, i would have had to ask the officer for a donut; i mean, how much more screwed could you get?

Last edited by orangello; 08-30-2012 at 06:48 PM.

Old 08-31-2012, 12:12 AM   #37

Liked 41 Times on 28 Posts

880 sportster... You can trick it out and get great gas mileage. You will also belong to a long line of history being made everyday. Not to mention be riding a "real" motorcycle! (just kidden)
Really though, by a sportster and feel the experience of being apart of something. Then get on, hold on, twist the grip and keep your mouth closed and teeth tight together. You'll be fine. Just always ride defense!

Old 08-31-2012, 12:58 AM   #38

Liked 3257 Times on 1636 Posts
Likes Given: 432

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjacobson View Post
880 sportster... You can trick it out and get great gas mileage. You will also belong to a long line of history being made everyday. Not to mention be riding a "real" motorcycle! (just kidden)
Really though, by a sportster and feel the experience of being apart of something. Then get on, hold on, twist the grip and keep your mouth closed and teeth tight together. You'll be fine. Just always ride defense!
Teeth tight together so your fillings stay put. Did they ever rubber mount the engine on the sportsters?
A part of what? HD riders give Sporty riders large rations of Crap.
"Hey dude, you got something hanging from your crack. Oh wait, sorry that's your sporty." It didn't help that he was 6'2" and not small. It went on like that until he bought a Softtail. Me, I went Triumph. Everyone & their cat around here has a HD or some sort of Plastic super cycle.
NRA Life Member

The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see. - Ayn Rand

Old 08-31-2012, 03:16 AM   #39

Liked 41 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkill0084

Teeth tight together so your fillings stay put. Did they ever rubber mount the engine on the sportsters?
A part of what? HD riders give Sporty riders large rations of Crap.
"Hey dude, you got something hanging from your crack. Oh wait, sorry that's your sporty." It didn't help that he was 6'2" and not small. It went on like that until he bought a Softtail. Me, I went Triumph. Everyone & their cat around here has a HD or some sort of Plastic super cycle.
If he was 6'2" he probably should have bought a bike that fit and, there are sportsters that will fit a 6'2" man/woman. I had a 1200 that I stretched and raked (stroker) and it was bad to the bone.
Also, if a 6'2" man is getting made fun of on a sportster, he isn't meant to own a Harley. Otherwise there would be a lot of other Harley riders or plastic metric riders with missing teeth.
(a part of riding American and pulling into any Harley shop on a Friday night to a BBQ among brothers you have never met)... A part of having an extended family wherever you go...

Old 08-31-2012, 07:27 AM   #40

Liked 114 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 114

That Yamaha FZ6 you like is a very nice bike. A 600 - not enormous power but a lot more than any of the bikes of 40 years ago. It handles very well.
A similar bike is the Kawasaki Ninja 650. (Not the 650R. That is lower bars - more radical - uncomfortable). The Ninja sits very well - pretty much upright. The FZ1 sitting is similar.

The Triumph Bonneville suggestions are excellent, too. Not too much power (approx 70 hp) and a comfortable upright seating position.

Remember - with horsepower - it is the power applied to the weight of the vehicle that gives acceleration. A typical car like a Corolla, Civic or Camry has about 135 Hp. Weighs about 3000 lbs. These motorcycles you are talking about weigh about 400 lbs --- big big different - Hp/lb. Motorcycles are much quicker -except for for smallest ones - and even they can match most cars.

The R1 you mentioned is scary high performance - you can't get much higher performance on a motorcycle. Low riding position. The extreme acceleration and power of that bike (approx 160 Hp) is scary to most and would likely be lethal to a beginner.
The Honda 1000 rr is similar to the R1 - not beginner.

Many of these bikes do not get the gas mileage people think. Around 35 mpg is average for many - most Harleys and The other higher powered sports bikes. (A Corolla will get 35 mpg - so are you really saving money with this idea??)
The FZ6 is better - around 50, I think - as would be the Ninja 650.
The 250's Honda CB and ninja 250 are very popular beginner bikes and get somewhere around 60 mpg or maybe better. These are excellent bikes to sharpen skills on - and are usually the bikes used in the motorcycle training courses around the country - MSF. The smaller bikes are more popular right now - and would be easier to sell - if you decided you liked biking and then decided you wanted something different.

I can't stress enough - the training courses - MSF - as the other guys have. It is dangerous stuff. You've got to equip yourself with survival skills - because it is you against the nearly blind world - when you are out riding. And two wheels is so radically different than four wheels - in most aspects of driving and control.

Myself - Triumph Bonneville....