Motorcycle?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Motorcycle?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2012, 05:02 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 460 Times on 267 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Default Motorcycle?

I've always been interested in motorcycles but never jumped in until now. My car I have now, while all fun to drive and go fast, loooooves to eat up its tank of gas like it hasn't eaten in weeks and it's killing my wallet. So I've been looking into getting a bike to commute to school and work in a much cheaper manner. I've narrowed it down to really three different ones. A Honda CBR600, a Yamaha R1 or R6, and a Yamaha FZ6r. Do any of y'all have any experience with these bikes or which sport bike would you choose/have? Would y'all recommend anything different?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-28-2012, 05:10 PM   #2
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 334 Times on 192 Posts
Likes Given: 602

First off, if you have not taken a motorcycle safety foundation/riding course, please do that first - its never too late to learn something and it could potentially save your life someday. As for a bike, I've had a number of different bikes, offroad, street, etc. These days i ride a dual sport bike because I like to explore - this includes fire/gravel roads as well as regular roads/highways, etc. I still love the exhilaration of going fast, but with all the other hazards on the roads these days (read: soccer moms on the phone, teenagers texting while driving, etc) I am more interested in self preservation - plus I already had my "bad" motorcycle wreck 20 years ago and dont plan to have another...
I suggest getting a smaller, easier handling bike for starters...then if you decide to stick with riding, you can always upgrade to larger bike as your skills and confidence grows....
My $.02...

Old 08-28-2012, 05:14 PM   #3
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

Buy a cheap beater. You will dump it. Roadrash is an inevitability.

I don't need No stinking signature.

People Like This 
Old 08-28-2012, 05:27 PM   #4
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 212 Times on 169 Posts
Likes Given: 116

Find a deal on a Buell Blast and beat it up, then after that go ahead and pick up something with teeth...

Beretta 84FS .380 ACP
Ruger MKIII 22/45 Target .22LR

PWS (Primary Weapons Systems) MK114 5.56

Old 08-28-2012, 05:35 PM   #5
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 334 Times on 192 Posts
Likes Given: 602

+1 on the Blast - bought one for my wife and she ended up not riding it - so i had 2 bikes for a while...kinda wish i kept it - it was a fun little bike for what it was and it was cheap to own and operate

Old 08-28-2012, 05:40 PM   #6

Liked 31 Times on 19 Posts

I never took a course and had never been on a bike before in my life and never wrecked. It's the other drivers you need to watch for. I had a ZX 6R. All of the super sport bikes get great mpg. Can't go wrong with Honda. Don't bother with a buel. The guys I knew that had them didn't care for them. Belt driven and had a govener. They could never go over 120. Not that we needed to go that fast but it happens. Sold mine when my daughter was born. Now it's all guns!

Old 08-28-2012, 05:41 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2967 Times on 1482 Posts
Likes Given: 328

Do you have any street bike experience? If not, take a MSF course. Even if you do have experience, and it's been a few years, take a MSF course.
Have you ridden any of the bikes on your list? They would not be on my list of bikes for newbs. My back hurts just looking at them. For commuting, comfort matters more than firebreathing performance.
Buy something cheap & cheerful that you can sell on after a season of getting experienced. I suggest you hunt down a "Standard" bike. Standard meaning a more upright riding position. Check out something like the 2002 & later Triumph Bonneville and its cousins. Easily managed, comfortable, with decent power and more than a bit of panache. Used HD sportsters are pretty common as well. FWIW, Standard bikes and cruisers will very likely be much cheaper to insure than a full tilt sportbike.
If you must have that kind of big power, check out the "naked" versions of the various sportbikes. Same or similar power without all the plastic, typically with a more realistic riding position.
Again, take a MSF course before you commit to buying anything.

NRA Life Member

"We've replaced what was an exceptional country with a tolerant country. " Greg Gutfeld

Old 08-28-2012, 05:45 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2865 Times on 1492 Posts
Likes Given: 254

I have been riding since 1979 when I bought my first bike. I did not take an MSF course until I started riding Motors for my agency. The course is a huge skill builder. Skills you never even thought you might need. I have now been to two intermediate MSF courses and a Police Motorcycle Training course put on by Harley Davidson and Northwestern University.

Take the class and start off small. After a year, move up.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 08-28-2012, 05:45 PM   #9

Liked 1000 Times on 598 Posts
Likes Given: 16

My first bike was a Honda Nighthawk750 back in 2000, it was a nice bike and was easy to operate. I wouldnt advise getting a big bike as your first one, let your skills and experience grow a little bit first. Another good first bike would be something like a yamaha Vstar650

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

Old 08-28-2012, 05:47 PM   #10

Liked 1000 Times on 598 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvia
I never took a course and had never been on a bike before in my life and never wrecked. It's the other drivers you need to watch for. I had a ZX 6R. All of the super sport bikes get great mpg. Can't go wrong with Honda. Don't bother with a buel. The guys I knew that had them didn't care for them. Belt driven and had a govener. They could never go over 120. Not that we needed to go that fast but it happens. Sold mine when my daughter was born. Now it's all guns!
I used to have a Ninja ZX636, it was a badazz ride, sold it a few years ago. I regret it now

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis