Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > A ? for the moter heads out there

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2010, 10:35 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 172 Times on 98 Posts
Likes Given: 376

Default A ? for the moter heads out there

So i have a 1986 chevy k-10 pickup truck with a 305 v8, and it has the stock 4bbl quadrajet. Truck runs fine, except after driving for awhile if i turn the truck off, go into a store real quick and come back, the starter dosent want to crank, but if i let the truck cool off for about another 5 min it will crack just fine. So do you think the the starter is prone to the heat, and i just need to replace or what? Thanks for any input.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
--George Washington

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-14-2010, 10:54 PM   #2

I had a 1985 Chevy Blazer with the same problem. Replaced the starter and it was all better.

"Who are the militia? Are they not ourselves. Congress have no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birth-right of an American...(T)he unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people." (Tench Coxe, Freeman's Journal, 20 Feb 1778)

Old 03-14-2010, 11:05 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

thanks, thats good news and an easy fix! Now it just needs to stop raining so i can get underneth of it and replace it! LOL I do love working on it though roomy and easy, man i love them old chevys!

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
--George Washington

Old 03-14-2010, 11:27 PM   #4

Liked 271 Times on 182 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Starter is older and has begun to draw too many amps to turn over and solenoid on top of starter is probably about to go too. This is especially noticable when it is hot. Chevy's usually have a tin heat shield over the solenoid to reflect some of the exhaust manifold heat away. When you buy a new or rebuilt starter these days they usually come with the solenoid. Try to get a High Torque starter when you replace the old starter and replace the heat shield over the new solenoid when you install new starter. If your rig has headders the heat problem is a tad worse.

Also check that your alternator is putting out 14 volts and have your battery "load" checked for cranking load. The battery can put out 12 volts as measured but under load may be providing low amps. Low battery amps can cause your starter to over heat as it is turning over.

Last edited by mrm14; 03-14-2010 at 11:46 PM.

Old 03-15-2010, 12:19 AM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Here is what I did to solve the same problem (GM vehicle, 1978):

The problem is heat soak. A heat-soaked solenoid won't complete the circuit between the battery-ignition-starter. An issue especially of you have headers. Cheapest way to fix it is to buy a new solenoid and "remote" mount it on the inside of the fender well. You will have to get a new batter cable and solenoid, but all told you will be well under 50 bucks. DIsconnect the old solenoid (mounted on the starter) and mount/ hook up the new one as per the instructions. No more heat soak.

Hope this helps

Old 03-15-2010, 03:42 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

thanks a bunch everyone!

--George Washington

Old 03-15-2010, 10:07 AM   #7

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

You might also have a loose or bad ground connection between the chassis and the block, or the chassis and the battery. I had the same thing on an F-150 and I changed the started and it didn't help until I checked the grounding. Just a heads up.

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
- Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJAMISON View Post
wow. i didn't finish. and i want that time i just wasted back. I was hoping for at least a pic of Bea Arthur in her undies .