You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House >

Most influential Album, for me it was Animals!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2014, 11:53 AM   #31
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8293 Times on 4265 Posts
Likes Given: 9560

Singles are/ were cool but I have a love for albums that tell a story, (Who) Tommy was another great one! They were modern day operas with a beat my foot liked and words that made me think for a moment or two! Some of the Album covers were pretty slick also, I could stare at them for hours, they often unlocked some of the doors to the story. Genesis Foxtrot was amazing that way, every song in the album was represented in the Artwork. If you listen to the words, they illuminate amazing introspects into our technological changing society. So much of what they warned about in Foxtrot is coming to pass, if we had only listened then1

Nothing new I hear new today does that at all for me! There is no message other than placation of animal desires and self adulation. None offer any brilliance or introspect, most just speak of humanity like were just a bunch of over stimulated leg humpers and wanna be felons. For a society that supposedly has risen past racial intolerance and treating Women like second class citizens, you couldnt tell that from the music were hearing. Those that we made whole in the 60's and 70's are continually stereotyped horribly by themselves and billions are spent finding new and interesting ways to offend common decency.

I didnt like hearing George Carlin say Phuck 400 times when me and some buddies went to see him, after the second or third time, It was just rude. The Word N*gger is OK to use as long as your an American African, if your a cracker, you better not think it much less say it, out of the thousands of times Ive heard that word in my life, its been from minorities 95% of the time, its not right or useful. Twerking is not dancing, its screwing with some body parts covered! Rapping about killing Cops, bashing a White Guy, banging your Ho's Girlfriend or hanging out, doing nothing and slurping up the Working Mans Gravy is nothing but disgusting. It tells another story that we will learn nothing good from, how to destroy a society from the inside out.

OK, enough of my rant, back to whats good and whats great
----Good music makes me want to sing along even if I dont know the words, dance, party and smoke and joke with buddies and new friends.

----Great Music for me is historical, entertaining and the urge to tap my foot at the same time, not so much a time for talking, only listening and maybe singing along one Ive learned the words.

Old 06-28-2014, 12:31 PM   #32
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3392 Times on 2294 Posts
Likes Given: 710

My top 10 most influential !...Hmm...

10-King Crimson -Discipline(1981)
9-Van Halen's 1st....
8-Kiss-Destroyer
7-Pat Metheny ( with the orig. Band) "Witicha"
6-The Doors Morrison Hotel
5- Cream-Fresh Creem
4-Jeff Beck-Jeff Beck Group
3-KingCrimson-Court of the Crimson King
2-Pink Floyd-Wish you were Here
1-Yes-Fragile...

I have a lot of honorable mentions tho,...
Including Grateful Dead's Europe 72, Little Feat Waiting for Columbus, and Let it Roll,..
ELP's Trilogy, Asia's first 2,...Genesis
, and then there were Three and "Lamb on Broadway" live,..Steely Dan, CSN&Y,
I thought the Live Floyd album recorded in the mid 90's( some of the tracks were recorded at the Yankee Stadium Show I was at...) was Just one of the best Orchestrated s
Concert albums ever( I think it was"Delicate Sound of thunder).,,,Can't leave out Clapton or Page,...and yes Tommy was Great too. I saw a documentary on it with Both Daltry & Townsend , and the eng.,....

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...
WebleyFosbery38 Likes This 
Old 06-28-2014, 12:31 PM   #33
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6246 Times on 4130 Posts
Likes Given: 3211

Nobody just has the patience to listen to a whole album as one composition anymore. Me, give me the time uninterrupted, I'll listen to the Dark Side of the Moon for the 10000th time. It is the pinnacle of rock n roll production. The opening of "Time". Genius.

Surprised no one mentioned Zeppelin #4. Don't know how influential to the world, but to me, oh yeah. It is medieval in musical depth. The themes go back a long way. In lay terms- not a musician here.
People Like This 
Old 06-28-2014, 01:06 PM   #34
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercator View Post
Nobody just has the patience to listen to a whole album as one composition anymore. Me, give me the time uninterrupted, I'll listen to the Dark Side of the Moon for the 10000th time. It is the pinnacle of rock n roll production. The opening of "Time". Genius.

Surprised no one mentioned Zeppelin #4. Don't know how influential to the world, but to me, oh yeah. It is medieval in musical depth. The themes go back a long way. In lay terms- not a musician here.
I love Zeppelin, (Misty Mountain Hop one of my fav) they rocked like nobody else but I fear I heard STH about 200 too many times, right up there with Freebird, awesome songs they beat us to death with. You might not know either bands had any other good music if you listen to any rock stations nowadays! My Favorite Skynard Album was Second Helping, fav song, The Ballad of Curtis Loew!

Old 06-28-2014, 01:29 PM   #35
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Speaking of skynyrd. A lot of creative second-guesswork went into "reading between the lines" of Sweet Home AL. I think wysiwyg, the "guv'nor" and all. It was a Johnny rebel song. (Not necessary written by Johnny - stage persona does not equal the person). Anyone thinks they were being cryptic or sarcastic in Sweet Home?

Old 06-28-2014, 01:42 PM   #36

Liked 2025 Times on 1201 Posts
Likes Given: 403

Quote:
Speaking of skynyrd. A lot of creative second-guesswork went into "reading between the lines" of Sweet Home AL. I think wysiwyg, the "guv'nor" and all. It was a Johnny rebel song. (Not necessary written by Johnny - stage persona does not equal the person). Anyone thinks they were being cryptic or sarcastic in Sweet Home?
I son't see it quite that way, but my interpretation may be inaccurate or just biased, being a 6th generation Southerner.

After "love the guv'nor" I hear the the black female chorus singing "Oh, Oh, Oh" which I always translated as "no, no, no." I think the line was an apology for George Wallace in particular and rampant racism in general. When this song was written, many young Southerners we awaking to the errors of our fathers.

Carl Sagan

Old 06-28-2014, 01:50 PM   #37

Liked 286 Times on 230 Posts
Likes Given: 1253

1- black Sabbath "paranoid"
2-pink Floyd " the wall" + the movie lol
3- ozzy "blizzard of ozz"
4-social d " self title"
5-anthrax "among the living"
6-suicidal tendencies a lot of theres lol
7-metallica all there old stuff "ride the lightning"
8-dc talk " intermission" and that book of theres that came out around the same time, cant remember the name of it.
9-eric Clapton " from the cradle"
10- white zombie, b-52s, oingo boingo , the clash, boston, creed, 3 doors down, blackfoot, disturbed , tons more lol and I haven't even got to the country yet

Old 06-28-2014, 02:30 PM   #38
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
That was when The north had started telling the south how to live in the 60's and 70's yet again. Im pretty sure they were pointing out the hypocrisy of it all considering the North had little to be proud of at that point. Weve done this again since but the Rebel will get the last laugh and all the northern jobs...

Old 06-28-2014, 02:42 PM   #39
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainfire View Post
I son't see it quite that way, but my interpretation may be inaccurate or just biased, being a 6th generation Southerner.

After "love the guv'nor" I hear the the black female chorus singing "Oh, Oh, Oh" which I always translated as "no, no, no." I think the line was an apology for George Wallace in particular and rampant racism in general. When this song was written, many young Southerners we awaking to the errors of our fathers.
I did not know or detect it was black chorus. I heard "Boo, Boo, Boo", tongue in cheek. I hear resignation, leaving the past behind, moving on, knowing the sweet home is still there. Guess we may never know for sure. Maybe that's how they wanted it.

Old 06-28-2014, 02:49 PM   #40
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

PS. When I lived in AL, I met a former Wallace advisor, was a guest at his house. He was ailing, mostly in a wheelchair, as was his ex-boss. He was not a reactionary redneck by any means. He maintained that George had been a political animal first, not a dyed in the wool racist.