Most influential Album, for me it was Animals! - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Most influential Album, for me it was Animals!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2014, 06:44 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 573 Times on 413 Posts
Likes Given: 180

The first time I heard an entire Pink Floyd album was at this fellows trailer he put right at the edge of a pine cutover way the Hell back in the hills of Ga. Of course we were pretty sloshed and it was Animals,, still my favorite by them. I think the ambience of that guy's black lights, the eerie location,, way back in the woods,, put an extra touch on the tunes,, after Floyd, it was Black Sabbath, ELP, Hendrix,,, we went out there a lot until the dummy got thrown in jail,, we never heard why,, we lived in the next county.
People Like This 
Old 06-26-2014, 07:03 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 702 Times on 466 Posts

I am no musician so IMO meaningful albums are more about where you are in your life than any real musical genius. So I'll give this a couple answers.

First real holy crap, wow album was The Who's Qdadraphenia. Still wear it out today, and own the movie. I love Townsend as a writer.

Since then I'd say other albums that really wowed me the most were John Mayal and the Bluesbreakers with Clapton. Hendrix heard how Clapton played on that album and it influenced his style. That's saying something.

Just Won't Burn by Susan Tedeschi clued me into the fact that there are some really good females blues artists out there. Until that point I never gave them a chance.

Exile on Main St by the Stones was what it really took to get me to get into any Stones music. There more modern music doesn't do much for me, but their older music does.

I like Animals by Floyd and it is a mainstay of my collection, but for some reason The Final Cut was always my favorite Floyd album. But I may own them all so I am not too picky when it comes to them.

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk
People Like This 
Old 06-26-2014, 07:40 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1159 Times on 707 Posts
Likes Given: 511

Animals for me as well. Although not regarded as a truly successful album at the time, it was clever, insightful, and truly a lyrical and instrumental masterpiece...
That was the first whole album I purchased on iTunes! Have owned in vinyl, cassette, and twice in cd as well.
I truly cannot change the station when it is playing and will remain in my truck until no longer on....perhaps sitting in the parking lot of my destination (yes, I'm THAT guy!)

"Hey, you White House.....ha haaaaa charade you are"

Disclaimer: I am not a musician, but I played one all the way through college, majoring in classical violin performance.

People Like This 
Old 06-26-2014, 07:47 PM   #14
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 968 Times on 682 Posts
Likes Given: 279

Actually my first album was a bunch of 45s by Buddy Holly. First real album was Merle Haggard. It was a while back.

Old 06-26-2014, 10:58 PM   #15
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3380 Times on 2286 Posts
Likes Given: 710

Default Most influential Album, for me it was Animals!

Sarge we have a similar taste in music, as I see most of us on this thread. Growing up in the Bronx I got exposed to a lot of different genres of music. I put down the violin at 12(started with both at 5 & 6) to focus strictly on Guitar, and had to pick up the violin again for HS a bit . Again, I didn't get into Floyd until "Wish" came out. But 3 years earlier I was sitting intently with my radio shack headphones trying to learn every lick of Steve Howe from YES and the album Fragile. Right after that, Bill Bruford left yes to play drums in KING CRIMSON, and was a member on and off until his retirement from performing in 2007...although I'm still a YES fan, I miss Bruford's style of drumming. Wish I could see them this summer, but they are already sold out, even with another new singer( this one, Jon Davidson, is the closest to Jon Anderson in some time, which is why their set is still 80% old music)...I urge anyone who has never been to a Yes Show to go. If for no other reason to hear Steve Howe play(74 and still tearing it up!!). I saw then two summers ago, and even with only 2 original members,...(Howe and Bassist/Vocalist Chris Squire) they are amazing. I put Gilmour, Howe, Crimsons ' Robert Fripp, in the same level as Hendrix, beck, Clapton, and Page....Also, Asia is back together as well( last year they did a tour with YES, with Howe and Geoff Downes playing both Sets...) almost was a rocker, until I learned to make " music" with rotor blades....

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Last edited by DrFootball; 06-27-2014 at 01:18 AM.
WebleyFosbery38 Likes This 
Old 06-27-2014, 12:00 AM   #16
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7877 Times on 4040 Posts
Likes Given: 9023

I saw Asia in a large school aud in Germany a month after their first Album went through the roof. They are fantastic! Yes I love Yes Also!!!

Old 06-27-2014, 12:14 AM   #17

Liked 3615 Times on 2065 Posts
Likes Given: 2504

Going For the One tour, in the round, at The Spectrum, in Philly, August 3, 1977.

Awesome!

Old 06-27-2014, 01:11 AM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1528 Times on 1041 Posts
Likes Given: 1667

I can`t put my finger on a most influential album, but I really like AC/DC........Here check this out !...........

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=472616656194519&set=vb.100003385674219 &type=2&theater

Old 06-27-2014, 01:40 AM   #19
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3380 Times on 2286 Posts
Likes Given: 710

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatmydust View Post
Going For the One tour, in the round, at The Spectrum, in Philly, August 3, 1977.

Awesome!

I saw the same show In Madison Sq. Garden earlier that tour.

I saw them in:1974 @ Gailec Park, Bronx NY(the Infamous "Outdoor laser" show) 1976 & 1977 @ MSG.,..then not again until 1984 with 90125(great show but no Steve Howe) 1988-Big Generator tour(sounded better live then on record,..still no Steve Howe) 1989 Anderson Bruford Wakeman & Howe tour(both studio and live album outstanding, the tour that made Squire tuck his tail and return) 1990(Union album),..Live tour was called "Re-Union" 8 piece band, Both Howe & Trevor Rabin on Guitar,..Bruford & Alan White on Drums, and Wakeman & Tony Kaye on Keys....saw it twice!!)
1994-Talk, Last album with Rabin first Album to be recorded direct to a Mac Computer & Hard drive!
1996-Keys To ascension1 & 2....
1999 Homeworld(Ok album-Better Live-last of the "2 Guitar" yes lineups, Billy Sherwood split later that year, Wakeman's replacement Igor Korsharev split as well-Live album "Yes In the House Of Blues-New Years Even 1999" did and sold better..
2001 Symphonic-recorded and toured with several different Orchestras, Video concert "Yes In Amsterdam" recorded with the Europe World Orchestra...Saw them on Long Island at Jones Beach Theatre that Early September, just a few days before 9/11......Long Island Philharmonic backing...
2003 "sessions-live in Mountreaux" last album with sort of an original line up...
2008-"yes at 40" concert tour,..
2010-11 Toured with replacement singer for Jon Anderson after a "resperitory attack" left Anderson unable to continue...replaced by Benoit David,..did not fare well
2012-Released "Fly from Here" based on songs Trevor Rabin, Goeff Downes, and Trevor Horn wrote in 1980 for Drama Album that were left off. Downs Returns to Yes, while both he and Howe play with Both Asia & Yes. Recruits Jon Davidson to be new singer
2014-July Release of "Heven & Earth",..Touring Smaller venues, tour already sold out across the US...

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Old 06-27-2014, 02:09 AM   #20

Liked 353 Times on 259 Posts
Likes Given: 358

For me, Abbey Road, by John Paul and George et al.